SiouxSports.com Forum

SCSU @ UND -- Saturday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

We need Tychonik and Bast back bad. Anyone heard anything on them? 

I respectfully disagree. We had our top 6 defensive DMen on the ice and it showed; only giving up 10 shots.  They call the position defense for a reason and it’s overlooked way too much.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

I respectfully disagree. We had our top 6 defensive DMen on the ice and it showed; only giving up 10 shots.  They call the position defense for a reason and it’s overlooked way too much.  

This is an awful take. I’m not sure too many here agree with you. 

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

If only it was Notre Dame.

MIchigan St tied and beat #3 Notre Dame, maybe we could of swept them too. Anyway, we did move ahead of them in the Pairwise.
This pic was with 11:29 left in the 1st period. Student section top left had a little room, most season ticket seats through out The Ralph had buts in them. Little better than Friday's attendance.

IMG_20191123_192153475.jpg

Last night was probably UND's worst 60 (+) minutes of hockey this season. That was a game they would have lost last season and/or the season before. Winning last night is an indication this squad is vastly different from the previous 2 that missed the NCAAs. They have something different. They will be playing in late March....... possibly April.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, ksixpack said:

I have to disagree with you.  All 5 skaters have three zone responsibility.  The fact we only had 18 shots get through in 3 periods is not all on the forwards.  Offense from the D is huge, not just as safety valves or bombs from the point, but also transition and high-low play.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I have to disagree with you.  All 5 skaters have three zone responsibility.  The fact we only had 18 shots get through in 3 periods is not all on the forwards.  Offense from the D is huge, not just as safety valves or bombs from the point, but also transition and high-low play.  

Sure offense from the D is huge but not at the expense of giving up odd man rushes and not clearing guys in the front of the net.  In a 1-1 type of tight checking game like last night was I would take my chances defensively with the guys we had out there.  We limited them to 10 shots and basically no odd man rushes and rebound chances.  You will win a lot of games when you just have to get to 2 to win and you won’t lose many holding the opponent to 1. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

This is an awful take. I’m not sure too many here agree with you. 

Look, they held a desperate St Cloud team to 10 shots and one fluke goal.  You can not argue that our D men did not do their job defensively and put us in good position to win that game.  That wasn’t Huntsville last night;  it was a team that was 1 year removed from being the #1 seed in the tourney... still a lot of pride in that locker room from the guys that were around from last year.  They will make some noise by the end of the year.  It wasn’t a pretty game last night but that’s the type of game it was and defensively we obviously did well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Last night was probably UND's worst 60 (+) minutes of hockey this season. That was a game they would have lost last season and/or the season before. Winning last night is an indication this squad is vastly different from the previous 2 that missed the NCAAs. They have something different. They will be playing in late March....... possibly April.

Listen to Berry in his post-game comments last night. I was following this thread throughout the game, and from what people were saying here, it sounded like an embarrassing performance.

Then Berry gave his post-game analysis and he sounded quite pleased, he even stated it was a better overall game than Friday: crisper passes, better transition. He said we started out very well the first 5 or 6 shifts, got flat for awhile after a penalty got us out of rhythm, then picked it up again.

I don't think he's one to sugarcoat things if he doesn't like the performance; he usually lets the media know about it. Like some have said, it was the second game & we were playing a desperate team who has pride & who did not want to get swept. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, .357 said:

Listen to Berry in his post-game comments last night. I was following this thread throughout the game, and from what people were saying here, it sounded like an embarrassing performance.

Then Berry gave his post-game analysis and he sounded quite pleased, he even stated it was a better overall game than Friday: crisper passes, better transition. He said we started out very well the first 5 or 6 shifts, got flat for awhile after a penalty got us out of rhythm, then picked it up again.

I don't think he's one to sugarcoat things if he doesn't like the performance; he usually lets the media know about it. Like some have said, it was the second game & we were playing a desperate team who has pride & who did not want to get swept. 

Spot on.  Coaches love shut down defensive tight checking games with very few mistakes.  Fans not so much and often confuse these type of games as poor play when in actuality it is good defensive play without mistakes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sodbuster said:

A lot on here didn't think UND had one of their better performances last night. If that be the case (and I'm not sure if it was or wasn't), could they have been looking ahead to Minnesota? 

Doubt it. Frankly “looking ahead” is more of a fan and media issue. Once the puck drops players play. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ksixpack said:

Look, they held a desperate St Cloud team to 10 shots and one fluke goal.  You can not argue that our D men did not do their job defensively and put us in good position to win that game.  That wasn’t Huntsville last night;  it was a team that was 1 year removed from being the #1 seed in the tourney... still a lot of pride in that locker room from the guys that were around from last year.  They will make some noise by the end of the year.  It wasn’t a pretty game last night but that’s the type of game it was and defensively we obviously did well.

They have been holding teams down on shots all year.  Yes, St. Cloud is one year removed from the #1 seed, but need to get acclimated to the loss of Poehling, Jackson, Newell, Blake Lizotte, Jon Lizotte,  Schuldt, and even Benson.  That is a lot of firepower gone that almost forces St. Cloud to play less wide open.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

The bemidji series wasn't that good either. Almost lost Friday night.

Rewatching the game, UND had some flat moments but they controlled the quality chances to score. There were a handful that were tipped just wide or a guy just not able to get a stick down. SCSU's goal was a fluke with Scheel out of position, but he was lockdown on everything else. UND controlled that a lot more than the score would indicate.

My how the times change ... 

Saturday night SCSU looked like a late-1990s MSU-Mankato squad with all the shoves-tugs, clogging up the middle, choosing the change instead of the attack, and sitting back looking for the counter-punch strike via an odd-man mistake by the opponent. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My how the times change ... 

Saturday night SCSU looked like a late-1990s MSU-Mankato squad with all the shoves-tugs, clogging up the middle, choosing the change instead of the attack, and sitting back looking for the counter-punch strike via an odd-man mistake by the opponent. 

Sure did. I recall 4 board scrums where the were pinning the puck with out any real effort to move it in the third period, alone. Significant amounts of time. They were trying to hold on for a tie and I'm SO glad we bit them for it.