SiouxSports.com Forum

WMU @ UND -- Saturday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

4 hours ago, petey23 said:

I'll say they got the call 95% wrong on Friday and 52% correct on Saturday.

24 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

What makes you the expert? Have you ever reffed hockey? If so, at what level? I asked someone who was at the game who refs ND high school hockey and is a college lineman and he said the goal from last night would be waived off 3/4ths of the time.

images.jpeg

I am not sure what some of the last comments on this thread are getting at. Are you insinuating that UND got away with one last night, perhaps. How many times has UND not been on the good end of a call. More times than not probably. It’s not UNDs fault the way the refs called the play. Us, UND fans, have been complaining about poor officiating for a while. I guess sometimes the calls just even out. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Ask them if they think taking out another player without the puck is interference?

If you knock him down for sure.  If you are jockeying with your Check in the low slot in OT?  Better be blatant and prevent him from scoring.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

You didn’t answer my question. Have you ever reffed hockey and if so, at what level? 

I just play an expert on SiouxSports. 

Played hockey. Never reffed. 

I know some crappy high school basketball refs who never played basketball. Small town part time job guys who's daughter plays. Means nothing to me. "Experts".

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

It's obvious you're not the best at comprehending what you see or read.

You know a slash can land on a stick right?

Yes, but since the contact hadn’t been made, perhaps you can revise it and say he knew Kawaguchi was going to slash him, so he was bracing himself with his knee coming down.  

2 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

If he came back at you and said that he had reffed and was a very high level ref, would that mean you're wrong?

He didn’t and hasn’t. I don’t like some keyboard warrior telling everyone they are biased because they don’t agree with his judgment, especially when he doesn’t have the experience or expertise to support his judgment or to criticize others on this board—let alone the referees. The refs made the correct call and that is not biased or looking at it through green colored glasses. It is the call that would be made the overwhelming   majority of the time.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

The refs made the correct call and that is not biased or looking at it through green colored glasses. 

Then you have to believe the refs made the correct call on Friday.

Anyone who questions that referee is "biased" nor have the "expertise" to say otherwise.

Says you? Your logic is completely lacking but I’m not going to argue with someone who argues just for the sake of argument and doesn’t have the expertise to even support his arguments. Why don’t you ask some hockey officials if the calls were correct. Then you might have some credibility. 

50 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I am not sure what some of the last comments on this thread are getting at. Are you insinuating that UND got away with one last night, perhaps. How many times has UND not been on the good end of a call. More times than not probably. It’s not UNDs fault the way the refs called the play. Us, UND fans, have been complaining about poor officiating for a while. I guess sometimes the calls just even out. 

Same. I just don’t care about this. Maybe this is just karma coming back our way for the game against BU in the Fargo regional in 2017. 

55 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Why don’t you ask some hockey officials if the calls were correct. 

I think that's the point. We all did ask a college ref on Friday. And after reviewing it he said "no goal."

Or maybe just because you're a ref doesnt really mean you get calls right?

This is SiouxSports where us amateurs share our opinion and debate back and forth.

If you dont think my opinion is as valuable as your hockey ref buddies that's fine. That's for you to decide.

Maybe you want me to write "*my amateur opinion only*" after everything I write? Maybe that would make you feel better?

Or better yet maybe we can get some blue checkmarks like twitter. We can all send in our hockey resumes. And Jim can let us all know who the experts are and who to listen to.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Same. I just don’t care about this. Maybe this is just karma coming back our way for the game against BU in the Fargo regional in 2017. 

You don’t even have to go outside of this season. UND had a goal disallowed earlier this year during one of the road series in which the player was cross checked into the goalie and had no chance to avoid contact and yet they disallowed the subsequent goal. So about time one of these went in UND’s favor. 

• Upvote 2

How about everyone go and read NCAA ice hockey Rule 73:

Goals should be disallowed only if an attacking player, either by positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to defend the goal. 

I'd both cases were fit to be disallowed. The ability to defend was impaired by contact. 

11 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

It could be that in the back of an officials mind that they would rather not determine the game on a call that is close to 50/50.   Maybe earlier in games those calls may go the other way. If they truly looked at it as that type situation, letting the teams fight it out more may be preferable to rock, paper, scissors.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Cratter said:

But at least the refs called it consistently bad.

As pointed out. The PC way of saying it is "The refs are going to err on the side of caution when allowing a goal when goalie interference seems likely."

They whispered in my ear a little bit there's a pretty good chance it's not going to be called (a goal) based on last night with what happened with a disallowed goal and stuff," Berry said

20 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

Draw a line on the movement of the WMU player  at 30 seconds in that video from the circle to contact with the goalie.  He’s moving in a straight line which would be outside the crease. He’s checked by Gooch and his momentum changed by almost 90 degrees.

I’m not complaining, but it’s concerning that the season could end on one of these BS calls which seem to happen frequently.  Thankfully the Friday call didn’t end up mattering.  The Saturday call may keep western out of the playoffs.

Yeah, this one hurts.  The Friday call was weak but those are different scenarios.  Saturday the WMU player was pushed into the goalie.  I get that the refs don't want the game to end on a bad call so that's likely why they let the teams continue to play on, but if WMU doesn't end the year on a run, it'll be a tough one to look back on in this in the offseason. 

It was a tough week for officiating as a WMU fan.  This happened as well

https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/louisville-levi-usher-second-ball-western-michigan-logan-hudson.html