SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

25 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

https://apple.news/A2pcWeeA0RBK6Aaq93FVdlg

More on the smithfield debacle. Noem knew about the outbreak for a month and instead of acting she went on Fox News bragging about how well South Dakota was handling the pandemic. Even after she ordered them to close they were allowed to stay open and the company offered bonuses for employees to show up. 

So some journalist in London has the inside scoop on what's happening in Sioux Falls SD?? The BBC can't even report accurately what Mehgan is wearing on her walk through the Canadian woods on a daily basis.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

I saw a car driving 75 down i29 near grand forks today. Middle aged woman.

Luckily for the driver she wasn’t in Minnesota on hwy 220 or she’d get a hefty speeding ticket.

Wow. I had no idea it was that bad in Minnesota that they started to give people tickets for driving the speed limit.

16 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So some journalist in London has the inside scoop on what's happening in Sioux Falls SD?? The BBC can't even report accurately what Mehgan is wearing on her walk through the Canadian woods on a daily basis.

geez next thing you know they will be saying that Pace picante sauce is made in New York!

1 minute ago, wasmania said:

geez next thing you know they will be saying that Pace picante sauce is made in New York!

Didn't Cuomo in consultation with Greta ban all foods in NY that causes flatulence as part of his Green New Deal thinking???

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Didn't Cuomo in consultation with Greta ban all foods in NY that causes flatulence as part of his Green New Deal thinking???

Get with the times, Oxbow6...banning straws and plastic grocery bags is sooooo 2019.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

A group of Stanford led researchers conducting early antibody testing in the SF/Bay area is finding the infectious rate could be as much as 85 times higher than reported.  Not sure if this "science" puts a chink in the armor of the "we are all safer at home until July 4, 2022" crowd and/or the actual fatality rate when it's all said and done.

18 minutes ago, wasmania said:

You're our resident NASA math guru. I'd like you to put down your breakfast burrito and comment on what if our current data is even off by 50 times the reported infectious rate. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

A group of Stanford led researchers conducting early antibody testing in the SF/Bay area is finding the infectious rate could be as much as 85 times higher than reported.  Not sure if this "science" puts a chink in the armor of the "we are all safer at home until July 4, 2022" crowd and/or the actual fatality rate when it's all said and done.

This is good news if these tests are eventually determined to be accurate and reliable. Similar tests and testing two months ago would have been priceless, and likely had major impact on reactions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I know this is useless but it would be nice if we could move away from the snarky political comments and just share information and facts. By now we know what side of the political spectrum many of us fall on and thus the related opinions on the situation and which politicians individuals like or dislike. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

You're our resident NASA math guru. I'd like you to put down your breakfast burrito and comment on what if our current data is even off by 50 times the reported infectious rate. 

you mean implications for policy?  or just want me to weigh on how to torture the scientists who are now learning more about the disease and reporting it honestly?

13 minutes ago, wasmania said:

you mean implications for policy?  or just want me to weigh on how to torture the scientists who are now learning more about the disease and reporting it honestly?

Both questions....specifically first one.

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Both questions....specifically first one.

many more infected than originally expected probably means that asymptomatic carriers are everywhere and will be killing machines of the infirm and elderly if not managed to avoid contact.  Fewer deaths is not that meaningful expressed as a percentage of cases.  Much better if it were fewer in absolute terms.

3 minutes ago, wasmania said:

many more infected than originally expected probably means that asymptomatic carriers are everywhere and will be killing machines of the infirm and elderly if not managed to avoid contact.  Fewer deaths is not that meaningful expressed as a percentage of cases.  Much better if it were fewer in absolute terms.

So how do we separate the healthy mystery killers from the vulnerable?  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, wasmania said:

"Killing  machines".....easy there Cooper Anderson.

So in your wise opinion lockdown everyone until when? Or comes to grips that life needs to start being lived and those who are at risk need to shelter? 

....and I'm talking ND.

What will be interesting to see once these antibody tests come out in full force (provided they are accurate of course), just how much of the population had this and didn't know it. 

Both me and my fiancé discussed this last night on one of our walks and given our working environments, we would both be curious to know... did we get this?

Now the million dollar question to all this... and this hasn't been proven yet... how long do these antibodies last for. 

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So in your wise opinion lockdown everyone until when? Or comes to grips that life needs to start being lived and those who are at risk need to shelter? 

....and I'm talking ND.

given the many variables in flux, like availability of robust tests, changes to protocols at events and transportation to accomodate the test process and fairly adjudicate decisions on who is safe and who is not, changes to configurations of meeting places etc.  your question is not answerable at this early time without a huge confidence interval around any forecast for when and how much.  And this board by and large does not tolerate such things as large confidence intervals.  they interpret this as systemic failure in epidemiology and partisan undermining of their preferred despot