SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba extension

Dustin

1 minute ago, Irish said:

We need to write Chaves and tell him what our expectations for Sioux Football are and how disappointed we are.  He clearly doesn't get it.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^ The problem is the horse is out of the barn with Bubba already getting the extension.   I wonder if the GOBC can negotiate a $20 buyout.   And Chaves should have understood our expectations long before now

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Irish said:

We need to write Chaves and tell him what our expectations for Sioux Football are and how disappointed we are.  He clearly doesn't get it.

Might want to mention the home playoff game bidding process too.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Lukewarm take:  If hockey hangs no. 9 this year, or makes a really deep run, that buys everybody in the Department some time and space in which to deliver.

Ice cold. 

It buys the Athletic Department nothing.

1 hour ago, Hawkster said:

WOW.   I was wondering how we'd afford Bubba's buyout after this year and now Chaves does this.  There was no reason for this, it's not like Bubba was going to go anywhere.    And the fact that he won't ever go anywhere might have been proof that he was UND caliber coaching material either.   Get ready for 4 more years of piss poor football.   Sorry, but that's what it is.

Get ready for 4 more yeas of piss poor-------

I would like to know of some of the "language" of this contract in regards to buy-out and transitioning to an administrative role at UND.

I would also like to know is this:  Will this time be used to groom a certain staff member to take over when Bubba makes the call?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

This is a big reason why UND didn't get their first playoff win.  Bad road team, great home team....let's put in a marginal bid

For the record, UND had the third highest bid of the 16 teams that played in round one. Unfortunately got matched up with #1 or 2.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Lukewarm take:  If hockey hangs no. 9 this year, or makes a really deep run, that buys everybody in the Department some time and space in which to deliver.

What do you mean by "buys"?  Are you talking about $ or that the Department will be satisfied enough with a hockey championship? 

25 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I would like to know of some of the "language" of this contract in regards to buy-out and transitioning to an administrative role at UND.

I would also like to know is this:  Will this time be used to groom a certain staff member to take over when Bubba makes the call?

I see this as a great opportunity for us to groom Danny. When Bubbas contract is up he retires and that will look better on the university than firing Bubba. 

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

For the record, UND had the third highest bid of the 16 teams that played in round one. Unfortunately got matched up with #1 or 2.

The thing is, if we have to buy a home game in order to win we aren't going far in the playoffs no matter what.   Good teams find a way to win no matter where they are.   The main advantage to a home game is it engages the fans and keeps them coming.   I know, someone will pop up say the Bison win because they stay home for the playoffs, but they seem pretty perfect on the road too, so there.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Chaves seems to be happy with the state of the football program.  As a fan I am not.  Hard to get excited about the near term future of UND football.   Hopefully there is an easy option for a buyout after the next season. 

I know many don't agree but I think Chaves knows what he is doing and I know he is not satisfied with UND having a so-so FB program.  I would guess the extension included a clause for making a change as soon as after next year if results aren't improved.  A job and paycheck waiting for Bubba in the Foundation may easily be part of the agreement.  

For talented kids who are interested in UND, I am sure the competition points out that Bubba might be on a short leash.  A 4-year deal puts that to rest.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

The thing is, if we have to buy a home game in order to win we aren't going far in the playoffs no matter what.   Good teams find a way to win no matter where they are.   The main advantage to a home game is it engages the fans and keeps them coming.   I know, someone will pop up say the Bison win because they stay home for the playoffs, but they seem pretty perfect on the road too, so there.

NDSU also earns playoff home field advantage in the regular season by winning difficult road games, such as SDSU in Brookings .......

whereas UND goes on the road and gets blown out by Idaho State.

8 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

Yah but then all the knobs on here could say he only has "one playoff win in 6 years" instead of zero.  :silly:

22 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Bubba is a nice guy, but has by no means earned this extension. I would have liked to have seen what he could have done next year.

will there be a step forwards or a step backwards?

100% hope is has nothing but success!

Any wonder why we have a crap program while the Bison have unprecedented success?  I had a cocktail with a Bison friend who told me this - "I have good news and bad news - Cox entered the transfer portal, however UND gave Bubba a 4 year extension".  So tired of this.  Thanks a lot Chaves.

4 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I believe he had two years left, 2020 and 2021 by reading it, and they extended it two more years.  Seems like they could have waited one more year before granting an extension.  Only positive I can see from granting it now is for recruiting it takes lessens doubt of head coaching change. 

Usually you give extensions to coaches that have been performing well and you want to make it harder for them to leave with a large buyout for leaving before the end of the contract. At this stage in Bubba's career, I don't think any AD will be knocking on Chaves door to talk to Bubba about a job anytime soon. And I really don't think people are going into recruits homes telling kids Bubba won't be around in a year or two. 

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

What do you mean by "buys"?  Are you talking about $ or that the Department will be satisfied enough with a hockey championship? 

For the public at large, and for non-FB die-hards, hockey success creates an aura of contentment and satisfaction and the tolerance for mediocrity in other sports will persist.

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Without knowing any of the details, pretty hard to criticize the extension. The only thing it does for sure is gives an appearance of stability to any recruits. Beyond that, it's unknown until any specifics are released. 

That's what I want to know about before truly weighing in on this.  What is in the fine print in this contract?