SiouxSports.com Forum

WMU @ UND -- Saturday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

2 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I asked our Air Force cadet whom we sponsor, who plays for the AF club team and has no dog in the fight whatsoever, his opinion on it and here’s what he said...

”The western guy goes down to one knee before getting to the net, so I’d say he made no attempt to avoid the goalie.” 

Saturday’s call was truly a judgement call on whether the Western player could have avoided contact with the goalie despite Kawaguchi’s contact with him.  I could have seen it going either way.   Friday’s call seemed it should have been more clear cut since it was the goalie diving out creating the contact.  

4 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I asked our Air Force cadet whom we sponsor, who plays for the AF club team and has no dog in the fight whatsoever, his opinion on it and here’s what he said...

”The western guy goes down to one knee before getting to the net, so I’d say he made no attempt to avoid the goalie.” 

The player was looking for contact, he knew he was gonna slide into the goalie as soon as he got it.

Do we even get to that point if the officials didn’t even up the penalties with the high stick to Kiersted late in the game?  Kiersted’s stick wouldn’t have been high if the Western player hadn’t interfered with his path to the puck.

• Upvote 1

Put me down for agreeing with the no goal call last night. The player was already down on one knee prior to the contact with Guchi and made no attempt to avoid contact with the goalie. Over the years I have seen many calls similar to this where a goal was taken away from UND. This was no different and I believe the refs made the correct call.

This was the first series that I have seen live at the Ralph in 8 years.  I picked a good weekend!

Western played extremely well both nights, and would probably have gotten a couple of "W"'s against almost anyone else.  Very tight defensive games with great goaltending.  Congrats on bringing the "Penne" home, boys.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Cratter said:

That's the thing. You cant "predict" what a player might or have might not have done had he not been pushed. That is not part of the rules where anything is stated.

He could have easily avoided contact had he not been pushed.

But but he was pushed so he couldn't have avoided contact.

Sure you can. That's part of the discretion of the refs in that call. To me, it was clear contact was going to happen, regardless.

1 minute ago, Walsh Hall said:

The WMU player was dropping to a knee to get low anticipating a pass to one-time at the net.  He was moving in a straight line prior to getting hit. The green tinted glasses are in full effect on this one.

The puck was behind him.... he was not getting ready for a one timer lol

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Walsh Hall said:

The green tinted glasses are in full effect on this one.

Such an easy thing to say, but it's just not the case. I see the correct call... Goalie interference. That's fine that you don't see it that way. Glad it worked out in our favor lol.

2 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

The WMU player was dropping to a knee to get low anticipating a pass to one-time at the net.  He was moving in a straight line prior to getting hit. The green tinted glasses are in full effect on this one.

Exactly. He might have been lowering his body and planting in front of the net in anticipation for a one timer or rebound.

1) Kawa stick in the air about to come down.

2) The slash complete. Western player still on his feet.

3) Kawa still has him pinned down. Knee finally about to touch.

4) Western player losing his balance from Kawa pushing and holding him down.

5) Kawa on the western players back right before he slides into the goalie.

20200301_131020.jpg

20200301_131037.jpg

20200301_131057.jpg

20200301_131109.jpg

20200301_131131.jpg

Green colored glasses dont see the slash? Clearly interference by Kawaguchi.

• Upvote 1