SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

8 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Good motivation for the team.

Very true.  But SDSU is a very good team so I think the 11 point spread makes sense as I would still consider the Hawks unknown at this point to a lot of people (although last weekend definitely opened some eyes).

While I'm encouraged by last weekends results UND does have a tendency to crap the bed after nice wins like that.  If our lines can play like they did last week, and we can get more out of the passing game I think UND has a good shot.  I think that SDSU will be a lot tougher in the trenches, and I'm still a little worried about our run defense although they did very well last weekend.  

I'm very much looking forward to what should be a good battle of two good teams.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Bison06 said:

The jury is still out on Entz in my book, but the recruiting certainly doesn’t appear to have dropped off in his first two/three classes. We’ll see if the player development is able to keep pace in the next couple of years.

Jalen Bussey, Kobe Johnson, Dominic Ganella are all contributing already and we’ll have to see on others. Not a ton to go on just yet, this spring season and the fall will be the first real look we have at Entz’ guys.

I am obviously a Hawk fan, but I respected Klieman and Bohl. I do not have much respect for Entz yet. I know he they went 16-0 last year, with recruits that Klieman's staff did a great job bringing in. In my mind, he couldn't have an easier job as far as recruiting goes. "Hey come to Fargo. We win every game we play and have this many dudes in the NFL." And good for them for getting to that point, but at this point in the game any kids that NDSU and UND both offer, that choose UND is a huge win for the UND coaching staff, due to the NDSU's amazing success. However, with that success comes lofty expectations and bandwagon fans who don't know a first down from a touchdown and those fans will call for his head if it is anything but dominance. 

11 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Way too early to judge recruiting.  What did you think of Bison offense last game.  Defense was stellar.

I thought the Bison offense struggled to move the ball and the Quarterback play was average at best. Their offensive line is not what it has been the past decade. Also found it eye-opening as to how Roehl struggled to get the ball in the hands of their most dynamic weapon (Watson)

Their defense is tough as ever and all team's will struggle to score on them. Their defense line is incredibly deep and Jackson Hankey does a phenomenal job getting the defense on the same page. The Waege kid might be NFL good.

14 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Very true.  But SDSU is a very good team so I think the 11 point spread makes sense as I would still consider the Hawks unknown at this point to a lot of people (although last weekend definitely opened some eyes).

While I'm encouraged by last weekends results UND does have a tendency to crap the bed after nice wins like that.  If our lines can play like they did last week, and we can get more out of the passing game I think UND has a good shot.  I think that SDSU will be a lot tougher in the trenches, and I'm still a little worried about our run defense although they did very well last weekend.  

I'm very much looking forward to what should be a good battle of two good teams.

I'm not shocked that we beat SIU, but I was surprised at how big we beat them. You're right that we have a tendency to lay an egg after a big win so I am hoping this brings them down to reality a bit. We have a huge opportunity to get over the hump this Saturday and if this team shows up we have a chance. 

19 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I thought the Bison offense struggled to move the ball and the Quarterback play was average at best. Their offensive line is not what it has been the past decade. Also found it eye-opening as to how Roehl struggled to get the ball in the hands of their most dynamic weapon (Watson)

Their defense is tough as ever and all team's will struggle to score on them. Their defense line is incredibly deep and Jackson Hankey does a phenomenal job getting the defense on the same page. The Waege kid might be NFL good.

I think the MVFC is going to be more balanced this spring and probably fall as well.  Bison lost a lot of talent in the past 12 months and the offense shows it.  So glad we are playing our old Rivals the next 3 weeks.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Coming in ranked to the Alerus is not something any team wants to do, maybe not so much that they are likely to lose, but that their whole season is about to fall apart and rendering UND’s win as not “quality”

That's what I find intriguing, too. Are we the only team where, no matter what, if you lose to us you were never that good anyway?  The sentiment is universal from within our own fanbase and without, it seems. 

My worry is, excuses or not, SIU was truly hampered by inclement weather and lack of practice time. Their coach indicates that was the case, while at the same time, saying he's not about excuses.  I don't know about SDSU's practice situation --indoor, outdoor or what -- but this week feels different to me regardless. They have a young QB, too, and a solid D as well. There RB looks tough but I think our DBs and LBs can cover their big TEs and WRs. It comes down to the push on both sides of the line, as usual. Brockstar, where are you?? 

5 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

My worry is, excuses or not, SIU was truly hampered by inclement weather and lack of practice time. Their coach indicates that was the case, while at the same time, saying he's not about excuses.  I don't know about SDSU's practice situation --indoor, outdoor or what -- but this week feels different to me regardless. They have a young QB, too, and a solid D as well. There RB looks tough but I think our DBs and LBs can cover their big TEs and WRs. It comes down to the push on both sides of the line, as usual. Brockstar, where are you?? 

I was not very impressed with their Coach. Impressive that he is a D1 HC at a young age, but he seemed frazzled and in that his team lost any discipline they had on the field. He is making excuses, now his players will start making excuses, and before you know it the culture will be poor. As good as winning a game like that to start the year, a loss like that feels even worse. We are incredibly fortunate to have the HPC, but at the end of the day it is just as much about the attitude portrayed by the leadership of programs during times like these (spring football).

Coach Stieg is a great leader and that is why I believe SDSU will be a much taller task that SIU. Ya they are probably more talented, but you can bet your ass when they face adversity they won't fold like SIU did.

1 hour ago, FlinFlan80 said:

This unique spring season will be challenging for everyone, but even more challenging for teams who are replacing many key positions. As I talked about, after one game it’s hard to take anything away from it. Was the lack of rhythm on offense a factor of a fall off in talent, inexperience, it being an odd spring season, first game jitters? I’m sure it’s a combination of it all at this point. The good teams will be standing at the end of the season, I’m hoping NDSU is among them.

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

This unique spring season will be challenging for everyone, but even more challenging for teams who are replacing many key positions. As I talked about, after one game it’s hard to take anything away from it. Was the lack of rhythm on offense a factor of a fall off in talent, inexperience, it being an odd spring season, first game jitters? I’m sure it’s a combination of it all at this point. The good teams will be standing at the end of the season, I’m hoping NDSU is among them.

All teams have to replace talent every year. Some years more than others. That's part of coaching and a big part of why NDSU has had success. You do sound just like Dom Izzo with the "odd spring season" talk. I get it, its not normal or ideal, but it's not like NDSU is the only team going through it. I do find it comical how all NDSU fans are already using the "spring season" as an excuse, just in case the downfall occurs this season. 

I know I sound like a whiney UND am, but I grew up in the rivalry and am patiently waiting for UND to begin challenging NDSU again. Does it happen this spring? Probably not, but I can hope. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Bison06 said:

The jury is still out on Entz in my book, but the recruiting certainly doesn’t appear to have dropped off in his first two/three classes. We’ll see if the player development is able to keep pace in the next couple of years.

Jalen Bussey, Kobe Johnson, Dominic Ganella are all contributing already and we’ll have to see on others. Not a ton to go on just yet, this spring season and the fall will be the first real look we have at Entz’ guys.

They are contributing because they have to.  Who else is going to carry the ball?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hambone said:

The one thing that I think will help our runs defense is our CB.  I recorded the game and rewatched it this week and have watched a few other highlights and our DBs are just flat out good.  So fun to watch them and the depth we finally have.  

I agree with everything you said though, this weekend will be a test for our OL and DL like they have not faced since early last year when we got beat up.  

14 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I grew up in the rivalry and am patiently waiting for UND to begin challenging NDSU again. Does it happen this spring? Probably not, but I can hope. 

UND and NDSU will play each other at least twice in 2021, once in Fargo (March 20), and once in Grand Forks (October 2), plus any potential playoff match-ups.  I feel like one of these could go our way.  The Fargodome won't be as daunting this spring with limited capacity, and the Alerus could be a tough place for opponents to play next fall with (hopefully!) full houses.  Is it 1993 yet?!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

UND and NDSU will play each other at least twice in 2021, once in Fargo (March 20), and once in Grand Forks (October 2), plus any potential playoff match-ups.  I feel like one of these could go our way.  The Fargodome won't be as daunting this spring with limited capacity, and the Alerus could be a tough place for opponents to play next fall with (hopefully!) full houses.  Is it 1993 yet?!

Can't wait! I will bring my brother who is a NDSU fan under the condition that he does not get to wear NDSU gear. It's going to kill him lol!

28 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

All teams have to replace talent every year. Some years more than others. That's part of coaching and a big part of why NDSU has had success. You do sound just like Dom Izzo with the "odd spring season" talk. I get it, its not normal or ideal, but it's not like NDSU is the only team going through it. I do find it comical how all NDSU fans are already using the "spring season" as an excuse, just in case the downfall occurs this season. 

I know I sound like a whiney UND am, but I grew up in the rivalry and am patiently waiting for UND to begin challenging NDSU again. Does it happen this spring? Probably not, but I can hope. 

Nobody is making excuses. Simply discussing this literal once in a 100 years scenario all teams are in right now. I’m not saying ndsu is more or less prepared to adapt than any other team out there, just that the teams that are able to adapt will rise to the top. Will ndsu be one of them, we’ll find out. 

41 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

They are contributing because they have to.  Who else is going to carry the ball?  

Couldn’t you say the same thing about any starter? Did they earn the job or are they simply the best player the team has? Not sure what your point is.

21 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Nobody is making excuses. Simply discussing this literal once in a 100 years scenario all teams are in right now. I’m not saying ndsu is more or less prepared to adapt than any other team out there, just that the teams that are able to adapt will rise to the top. Will ndsu be one of them, we’ll find out. 

I will bet anything if the spring doesn't go the way the Bizon expect, that is the first thing that gets thrown out there by 95% of their fans. The other 5% are too concerned about how Philly hurt Wentz's feeling to care.

4 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I will bet anything if the spring doesn't go the way the Bizon expect, that is the first thing that gets thrown out there by 95% of their fans. The other 5% are too concerned about how Philly hurt Wentz's feeling to care.

Yeah, I’m sure UND would hate to have more fans in the seats that don’t understand the game very well. Their money is no good in Grand Forks. Success expands the fanbase, they aren’t all gonna be football experts.

11 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Yeah, I’m sure UND would hate to have more fans in the seats that don’t understand the game very well. Their money is no good in Grand Forks. Success expands the fanbase, they aren’t all gonna be football experts.

We have those, just in a different sport. In fact, I believe a good amount of them cheer for Bizon football. I'm not denying that fact that people love a winner.

35 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Couldn’t you say the same thing about any starter? Did they earn the job or are they simply the best player the team has? Not sure what your point is.

They are young and have to play cause there is nobody else older.  That is my point.  Doesn't mean they are great recruits at this point (even though they appear to be good players)

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

The Bison are the Bison...first time in awhile they don't have an NFL QB but they have talent all over the field and any team will have to play real well to beat them and probably win the turnover battle by +2 at least.

• Upvote 3