SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

I don't think anyone is being forced to go out into public.  This is about when the government goes from policing activity to recommending activity.  

Recommendations:

Elderly, immune compromised, poorly managed pre-exisiting conditions...stay at home, be smart.  Think you might be sick or have been exposed...stay home, be smart.  Otherwise healthy, no reason to be concerned...limit potential exposures, be smart.  

Sidenote- we are DEFINITIVELY seeing a decline in COVID leading indicators in CA...knock on wood. We've seen leading indicators drop now for the third week. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, NDinCO said:

Could you please make your font bigger, and maybe add some vivid color, like cyan or magenta maybe. I mean, I can barley read this.

Sorry.....that's right off CNN.com

They do that so their ADHD low IQ readers can stay on point.

16 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

idiot [ id-ee-uht ]

noun

1. A person who expects empathy from healthy persons for the sick and elderly in the form of abstention from certain activities, while abjectly failing to extend the same empathy to healthy persons adversely affected, or disproportionately impacted, by such abstention.

2. A person who will blindly adhere to government edicts without regard for their constitutionality, duration, clarity, or merits, or who would seek to deprive others of the right and opportunity to question the same.

3. A person who makes political that which is inherently non-political.

4. A person, esp. one who lacks formal training in medicine, epidemiology, or statistics, who monitors daily data from public health authorities in the midst of a global pandemic and tries to extrapolate anything meaningful therefrom.

5. A person who refuses to wear a mask in public after I start wearing one, because I'm pretty sure the crap is going to have to hit the fan big time before that happens.

i think we just passed how many people die EVERY year from car accidents...how about this for my safety and for your safety let's put up cameras at every intersection in GF and if even the last inch of your rear bumper  is still in the intersection when that light goes red you get mailed a $1,000 ticket and since it's on camera you can't fight it.   Are you for that?  I would be considering i spend most of spring, summer, and fall riding around on two wheels (manually and gas powered) and i cringe at how many people put their health and time ahead their fellow citizens.

10 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

So if business return to operating, how do they avoid the liability of an employee or customer contracting the virus?  rock and a hard place?

Pretty big hill to climb to show that X was infected by Y at a specific place and time.  One would pretty much have to prove that they hadn't been infected elsewhere (and where ya' been and who ya' been with will almost certainly need to be disclosed).  Will be interesting to see if the various strains of the virus have genetic 'fingerprints' that can be traced.

Businesses need only take reasonable precautions.  Courts will look to CDC and others for guidance, but it will come down to insurance companies and, ultimately, juries to decide liability AND how to apportion responsibility (including of the person claiming to have been infected).

Sickened employees may be stuck with workers comp as their only recourse.

1 minute ago, 90siouxfan said:

a few weeks back and a person on facebook that sells life insurance posted that no insurance available if you had covid19...

Only time will bear out how COVID-19 status affects underwriting and actuarial data.  If most of the population is eventually (+), then the impact would seem minimal.  The insurance industry needs to sell insurance to sustain itself, and it can't disqualify everybody.

2 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

so in the near future 40-80% of our population will not be able to purchase a new life insurance policy?

No, but if you're on a ventilator now might not be the best time to shop for competitive rates. 

Time will tell.  If an antibody test shows a past infection, but the applicant is not sick and there's no data correlating to higher mortality, then there would likewise be minimal impact on insurability.  Insurance companies will need to get past the regulators and right now, there's just not enough data to draw any meaningful inferences. 

9 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/government-and-politics/5382580-Protesters-demand-Burgum-reopens-business-at-North-Dakota-Capitol

Protestors demand Burgum re-opens ND businesses

Would the 150 people seen gathering at the capitol, many standing shoulder to shoulder and shaking hands, be considered idiots as well?

Idiots come in many shapes and sizes.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Phase 3.5 for another $470B approved. Fed just keeps printing money as oil falls below zero. Good thing Rednek drives a Prius.

Now the real danger looms...inflation...only way out of this economic disaster will be massive inflation across sectors.  

4 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Now the real danger looms...inflation...only way out of this economic disaster will be massive inflation across sectors.  

Better yet need incentives to bring mfg back from China Fast.  Help with the massive unemployment just starting.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

Better yet need incentives to bring mfg back from China Fast.  Help with the massive unemployment just starting.

hands down we need to do this.  We could be looking at stagflation on an unprecedented level...high unemployment, high inflation, negative GDP...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, yzerman19 said:

hands down we need to do this.  We could be looking at stagflation on an unprecedented level...high unemployment, high inflation, negative GDP...

Exactly years to dig out.  Sooner we bring mfg for security the better.  It will help the energy sector as well.