SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba extension

Dustin

3 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Remember when we had a future FBS head coach apply for the job and they lost out to Bubba?

No, UND isn't getting a current FBS coach to head to GF, but to say UND should be happy with Bubba because it's not a destination school is crap. Get a coach on the rise instead of collecting a series of seasons just good enough to make the playoffs and then lose. 

So you let someone go who is doing an adequate job because there is someone out there who might do better? Man I don't know what you do, but if you get canned tomorrow and you boss says "We like what you do, but we just feel there is something better out there". I hope you take it with humility, because that's what your asking Chaves to do. To bring it all in remember, the coordinators and assistants do 99% of the work and that's at any program. The HC is simply a personality and for North Dakota Bubba fits that.

4 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I hope all of you are perfect at your job and work miracles daily. This was a once great program. 20 years ago. Bubba and he staff have shown that the are making positive steps to improve the program with what they are working with. Honestly, FCS wise its probably one of the hardest schools to get decent playmakers to when they could just go 60 miles south and win national championships. Also, the program currently doesn't have locker rooms. What I am getting at is, I love he passion on here for UND football, but let's be real this is not a destination spot for coaches. Right now, Bubba is the best we can do and keeping him means keeping his staff, which if you go to any games, practices, or coaching clinics you know Bubba has done a solid job assembling his coaching staff, which is one of the most important jobs of a Head Coach. I get it everyone on here is sick of average. Well they've been to the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years and without a slew of injuries it would have been 3 of 3. I know I'll get some smart remarks about this post, but we need to be realists. UND football is making improvements. Not as drastic as most would like, but they are noticeable.  

There is no reason UND could not build a quality, successful football program. Don't make NDSU's current success the bench mark though. SDSU/UNI/Montana are definitely achievable. The schools aren't that much different.

While everyone loves the UND hockey team, that probably makes it harder to raise and allocate the resources. Are there any other FCS/G5 school that consistently does well in football that also has a D1 hockey program? I looked it up and 21 of the 60 D1 hockey programs are G5/FCS in football (10 other D1 programs don't play football at all). Of those 21, 6 are Ivy League schools who approach football differently. I would say Army and Air Force are also a different situation. That leaves only 13 schools. On the G5 side, UConn and UMass have struggled in football and also focus heavily on basketball. The MAC schools (BGSU, Miami, and WMU) are up and down in football like all the MAC schools. In FCS, Colgate, Maine, Robert Morris, and New Hampshire often make the tournament, but they are not football powers. Holy Cross made the playoffs for the first time in 10 years last year and Sacred Heart has only made the FCS playoffs twice (2013-2014). UND has a similar program to many of those schools. Why is it so difficult to have a hockey team and a G5/FCS football team and not be successful?

It was probably easier to do at the D2 level. I also think the detour to the Big Sky made the transition to D1 more difficult. The Big Sky is a good conference, but UND as so far out of the footprint I'm sure it had to affect recruiting. UND wasn't miserable in the Big Sky, but I think they would be much more successful overall if they had done the Summit/MVFC route from the beginning.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

So you let someone go who is doing an adequate job because there is someone out there who might do better? Man I don't know what you do, but if you get canned tomorrow and you boss says "We like what you do, but we just feel there is something better out there". I hope you take it with humility, because that's what your asking Chaves to do. To bring it all in remember, the coordinators and assistants do 99% of the work and that's at any program. The HC is simply a personality and for North Dakota Bubba fits that.

I work in a career field that is incredibly competitive. I have 90-day Objectives and Key Results that I, and all of my colleagues, need to hit every quarter over and over. Yes, there is room for a bad quarter here and there. But there also are never two quarters in a row where my OKRs are at the same level. 

In my job, I must continuously improve and provide value to our company and consumers. If I'm not hitting those targets, I'm out of a job.

Why is it too much to expect the same of a head coach? Chaves likely has set season OKRs for him. An injury riddled season is understandable, it's out of his hands. But he needs to be improving and reaching bigger targets. Just making the playoffs every year isn't progressing. Losing to ISU every year isn't showing improvement year over year.

Why do we hold our head football coach to a lower standard than someone working in the business world? Just because he is a nice guy and came from UND?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MIBT said:

There is no reason UND could not build a quality, successful football program. Don't make NDSU's current success the bench mark though. SDSU/UNI/Montana are definitely achievable. The schools aren't that much different.

While everyone loves the UND hockey team, that probably makes it harder to raise and allocate the resources. Are there any other FCS/G5 school that consistently does well in football that also has a D1 hockey program? I looked it up and 21 of the 60 D1 hockey programs are G5/FCS in football (10 other D1 programs don't play football at all). Of those 21, 6 are Ivy League schools who approach football differently. I would say Army and Air Force are also a different situation. That leaves only 13 schools. On the G5 side, UConn and UMass have struggled in football and also focus heavily on basketball. The MAC schools (BGSU, Miami, and WMU) are up and down in football like all the MAC schools. In FCS, Colgate, Maine, Robert Morris, and New Hampshire often make the tournament, but they are not football powers. Holy Cross made the playoffs for the first time in 10 years last year and Sacred Heart has only made the FCS playoffs twice (2013-2014). UND has a similar program to many of those schools. Why is it so difficult to have a hockey team and a G5/FCS football team and not be successful?

It was probably easier to do at the D2 level. I also think the detour to the Big Sky made the transition to D1 more difficult. The Big Sky is a good conference, but UND as so far out of the footprint I'm sure it had to affect recruiting. UND wasn't miserable in the Big Sky, but I think they would be much more successful overall if they had done the Summit/MVFC route from the beginning.

Interesting if a bit misleading.  I see no cause-effect or correlation since there are vast differences in how each college athletic programs evolved.  I just don't buy the theory that Hockey somehow robs Football of resources.  What's more true is that successful programs of any sport generate resources.  What I do think happens is that with a Hockey program that is regularly in the hunt for a National Championship there is much less demand and pressure for Football to be highly successful.   We are much more content to be slightly above average when we are winning elsewhere.  I don't see the slow development of Phase II as a failure of fan support as much as a failure of UND administrators who have alienated many deep pocket doners.  I think if we didn't have idiots in the President's office and ineffective AD's (not necessary the current one) we would see Phase II as complete or near complete.    Bubba's record would not be tolerated at most top programs but he gets a lot of love here.  That's the difference.

56 minutes ago, Irish said:

Interesting if a bit misleading.  I see no cause-effect or correlation since there are vast differences in how each college athletic programs evolved.  I just don't buy the theory that Hockey somehow robs Football of resources.  What's more true is that successful programs of any sport generate resources.  What I do think happens is that with a Hockey program that is regularly in the hunt for a National Championship there is much less demand and pressure for Football to be highly successful.   We are much more content to be slightly above average when we are winning elsewhere.  I don't see the slow development of Phase II as a failure of fan support as much as a failure of UND administrators who have alienated many deep pocket doners.  I think if we didn't have idiots in the President's office and ineffective AD's (not necessary the current one) we would see Phase II as complete or near complete.    Bubba's record would not be tolerated at most top programs but he gets a lot of love here.  That's the difference.

It's comforting to know that you not only "get" things that coaches don''t and understand things things that they can't, but you can also sit behind your computer and are able to explain the failures of administrators so plainly.   I'm pleading with you to come down from the mountaintop and give all of UND a break.   Take on FB coaching while straightening out these administrators who sadly don't have any idea compared to you.  Why are you holding back from UND when you obviously know so, so much more than any of those folks?  It's selfish on your part when you know so much more than anyone.   I'm sure you could have those "doners" eating out of your hands in short order.   whatever a doner is.   You, and you alone could save UND and UND athletics.   That's the real difference.

1 hour ago, Irish said:

How many other colleges at the FCS level would house their team in a 90 year old locker room that hasn't changed much in that time?  Just saying....

8 minutes ago, green_sioux said:

It's comforting to know that you not only "get" things that coaches don''t and understand things things that they can't, but you can also sit behind your computer and are able to explain the failures of administrators so plainly.   I'm pleading with you to come down from the mountaintop and give all of UND a break.   Take on FB coaching while straightening out these administrators who sadly don't have any idea compared to you.  Why are you holding back from UND when you obviously know so, so much more than any of those folks?  It's selfish on your part when you know so much more than anyone.   I'm sure you could have those "doners" eating out of your hands in short order.   whatever a doner is.   You, and you alone could save UND and UND athletics.   That's the real difference.

Our failure with some potential big donors has been noted and discussed here - and not by me - I'm not sure why it is my fault for mentioning it.  Englesteads and Sanford for starters.  As for the rest - if I am not excited about a 37-32 record with no playoff wins I can express that here.  If you don't like it too bad.  Don't read it.  I don't appreciate the personal attacks from you.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

How many other colleges at the FCS level would house their team in a 90 year old locker room that hasn't changed much in that time?  Just saying....

How many have an indoor practice facility like ours?

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Bubba plays up to competition and also plays down

Definitely some truth to that, most of our games the last few years have been close and 4th quarter type of games, whether the team was ranked or on the bottom of the Big Sky. The team really needs to figure out how to play at a high level consistently.  Sadly our last ISU game wasn’t even a 4th quarter game, was over by about halftime

16 minutes ago, tnt said:

How many have an indoor practice facility like ours?

Everyone ignoring the locker room and coaching offices situation has no clue what they are talking about or hasn't spoke to a coach before...during recruiting they need to hide an area that they are in ALOT.  Not good

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Irish said:

The REA literally gets 52% of football ticket revenue (resources) in addition to getting paid to administer the ticket sales.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

The REA literally gets 52% of football ticket revenue (resources) in addition to getting paid to administer the ticket sales.

Had to find some way to pay for the awesome new scoreboard at the Ralph and bigger trophy case to house the Penrose Cup. :wink:

47 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Everyone ignoring the locker room and coaching offices situation has no clue what they are talking about or hasn't spoke to a coach before...during recruiting they need to hide an area that they are in ALOT.  Not good

Not disagreeing but didn't this team have tents for locker rooms in their last game which was an away playoff game?

13 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I agree and can promise you anyone downplaying the locker rooms haven't been in that area. Literally on the edge of being condemned due to structural integrity. It's why they are moving into temporary digs in the 70 year old Hyslop, it's a big upgrade from the 90+ year old Memorial Stadium. 

12 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Not disagreeing but didn't this team have tents for locker rooms in their last game which was an away playoff game?

Do you think the kids that are being recruited to Nichols State care where the visiting team dresses? Not sure what the comparison is? Everyone here (rightfully) criticized that setup but then some are fine glossing over some of UND's facilities as a non-factor.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I can promise you they haven't been in that area if the are ignoring it. Literally on the edge of being condemned due to structural integrity. 

The locker room?  Yes they need to purposely avoid their own locker room...sad

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

The optics on this are awful and I am sure not many understand how the Ralph's finance fit into our athletic budget (not saying I do).  However, it is not like each sport has a pile of money based on its own generated revenue and hockey is taking a chunk from that which is rightfully football's.  All money and budgets come from the Athletic Department and revenue is pooled and then budgeted out.  Most sports besides the big ones lose money and are subsidized by others.  Our year to year football budgets don't look too bad in comparison to other schools (don't have time to look this up again).  We fall short in facilities for many reasons - lack of planning,  getting a late start in Division I, getting a late start on Phase I,  lack of a large donor, declining football attendance - in other words many factors. Can we support both sports well - absolutely - especially if football starts winning.     

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

The SS.com betting line to make the playoffs out of the MVC is at 2.5 years. What everyone got....under or over?

UND might get close to covering that line if the committee takes 5 MVFC teams like they probably should. If they only take 2 like most UND fans think the MVFC deserve, the over/under may be 10 years. 

1 hour ago, Irish said:

The optics on this are awful and I am sure not many understand how the Ralph's finance fit into our athletic budget (not saying I do).  However, it is not like each sport has a pile of money based on its own generated revenue and hockey the Ralph is taking a chunk from that which is rightfully football's the Athletic Department's.  All money and budgets come from the Athletic Department and revenue is pooled and then budgeted out.  Most sports besides the big ones lose money and are subsidized by others.  Our year to year football budgets don't look too bad in comparison to other schools (don't have time to look this up again).  We fall short in facilities for many reasons - lack of planning,  getting a late start in Division I, getting a late start on Phase I,  lack of a large donor, declining football attendance - in other words many factors. Can we support both sports well - absolutely - especially if football starts winning.     

Fixed.  Just think about this.  The Ralph gets 52% of tickets sales, 100% of concession/alcohol sales, 100% of novelty sales, a percentage of sponsorship sales, and 100% of suite sales.  And UND still has to pay for many expenses over there.  AND the Ralph is already paid for, so they don't have a $100 m loan to pay off.  Basically they are just hoarding millions in profit, even though their mission is to supposedly operate for for the good of UND Athletics (not itself).  Sure, they let 500k to 1m flow through to UND, but they are hardly operating in UND's best interest, IMO.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Fixed.  Just think about this.  The Ralph gets 52% of tickets sales, 100% of concession/alcohol sales, 100% of novelty sales, a percentage of sponsorship sales, and 100% of suite sales.  And UND still has to pay for many expenses over there.  AND the Ralph is already paid for, so they don't have a $100 m loan to pay off.  Basically they are just hoarding millions in profit, even though their mission is to supposedly operate for for the good of UND Athletics (not itself).  Sure, they let 500k to 1m flow through to UND, but they are hardly operating in UND's best interest, IMO.  

Not saying you're wrong - I just really wish someone would come out and explain the entire workings of the Ralph and how they intersect with the UND Athletic Department.