SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber State

siouxfan512

Might as well get the conversation rolling on Weber. I don't know much about them, and maybe we will learn a bit during our bye week as they play @ Sac St. Hopefully we see some guys get healthy this week, and put together a good game plan, especially defensively. 

If I recall, we put up a really good fight against Weber last year, but gave up a lot of big runs to their Freshman; I think it was Josh Davis, who is currently the 3rd most rushing yards behind Duy (CP) and Flanagan (ISU).

Offensively, Weber St is in the middle of the big sky, but defensively is #2 (20.4 PPG) behind only Sac St. Weber has the 4th best rush offense in the BSC, but are bear the bottom in passing with only 167.5 avg per game, ahead of only Cal Poly and their triple option. This lines up similar to Montana St. who has the #1 rushing offense in the BSC, but are just one slot ahead of Weber in passing.

Wildcats are 2nd in the BSC in Sack with 23, so the OL will need to be ready, and Kett will need to get the ball out quick. Coaches really need to scheme here. Short, quick passes and try to open up the run game a bit. Hope to see some more BB plays, be it run or pass. 

One thing I did notice, is that while Weber has played 2 FBS schools, they have not been overly tested within the conference. To this point, they have not played a BSC team with a winning record (They did host and beat UNI):

-Poly (2-6)

-Idaho (3-5)

-S. Utah (2-7)

-N. Arizona (4-4)

-UC Davis (4-5)

-Sac St. will pose a big challenge this weekend

UND is just inside the playoff picture according to NoBowls, but I haven't seen any mention of us anywhere else. I don't like the EWU loss, because we shot ourselves in the foot with turnovers, but the ISU beat down is what is truly holding us back right now. We are sitting at #14 according to Massey, and somehow finding a way to win against Weber (and on the road) would do a lot to erase some of the ISU blemish. Last year Weber was #4 and we expected a really low scoring and defensive game, which ended up in a 30-35 shootout. I would expect a defensive showing again this year, but who knows, we have also seen UND's defense break down badly on the road.

Get healthy, Get Prepared and Get the Win!

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Might as well get the conversation rolling on Weber. I don't know much about them, and maybe we will learn a bit during our bye week as they play @ Sac St. Hopefully we see some guys get healthy this week, and put together a good game plan, especially defensively. 

If I recall, we put up a really good fight against Weber last year, but gave up a lot of big runs to their Freshman; I think it was Josh Davis, who is currently the 3rd most rushing yards behind Duy (CP) and Flanagan (ISU).

Offensively, Weber St is in the middle of the big sky, but defensively is #2 (20.4 PPG) behind only Sac St. Weber has the 4th best rush offense in the BSC, but are bear the bottom in passing with only 167.5 avg per game, ahead of only Cal Poly and their triple option. This lines up similar to Montana St. who has the #1 rushing offense in the BSC, but are just one slot ahead of Weber in passing.

Wildcats are 2nd in the BSC in Sack with 23, so the OL will need to be ready, and Kett will need to get the ball out quick. Coaches really need to scheme here. Short, quick passes and try to open up the run game a bit. Hope to see some more BB plays, be it run or pass. 

One thing I did notice, is that while Weber has played 2 FBS schools, they have not been overly tested within the conference. To this point, they have not played a BSC team with a winning record (They did host and beat UNI):

-Poly (2-6)

-Idaho (3-5)

-S. Utah (2-7)

-N. Arizona (4-4)

-UC Davis (4-5)

-Sac St. will pose a big challenge this weekend

UND is just inside the playoff picture according to NoBowls, but I haven't seen any mention of us anywhere else. I don't like the EWU loss, because we shot ourselves in the foot with turnovers, but the ISU beat down is what is truly holding us back right now. We are sitting at #14 according to Massey, and somehow finding a way to win against Weber (and on the road) would do a lot to erase some of the ISU blemish. Last year Weber was #4 and we expected a really low scoring and defensive game, which ended up in a 30-35 shootout. I would expect a defensive showing again this year, but who knows, we have also seen UND's defense break down badly on the road.

Get healthy, Get Prepared and Get the Win!

The scenario is set up the same as the first bye week: A home win vs. a ranked opponent in a thriller (SHSU 27-23), much needed bye week to nurse some injuries, then road game against a ranked opponent (EWU).  Hopefully we learned our lesson and don't repeat the mistakes of EWU when we get to WSU.

• Upvote 1

The difference with Weber is not many people are expecting a UND win, maybe we go into this one with a bit different mindset than EW and Idaho State.  Many were predicting a win at EW and ISU and maybe we were a bit over confident ?

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

The scenario is set up the same as the first bye week: A home win vs. a ranked opponent in a thriller (SHSU 27-23), much needed bye week to nurse some injuries, then road game against a ranked opponent (EWU).  Hopefully we learned our lesson and don't repeat the mistakes of EWU when we get to WSU.

Very different situations. We won’t have a qb coming back fresh from an injury who is very gunshy and rusty.

39 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Very different situations. We won’t have a qb coming back fresh from an injury who is very gunshy and rusty.

Obviously specific players who need recovery time are different, but the overall similarities are there. Wasn’t expecting someone to take the comment so literal.

UND really needs to hope for a Weber win vs Sac, since Sac isn't on our schedule.  Weber loses, and they will drop to around ten in the polls - would much rather be facing the #3 or #4 team in the country two weeks from now to help with our SOS.  Weber loses vs Sac, and a win vs Weber doesn't look much better than the Montana State win imo.

• Upvote 2

Weber St’s next four games:

at Sac St

vs UND

at Montana

vs Idaho St

The next three games gives me more confidence in UND’s chances.   When facing off against UND, they may need to lick wounds after Sac St or if they win might looking forward to Montana.  Although they beat UC-Davis this week, they have played mostly the BSC cellar dwellers.  

3 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Rutroe 

hopefully we are smarter

The score was 30-35 or something like that last year.  But I believe we scored two non offensive TD's.  Our offense didn't do much, thankfully we have some more creativity in the offense this year.  However it will be tough sledding on the road against Weber.  Can't have fumbles and will need some timely 3rd and/or 4th down conversions.  Need to make FG's when we get the chance.  We got the big play last week off a trick play, doesn't need to be a trick play but will need to get a big offensive play here and there.  

Looks like a low scoring game to me.  If we can stuff the run like we did against the Cats we have a good chance.  Our linebacker play was phenomenal last week.  Donnell was a great leader and I expect another big game from him.

Moving the ball will be a struggle.  Rushing yards tough to come by, maybe see a bit more of game planning having Boltman in the backfield to bring the safeties down and pop something downfield like last week.  

Get a good week in the treatment room and the film room.

Hopefully Sac St. pounds on them a bit too. 

As the other poster said.....have to hope Weber beats Sac St.....would make a win against them on the road look really impressive.   And i hate to say it, but if we lose and it's a tight 4th quarter game that still looks ok.  But a win almost assures us playoffs unless we totally crapped the bed the last two weeks (which we did last year).   Let's hope they play Sac St. into OT in a battle.  

I was honestly the most nervous of any game this year......last week against MSU.  With our injuries and our up and down......I was really afraid MSU might roll us and our realistic playoff chances would have mostly been over.  Lets' hope the coaches Belichik it up again against Weber! 

Very anxious to see the availability of Turner, Bennett and Morrison. Going strictly off this board, it sounded like Morrison was 50/50 last week (didn't play), just watching this weeks Day by Day, Bennett seemed to be moving pretty well in some of the celebration videos (was listed Doubtful last week / didn't play). Offensively, could really use McKinney back as well. 

Is Waletzko the only player that has officially been counted out for the year? 

24 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Any chance we can talk midco into picking up this game?

One of the many things I love about Midco is they seem to try their best to get these games on. Unfortunately, both USD and SDSU are at home starting at 2pm that day.

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Very anxious to see the availability of Turner, Bennett and Morrison. Going strictly off this board, it sounded like Morrison was 50/50 last week (didn't play), just watching this weeks Day by Day, Bennett seemed to be moving pretty well in some of the celebration videos (was listed Doubtful last week / didn't play). Offensively, could really use McKinney back as well. 

Is Waletzko the only player that has officially been counted out for the year? 

I"m worried about Jax Turner too.

Saw Waletzko's dad at the game. Cool he came even though his son isn't able to play. 

18 hours ago, AJS said:

One of the many things I love about Midco is they seem to try their best to get these games on. Unfortunately, both USD and SDSU are at home starting at 2pm that day.

I wonder if WDAZ Extra would pick this up.  i think they pick the Montana St game up a couple years ago.  Otherwise I guess it is cross your fingers with Pluto TV.