SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 DI Mens Ice Hockey Championship

Cratter

On 3/25/2019 at 7:20 AM, burd said:

SCSU has been playing dam good hockey for years under Motzko and now.  They deserve a banner.  

Not after that knee on knee on Mismash by their “captain” that went uncalled.  SCREW THEM and whatever his name is that might win the hobey, WHAT AN EFFING JOKE!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

In order, who I would like to win the NCAA championship this year:

#15.  Notre Dame.  Do you really want to go thru the off-season listening to @JohnboyND7 yap about NDSU's football championship AND Notre Dame's hockey natty?  Yea, I didn't think so.  

#16.  Minnesota Duluth.  This really is more of a concern about @DrunkHockeyGuy and his health than anything.  I'd hate to see him requiring a liver transplant after winning a 2nd consecutive national title.  Bruce Ciskie is so likable, though, so it's hard to, wait, no it's not.      

Looks good but Denver absolutely has to be in the 14-16 mix with these two, too many bad memories linger from days past. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

#1.  Providence College.  I know, I know, they just won it a few years ago, but PC is near MafiaMom's old stomping grounds up there in RI.  The Friars have always been my second-favorite team.  And who doesn't love those skating friar jerseys?

#2.  Bowling Green.  Now this would be a nice story for a program that hasn't done much since the mid 1980's.  And they have a Bismark Century kid on the roster, to boot, in Alec Rauhauser.  Sentimental choice.   

#3.  Minnesota State.  Not really a fan of those gaudy purple uniforms, but this is another program where an NCAA championship would cause heads just up the road on Hwy 169 to explode.  And Jared Spooner's a Bismarck High School kid, too, so there's that.  

#4.  Northeastern@Wilbur  What if I told you that a Boston school won the NCAA hockey title...and it wasn't BU, BC, or Harvard?  ESPN 30 for 30 presents...The Huskies You've Never Heard Of.  

#5.  UMass.  Yes, this continues to violate the policy of hating Hockey East, but UMass has been a doormat for a long time.  Bonus as BU and BC might just shut down their respective programs if the Minutemen win the title.  

#6.  American International College.  While some might view this as a slap in the face to NCAA men's hockey, it actually would make me feel better about the Canisius College series.  Raise your hand if you knew that the Yellow Jackets have been playing hockey since 1948.  Anyone?  Anyone?    

#7.  Cornell.  Yea, the Big Red has typically been the Big Dud come NCAA tournament time, but this program is loaded with history and tradition.  I could rally around that like I did around Yale's 2013 run (wow, has that been that long ago already?).  Cody Haiskanen played at Fargo Davies and with the Force, too.  

#8.  Arizona State.  My heart says 'no'...the long-lost puck bunny admirer in me says 'yes.'  

#9.  St. Cloud State.  The last time a coach won a title in his first go-round, his team fell off drastically the next three years.  Hmnnn...maybe I should have the Huskies ranked much higher on my list for that very reason?  

#10.  Harvard.  Princess Jimmy Vesey provided a little too much drama for me the last time you guys were sniffing around the NCAA's.  

#11.  Denver.  This would make @stoneySIOUX go mad, which is why I can't have them farther down the list.  @Godsmack , I know you won't like DU this high either, but who you gonna swap places with in five below this?  

#12.  Clarkson.  A little too NDSU-like color-wise for my taste.  No reason to hate them, but no reason to like them either.  @Oxbow6 thinks otherwise, 'cuz they're kinda Green Bay's colors too.  Agree to disagree, I guess.    

#13.  Ohio State.  The Buckeyes could win this thing, show up on campus in a couple of weeks with the title trophy, and 99.99% of their fans would complain about the hockey team interrupting the spring football game.  

#14.  Quinnipiac.  I'm tempted to pull for the team that's had such heartbreak in recent in years...then I remembered that Rand Pecknold is their coach.  That logo sucks too.  

#15.  Notre Dame.  Do you really want to go thru the off-season listening to @JohnboyND7 yap about NDSU's football championship AND Notre Dame's hockey natty?  Yea, I didn't think so.  

#16.  Minnesota Duluth.  This really is more of a concern about @DrunkHockeyGuy and his health than anything.  I'd hate to see him requiring a liver transplant after winning a 2nd consecutive national title.  Bruce Ciskie is so likable, though, so it's hard to, wait, no it's not.      

You have Clarkson below DU simply because of the colors of their uni’s?!?! They could show up wearing CCCP jerseys and I’d still root for them over DU any day of the week and twice on Sundays!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

You have Clarkson below DU simply because of the colors of their uni’s?!?! They could show up wearing CCCP jerseys and I’d still root for them over DU any day of the week and twice on Sundays!

Well, to be fair, Red Army broomball wears CCCP jerseys and you still talked to me at the Hogg, but I digress...

I’ve buried the hatchet with DU after that Gwoz article came out earlier this season.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I watched the first quarter of the football game this year and fell asleep. You'd only hear about the hockey title. 

6 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Would be pretty impressive to see 1/2 of the league with a national title within four years of the NCHC being founded.  I may have to move St Cloud State up on my list!

I don't know how we could tolerate their fan base if they win it all.  I like the fact that they've never won anything. They're not graceful winners and I enjoyed watching them lose last weekend. That was awesome. I even had a beer with @DrunkHockeyGuy last weekend after the championship game. He had a point, it's the playoffs, so they're probably going to choke. With Duluth, at least they have some ex-UND hockey players coaching them. They play the way UND did when they won it all. I can admire that. As a young kid, I used to live in International Falls, MN and I had a UMD jersey with Tom Herzig's name on the back. Now, I have to take a shower after typing that. :) 

16 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Lighten up everyone and enjoy the hand that wad dealt 

enjoy the journey 

If that doesn't work for you, enjoy an adult beverage. Go fishing. Play golf. The fall will be here soon.