SiouxSports.com Forum

WMU @ UND -- Saturday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

Both no goals were the wrong call, but I can’t believe they took away WMU’s goal last night.  

I was upset the UND goal was disallowed.  I would have been absolutely furious if the WMU no-goal had happened to UND.  I was surprised that Andy M. kept it together as well as he did.

4 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Both no goals were the wrong call, but I can’t believe they took away WMU’s goal last night.  

I was upset the UND goal was disallowed.  I would have been absolutely furious if the WMU no-goal had happened to UND.  I was surprised that Andy M. kept it together as well as he did.

Not disagreeing with your first statement....but the no goal last night was the better call of the 2.

Adams did nothing but have half a blade in the blue when the goalie lunged at him. The goalie made a play on the puck.

Last night the WMU player had zero chance of not coming into contact with Scheel regardless if there was contact by Guch. No way at his pace would he have avoided contact on his own. 

Scheel's inability to play the puck was completely limited. Much more so than the play Friday night. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

Recap and look ahead, simple with some things to think about for this team in terms of deployment and faceoffs among other things. https://seamoresports.com/2020/03/01/penrosehow-und-earned-2-1-win-over-western-michigan-and-whats-next/

Gooch made contact, but did not directly force the WMU into Scheel.  The onus is on the attacking player to avoid the tendy, and rightly so.  Otherwise you’d see a ton of guys suddenly weak on their skates in that situation.  

14 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

In the overhead angle you can see that the WMU player was not even going to enter the crease.  He would have been a good 2 ft outside the crease.   Scheel was obviously 100% interfered with and had no chance, but the WMU was pushing into him.

:huh:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cratter said:

Lots of ya musta missed it based on the silence around here....

There was a great Jersey Pop tonight by the freshman phenom! :D

Lol I just noticed that watching the replay this morning. Oh Pinto...

19 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

:huh:

Draw a line on the movement of the WMU player  at 30 seconds in that video from the circle to contact with the goalie.  He’s moving in a straight line which would be outside the crease. He’s checked by Gooch and his momentum changed by almost 90 degrees.

I’m not complaining, but it’s concerning that the season could end on one of these BS calls which seem to happen frequently.  Thankfully the Friday call didn’t end up mattering.  The Saturday call may keep western out of the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, ThompHockey said:

Thats not what i see. I see a player who skated to the front of the net barely gets pushed and changes his momentum to run into the goalie. He was looking for contact to do exactly what he did.... easy call

As fans, we usually don't see very reliably.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Both nights "no goals" were crap calls. 

That should be universally understood. 

Cant help you otherwise.

But at least the refs called it consistently

Saturday nights was the right call. Ya can't skate into a goalie.... even if your pushed a little, you put yourself in that position to run into the goalie.     Easy call

13 minutes ago, ThompHockey said:

Saturday nights was the right call. Ya can't skate into a goalie.... even if your pushed a little, you put yourself in that position to run into the goalie.     Easy call

The majority of the people dont see it that way.

Take off the green glasses bro.

That goal would have stood had Friday's goal stood.

The refs knew it was a good goal but they said "well let's keep screwing up and even up our no goals call."

Heck even the UND coaches basically said that's what happened.

2 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

Honestly, I think Friday night's was horrendous and I still have no idea how that's not a goal. Last night's was a bit closer, but still should not have been a goal. Player was already going to be going directly into Scheel without Guchi touching him. There's no way he was avoiding contact.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Honestly, I think Friday night's was horrendous and I still have no idea how that's not a goal. Last night's was a bit closer, but still should not have been a goal. Player was already going to be going directly into Scheel without Guchi touching him. There's no way he was avoiding contact.

Exactly 

1 hour ago, Walsh Hall said:

In the overhead angle you can see that the WMU player was not even going to enter the crease.  He would have been a good 2 ft outside the crease.   Scheel was obviously 100% interfered with and had no chance, but the WMU was pushing into him.

Two feet wide? I'm sorry, man but I don't get where you're seeing that. Regardless, had he gone two feet wide, there's no interference and Scheel is in position to make the save. 

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Player was already going to be going directly into Scheel without Guchi touching him. There's no way he was avoiding contact.

That's the thing. You cant "predict" what a player might or have might not have done had he not been pushed. That is not part of the rules where anything is stated.

He could have easily avoided contact had he not been pushed.

But but he was pushed so he couldn't have avoided contact.

I asked our Air Force cadet whom we sponsor, who plays for the AF club team and has no dog in the fight whatsoever, his opinion on it and here’s what he said...

”The western guy goes down to one knee before getting to the net, so I’d say he made no attempt to avoid the goalie.” 

2 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I asked our Air Force cadet whom we sponsor, who plays for the AF club team and has no dog in the fight whatsoever, his opinion on it and here’s what he said...

”The western guy goes down to one knee before getting to the net, so I’d say he made no attempt to avoid the goalie.” 

That’s an accurate view.  As I said, the attacking player has to make an effort to avoid the contact.  It’s not “oh I was bumped and now I can fly into the goalie”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2