SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/local/health/positive-virus-tests-mount-after-north-dakota-plant-outbreak/article_f11a5390-de62-58b8-b3bc-efce9f4d36bd.html

Nearly 900 total people work at LM Windpower. 424 tests were administered to infected workers and their family members. 110 positive cases were found. 52 tests do not have results. Only 1 hospitalized so far. A second mass testing event will be held next week in GF.

Burgum is quoted saying he doesn't think an outbreak could have been prevented because it is a “highly contagious disease that is spread very easily" and clusters have popped up in places that have taken extreme precautions, such as nursing homes.

The plant will remain closed for 14 days, employees will still be paid, and are told to remain at home to self quarantine.

5 minutes ago, dynato said:

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/local/health/positive-virus-tests-mount-after-north-dakota-plant-outbreak/article_f11a5390-de62-58b8-b3bc-efce9f4d36bd.html

Nearly 900 total people work at LM Windpower. 424 tests were administered to infected workers and their family members. 110 positive cases were found. 52 tests do not have results. Only 1 hospitalized so far. A second mass testing event will be held next week in GF.

Burgum is quoted saying he doesn't think an outbreak could have been prevented because it is a “highly contagious disease that is spread very easily" and clusters have popped up in places that have taken extreme precautions, such as nursing homes.

The plant will remain closed for 14 days, employees will still be paid, and are told to remain at home to self quarantine.

Can anyone that worked there provide some insight as to what protective measures were or were not in place? What was done right and what was done wrong?

Just now, Redneksioux said:

Can anyone that worked there provide some insight as to what protective measures were or were not in place? What was done right and what was done wrong?

I'd suggest you drop the conversation on what additional preventative measures current industries can take. Most are likely doing as much as they can without financially ruining themselves or laying off people. This virus has been found to be asymptomatic the first few days. It is also highly contagious, even when showing no symptoms. Meaning it spreads to many people before it is known to even be an issue. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dynato said:

I'd suggest you drop the conversation on what additional preventative measures current industries can take. Most are likely doing as much as they can without financially ruining themselves or laying off people. This virus has been found to be asymptomatic the first few days. It is also highly contagious, even when showing no symptoms. Meaning it spreads to many people before it is known to even be an issue. 

Exactly.  His/her posts are devoid from reality.  But hey I guess if everyone was able to permanently stay at home in a cocoon of bubble wrap, maybe every single outbreak could be avoided.    

3 hours ago, dynato said:

Hey shh nothing to see here.

With 900 employees we will eventually hear some stories.

The sad fact of the matter is OSHA issued only 'guidance suggestions' on how to keep workers safe from the Coronavirus.  No new legal obligations exist for employers.  That said, it doesn't let employers off the hook for basic negligence.   I have no idea about ND state law.  

Switching topics, it will be interesting, a few weeks from now, to assess the extent to which 'shutting things down' helped keep Covid within the confines of this workplace.  

• Upvote 1

In one Massachusetts city, about one-third of randomly tested people tested posiive for Coronavirus antibodies.   In a city with a 2% reported case rate, that's 16-1 ratio.  

Many cautions apply of course: the test hasn't been FDA approved (but it was good enough for Mass General); these were people out-and-about, it sounds like (strictly sheltering in place population is probably lower prevalance, etc).  

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/17/business/nearly-third-200-blood-samples-taken-chelsea-show-exposure-coronavirus/

• Upvote 1

You test everyone is GF >10,000 plus probably have had it or currently do. 

I'm shocked by how people are acting shocked a bunch of tests came back positive.

More tests = higher numbers. The huge increase just happened to correspond with Grand Forks first drive up testing.

• Upvote 1

According to CDC.gov from 2/1 thru 4/11 there have been 1169 deaths that were recorded as COVID-19 only for the ages of 54 and younger. COVID plus pneumonia deaths are another 449. So that's 1618 total COVID related deaths 54 and younger. That age group makes up 260M+ people in this country. Those people also make up a vast majority of our workforce. BTW the same age group, 54 and under, during same time frame above recorded 141009 deaths from all causes.

2x as many children 4 and under died from all causes compared to the COVID total in the 54 and younger group during that time.

The CDC does note lag in data received and recorded but does take into "presumed" COVID deaths via ICD-10 coding in the numbers above.

I also fully understand these numbers are not to the day, or minute in real time.

When one hears some continually parroting "save lives", which has been the drumbeat from both sides from the beginning, and you see numbers published by the CDC like this, albeit just thru 4/11, it make one wonder WTF is actually going on in our county when you look at the total picture and what the end game is.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

According to CDC.gov from 2/1 thru 4/11 there have been 1169 deaths that were recorded as COVID-19 only for the ages of 54 and younger. COVID plus pneumonia deaths are another 449. So that's 1618 total COVID related deaths 54 and younger. That age group makes up 260M+ people in this country. Those people also make up a vast majority of our workforce. BTW the same age group, 54 and under, during same time frame above recorded 141009 deaths from all causes.

2x as many children 4 and under died from all causes compared to the COVID total in the 54 and younger group during that time.

The CDC does note lag in data received and recorded but does take into "presumed" COVID deaths via ICD-10 coding in the numbers above.

I also fully understand these numbers are not to the day, or minute in real time.

When one hears some continually parroting "save lives", which has been the drumbeat from both sides from the beginning, and you see numbers published by the CDC like this, albeit just thru 4/11, it make one wonder WTF is actually going on in our county when you look at the total picture and what the end game is.

If covid19 is such a minor blip when you look at the big picture, how can you explain the worldwide shortage on ppe and certain meds?

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

If covid19 is such a minor blip when you look at the big picture, how can you explain the worldwide shortage on ppe and certain meds?

How can I explain gas for 94 cents a gallon in Red Wing MN while the Faygo 24oz pop I bought along with it costs $1.29?

I’m curious to see how this plays out in Sweden...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8233783/Sweden-herd-immunity-month-claims-infectious-diseases-chief.html