SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

26 minutes ago, dynato said:

This thread is for conversations and arguments. Each are entertaining in their own right. Some of us have nothing better to do haha. I'm not trying to force people into thinking a certain way, but I am trying to be thought provoking. And others are being just as thought provoking, so I'm definitely not being ignored. 

Most of the people here are a part of this community in some way. It is easy to forget that there is a person behind every comment. Just like it is forget that all the deaths we are talking about are real people dying. 

you did good the first shame. now a hint of sanctimony

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

If we are all going to get it, what are we doing right now...waiting for a cure to be developed?  

"40 to 80%" of us.

We are "flattening the curve" so healthcare systems don't get overrun.

But oddly enough some experts are saying the peak is behind us and the media has suddenly stopped talking about ppe and ventilators.

Just now, UND1983 said:

If we are all going to get it, what are we doing right now...waiting for a cure to be developed?  

We are trying not to overwhelm the healthcare system all at once with cases, leading to even more unnecessary casualties. Preference will be given to the young, the old will be left to die. Thus, the goal is to social distance and slow the spread until hospital visits are at a manageable level or a vaccine/treatment is developed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

"40 to 80%" of us.

We are "flattening the curve" so healthcare systems don't get overrun.

But oddly enough some experts are saying the peak is behind us and the media has suddenly stopped talking about ppe and ventilators.

Just like how 40 to 80% of the american population gets the flu in a typical year. It's not a stretch. COVID is just much, much more deadly in its current state. 

The widespread need for PPE and ventilators was highlighted. The government and many corporations jumped in to ensure our medical professionals have the supplies they need. This is exactly how it should have gone and was pretty much how it was reported. I doubt we are at the peak, but I also don't know a good metric to go by to represent a peak. 

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Ok that's enough clogging up the board with dipshit responses.  I actually wanted to know what people thought we were doing now to get through this of it's that prevalent.

If 1 person infects 1.1 persons, the health care system reaches capacity in October
If 1 person infects 1.2 persons, meaning out of five people, one person infects two and the rest one, the capacity is reached in July.
If 1 person infects 1.3 persons, the capacity is reached in June.
The margin is very, very small, which is why the government is being very careful. Every bit of social distancing helps, every lack of social distancing hurts. 

What we are doing now in ND is basic social distancing and banning large gatherings. This is helping, but there is still a lot of backlash obviously. People dont like change.
The middle ground, due to civil unrest, will likely be facemasks required in public. However, if the public can't obey an order like that and cases/deaths skyrocket, we will be in a worse position than we started in. It would likely lead to a worse shutdown than we are currently facing. 

1 minute ago, dynato said:

If 1 person infects 1.1 persons, the health care system reaches capacity in October
If 1 person infects 1.2 persons, meaning out of five people, one person infects two and the rest one, the capacity is reached in July.
The margin is very, very small, which is why the government is being very careful. Every bit of social distancing helps, every lack of social distancing hurts. 

What we are doing now in ND is basic social distancing and banning large gatherings. This is helping, but there is still a lot of backlash obviously. People dont like change.
The middle ground, due to civil unrest, will likely be facemasks required in public. However, if the public can't obey an order like that and cases/deaths skyrocket, we will be in a worse position than we started in. It would likely lead to a worse shutdown than we are currently facing. 

Thank you for the information.  I believe all of it and have a feeling we do need to wait a bit longer to understand what we got locally.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/16/2020 at 10:49 PM, MafiaMan said:

Cuomo a week ago:  WHY WON’T TRUMP GET ME THE VENTILATORS I NEED?  THOUSANDS WILL DIE!

Cuomo today:  86 the ventilators. 

Cuomo explains why he asked for so much equipment.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dynato said:

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone where that first set of statistics came from. 

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

Saw a group of 10 kids, ages 12 to 14 or so, playing baseball today at the local diamond.

Luckily for them they weren't in East Grand Forks. Otherwise them boys could have gotten $1000 fines.

I saw a car driving 75 down i29 near grand forks today. Middle aged woman.

Luckily for the driver she wasn’t in Minnesota on hwy 220 or she’d get a hefty speeding ticket.

4 hours ago, dynato said:

Masks will be a huge part of this moving forward. Other countries had adopted mask wearing with past viruses and the purpose is to protect others from what you might have. If everyone wears a mask in public, the sharing of respiratory viruses from person to person goes down. I believe some places have enforced mask wearing in public by law and others it’s a common courtesy, and if you are seen in public with no mask you are shunned.

The problem is we live in the United States where the president has come out and said he will NOT wear one. I’ve heard the kookoos on Knox come out and say this is a free country and they will not be forced to wear a mask in public. Heck those guys have come out and said they will refuse the vaccine. Has anyone been to Hugo’s lately? General consensus of mask wearers is at maybe 20%?

I agree with those of you that want to open things up, I’d like that too. But we’ve got a long way to go in order to do that safely.

7 hours ago, dynato said:

It seems any info that is more than one sentence or not a Fox talking point is above many.

A group of Stanford led researchers conducting early antibody testing in the SF/Bay area is finding the infectious rate could be as much as 85 times higher than reported.  Not sure if this "science" puts a chink in the armor of the "we are all safer at home until July 4, 2022" crowd and/or the actual fatality rate when it's all said and done.

From latest IHME projections......"maybe possible???

Can guarantee a vast majority of this state's population isn't going to tolerate these current guidelines past 3 more weeks. 

Screenshot_20200418-073417.png

https://apple.news/A2pcWeeA0RBK6Aaq93FVdlg

More on the smithfield debacle. Noem knew about the outbreak for a month and instead of acting she went on Fox News bragging about how well South Dakota was handling the pandemic. Even after she ordered them to close they were allowed to stay open and the company offered bonuses for employees to show up. 

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

From latest IHME projections......"maybe possible???

Can guarantee a vast majority of this state's population isn't going to tolerate these current guidelines past 3 more weeks. 

Screenshot_20200418-073417.png

Hey careful. IHME is a good model just a bit of bad data.

For instance check out WY.  Project 21 deaths on May 1st.  A total of 243 by August 4th. To data ZERO deaths.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/wyoming

32 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

https://apple.news/A2pcWeeA0RBK6Aaq93FVdlg

More on the smithfield debacle. Noem knew about the outbreak for a month and instead of acting she went on Fox News bragging about how well South Dakota was handling the pandemic. Even after she ordered them to close they were allowed to stay open and the company offered bonuses for employees to show up. 

Don’t worry.  Once Biden executes Order 66 and does away with all of the Republican governors, he can reorganize the United States of America into the First Galactic Empire for a safe and secure society.