SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

12 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Sorry to hear that some are dismissing COVID deaths because they are just old people that are close to death anyway. I guess I respectfully disagree. What I agree with is trying to keep younger folks active.

It is not dismissing, it is taking an entire picture view of the situation, something that the "if it saves just one life" crowd has never done throughout all of this.  With few exceptions, most people don't want to die or see someone die.  However some of those exceptions can occur in LTC when people's quality of life is already shot and they give up......or when you see how much pain and suffering someone is in you may wish for them to die.  With the average age of a Covid death being right around the expected life expectancy of a person that dies without Covid, it is not unreasonable to say that if not Covid the reality is something else had a very good chance of doing them in.  People don't live forever.  Now if Covid was killing off massive numbers of 40-50 year old people that is an entirely different beast, but that's not what is happening.  The safety of the elderly and vulnerable should be BALANCED with the what is best for the younger and healthy.  The Covid response in this nation has to this point been an all or nothing let's do whatever it takes to save one 90 year old person that is close to dying anyways which is ridiculous.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

It is not dismissing, it is taking an entire picture view of the situation, something that the "if it saves just one life" crowd has never done throughout all of this.  With few exceptions, most people don't want to die or see someone die.  However some of those exceptions can occur in LTC when people's quality of life is already shot and they give up......or when you see how much pain and suffering someone is in you may wish for them to die.  With the average age of a Covid death being right around the expected life expectancy of a person that dies without Covid, it is not unreasonable to say that if not Covid the reality is something else had a very good chance of doing them in.  People don't live forever.  Now if Covid was killing off massive numbers of 40-50 year old people that is an entirely different beast, but that's not what is happening.  The safety of the elderly and vulnerable should be BALANCED with the what is best for the younger and healthy.  The Covid response in this nation has to this point been an all or nothing let's do whatever it takes to save one 90 year old person that is close to dying anyways which is ridiculous.  

this^^^^^^^  150 million times, this^^^^.  this is what the medical community will not come to grips with.  and i understand this.  their job is to basicly help you live as long as possible, so they take it personally when they are getting beat, as most people would. i really wish they would take a step back and look at it from a 30000 foot level.   help the vulnerable, but do not hinder the younger, healthier crowd.

24 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

It is not dismissing, it is taking an entire picture view of the situation, ... 

Single variate thinking in a multivariate world is failure. 

Translated: If all you are concerned about is Covid, you're accepting lockdown delayed deaths due to mental health and undiagnosed medical problems that could've been dealt with before they became fatalities. 

Life is risk management. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Who's getting their panties in a bunch besides you? Though it's hilarious if you don't think it's going to end up with the same issues as Twitter or end up a giant sh*t show. Parler has, predictably, already ran into issues with their "free speech" policy. 

LOL. Far from it but I'm guessing you didn't have an original comment (again) but already had a link to someone else's thoughts on the matter queued up. I have zero issues with Parler but I'm also not pretending it's something it isn't at this point in time. 

Exactly. Not sure why this is such a problem for some to admit. The are literally right-wing personalities advertising it as this, yet it's apparently taboo to admit. I don't get it. 

Why does it matter if conservatives are tired of tech tyrants censorship and decide to have their own social media platform? It's really not hurting anyone. It's hurting Liberals and Tech Tyrants because they can't censer their opinions. Parler now has a lot of the conservatives people on their platform. I find it funny that the left-leaning people are butthurt by this. Whgy? You guys control Twitter, Facebook and Youtube. Now conservatives can have a platform where they don't have to put up with that. Rumble is also a great alternative to Youtube. 

10 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Any chance that Burgum engineered this whole youth sports thing simply to troll Walz?  I mean, the timing couldn’t have been better, AND with ND skating, Walz is gonna get like 10x the pressure from hockey parents in his state that he was already assured to get.  How does he not cave?

After all, ND has the highest f**king mortality rate IN THE WORLD, right? The arguments practically make themselves.

One would think hockey of all sports is probably pretty safe. Kids are covered head to toe.

Wrestling and basketball are a bit different. I could hypothetically see that as a problem. Wrestling has a pretty well documented history of spreading stuff lol

25 minutes ago, Goon said:

Why does it matter if conservatives are tired of tech tyrants censorship and decide to have their own social media platform? It's really not hurting anyone. It's hurting Liberals and Tech Tyrants because they can't censer their opinions. Parler now has a lot of the conservatives people on their platform. I find it funny that the left-leaning people are butthurt by this. Whgy? You guys control Twitter, Facebook and Youtube. Now conservatives can have a platform where they don't have to put up with that. Rumble is also a great alternative to Youtube. 

No problem with any of that. No one's butt hurt either. Just honestly curious why folks would want to limit their social media interactions to places predominated by those who think alike. Getting broader exposure to more varied voices would be more desirable, I'd think. Echo-chamber think would get really boring after a while. That's why it's so fun to lurk here where varied perspectives abound. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Teeder11 said:

Getting broader exposure to more varied voices would be more desirable, I'd think. 

It is. 

The problem is when the hosting service squelches one side of those voices or declares itself the supreme arbiter of truth. 

• Upvote 1

Just got the following in an email

have not confirmed it, but seems legit:

Here are the last 10 years of total deaths in the US from all causes:

• Deaths: 2,468,435

• Population: 309,346,863

.00798% of deaths to population

• Deaths: 2,515,458

• Population: 311,718,857

• Deaths: 2,543,279

• Population: 314,102,623

• Deaths: 2,596,993

• Population: 316,427,395

• Deaths: 2,626,418

• Population: 318,907,401

• Deaths: 2,712,630 

• Population: 321,418,820

• Deaths: 2,744,248

• Population: 323,071,342

• Deaths: 2,813,503

• Population: 325,147,121

• Deaths: 2,839,205

• Population: 327,167,439

• Deaths: 2,855,000

• Population: 329,110,439

2020    Something ain't right here??

• As of September 24th there are 2,033,736 total deaths in the US. That is a daily average of 7,588 deaths. 

7,588 X 365 days= 2,769,620 being the total deaths we could expect in 2020 based on the numbers through 09/24/2020.

So the question is this: How can we have less deaths in the US if there is a pandemic going on?  For the last 100 years there has never been a decrease in total deaths per year in the US.

If this were a normal year, with no pandemic, we should have around 2,875,000 deaths. But this isn’t a normal year so we should end up with around 3,200,000 deaths when you add in the Covid-19 deaths. 

Someone isn’t telling us the truth...(media and or government OR BOTH)!!!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

No problem with any of that. No one's butt hurt either. Just honestly curious why folks would want to limit their social media interactions to places predominated by those who think alike. Getting broader exposure to more varied voices would be more desirable, I'd think. Echo-chamber think would get really boring after a while. That's why it's so fun to lurk here where varied perspectives abound. 

I think @Sicatoka sums it up best. One side is being squelched and muted. That's not a platform that many on the conservative side want to be a part of. Why should they? People are leaving Twitter because of this. Obviously, this drives the left-leaning folks insane because they can't control and squelch the exercise of free thought and speech. Twitter and Facebook a censoring true stories because their left-leaning people don't like the message.  Check out this interview

12 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Just got the following in an email

have not confirmed it, but seems legit:

Here are the last 10 years of total deaths in the US from all causes:

• Deaths: 2,468,435

• Population: 309,346,863

.00798% of deaths to population

• Deaths: 2,515,458

• Population: 311,718,857

• Deaths: 2,543,279

• Population: 314,102,623

• Deaths: 2,596,993

• Population: 316,427,395

• Deaths: 2,626,418

• Population: 318,907,401

• Deaths: 2,712,630 

• Population: 321,418,820

• Deaths: 2,744,248

• Population: 323,071,342

• Deaths: 2,813,503

• Population: 325,147,121

• Deaths: 2,839,205

• Population: 327,167,439

• Deaths: 2,855,000

• Population: 329,110,439

2020    Something ain't right here??

• As of September 24th there are 2,033,736 total deaths in the US. That is a daily average of 7,588 deaths. 

7,588 X 365 days= 2,769,620 being the total deaths we could expect in 2020 based on the numbers through 09/24/2020.

So the question is this: How can we have less deaths in the US if there is a pandemic going on?  For the last 100 years there has never been a decrease in total deaths per year in the US.

If this were a normal year, with no pandemic, we should have around 2,875,000 deaths. But this isn’t a normal year so we should end up with around 3,200,000 deaths when you add in the Covid-19 deaths. 

Someone isn’t telling us the truth...(media and or government OR BOTH)!!!

Im not sure any of thosr numbers are accurate. When I looked a few months ago into real numbers I had to admit that there was a demonstrable increase in overall deaths in the country.

21 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Bidens (if elected) Virus Adviser claims we will not lock down country.

The Biden administration won't but the states will.  Wonder if federal dollars will be part of the decision?

Meanwhile, in Alberta, ... this guy

“He received his general medical degrees from Cambridge University in the UK (M.A., M.B., B. Chir.) where he was a scholar at Corpus Christi College. Following a residency at the University of British Columbia he became a Royal College certified general pathologist (FRCPC) and also a Fellow of the College of American Pathologists (FCAP).”

“He is in good Standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta, and has been recognized by the Court of Queen’s Bench in Alberta as an expert in pathology.”

says 

“There is utterly unfounded public hysteria driven by the media and politicians, it’s outrageous, this is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on an unsuspecting public,” said Hodkinson.

The doctor said that nothing could be done to stop the spread of the virus besides protecting older more vulnerable people and that the whole situation represented “politics playing medicine, and that’s a very dangerous game.”

https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/top-pathologist-claims-covid-19-greatest-hoax-ever-perpetrated-unsuspecting-public 

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

Now that you've added nothing you can go back to getting off on K-12 kids getting locked down so the 90 year old nursing home resident that wants to die anyways can make it another couple weeks.  

Feel free to look back at my posts. I've repeatedly said I thought they needed to do whatever possible to keep kids in school. That was literally my highest priority. If that took some personal sacrifices for myself and others, it was worth it. Unfortunately that became impossible when they literally don't have enough staff (which includes support staff, paras, specialty teachers) to monitor all the classrooms which is happening everywhere in Grand Forks.

1 hour ago, Goon said:

It literally doesn't matter. You're the one who got offended when I made a joke that Parler was a safe space for the far-right, which isn't that far off. No one is upset about it other than you, who is somehow afraid to admit what it is, even though you are literally doing that in your post above. Personally, I prefer to understand both sides of discussions, which is why I think Twitter is personally fine. If I see something that is marked as inaccurate and I actually care, I will look into it. Don't care if its right or left. Despite being right leaning, I have no issue with how companies handle their free to use platforms. 

5 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnd...... In other news a ss.com thread just hit it's highest recorded level of creepiness outside of a recruiting thread.

At least his mail in vote was counted in Milwaukee.....

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

... they literally don't have enough staff (which includes support staff, paras, specialty teachers) to monitor all the classrooms which is happening everywhere in Grand Forks.

Would it be wrong to take my "free drinks" offer to Grand Forks but change "health care" to "school system employees"? 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Would it be wrong to take my "free drinks" offer to Grand Forks but change "health care" to "school system employees"? 

From what I hear, you'd probably have at least a few takers. Which is definitely part of the disappointment. I firmly believe there is a fair amount of spreading going on by the kids, but they are asymptomatic so their cases aren't necessarily being caught and counted but there is steps that could be taken by some staff that would also help.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Feel free to look back at my posts. I've repeatedly said I thought they needed to do whatever possible to keep kids in school. That was literally my highest priority. If that took some personal sacrifices for myself and others, it was worth it. Unfortunately that became impossible when they literally don't have enough staff (which includes support staff, paras, specialty teachers) to monitor all the classrooms which is happening everywhere in Grand Forks.

It literally doesn't matter. You're the one who flipped out when I made a joke that Parler was a safe space for the far-right, which isn't that far off. No one is upset about it other than you, who is somehow afraid to admit what it is, even though you are literally doing that in your post above. 

I didn't flip out, I took issue with your short-sighted opinion. It sounded like CNN had handed you a set of talking points. In all seriousness, the left-leaning media is upset because they can't control the narrative. They're losing power. Here's the deal when you swear an oath to defend the constitution of the United States of America, you're not only swearing an oath to protect the opinions you agree with. You're swearing an oath to protect differing opinions. Yes, I know that some don't like people having the right for free speech. In essence you're swearing an oath to protect freedom. Freedoms that we enjoy as Americans. That freedom including creating a social media platform of one's choosing that isn't approved of by the left and the left-leaning media. 

This thread has been enlightening and interesting. At times frustrating. I have learned much about what people are thinking and what they base their thoughts on. I try to add my thoughts at times to counter the flow and get clarification from others. Thanks to all for their input. 

• Upvote 1