SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 DI Mens Ice Hockey Championship

Cratter

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Wonder which regional will have the highest attendance.

Capacities:

East- Dunkin Donuts Center  12,400

N.East- SNHU Arena  9,852

Midwest- PPL Center  8,420 (+600 SRO)

West -  Scheels Arena 6,000

DD Center definitely has a head start on the 'empty seats' crown.

If the St Cloud fans can remember that I94 runs in both directions, :D they might put up good numbers. There were a LOT more of them at the XCel then I have seen in past years at the Frozen Faceoff.

36 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

If Iowa doesn't add hockey, the new 5,250 seat arena in Coralville would be a great Midwest regional site.  Most of the other USHL arenas are all too small.

Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines is another option that is available right now.  Ice is in all winter for the Iowa Wild.

47 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

If Iowa doesn't add hockey, the new 5,250 seat arena in Coralville would be a great Midwest regional site.  Most of the other USHL arenas are all too small.

And Omaha has three other arenas they could host a regional and possibly Nebraska’s basketball arena too.

Some tournament notes: http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles/2019/03/top-2019-ncaa-tournament-storylines.php

• None of the top five schools in all-time appearances made the field (Michigan, Minnesota, Boston University, Boston College, North Dakota), nor did the top seven schools in all-time tournament games played (those five plus Wisconsin, Michigan State).
  • Ten schools have won three or more titles and only one of those is in the field (Denver).
  • Boston College, Boston University, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota and Wisconsin have all won five or more titles. This is the first time in 50 years and only the second time ever that none of them are in the tournament (the 1969 tournament featured Denver, Cornell, Harvard and Michigan Tech).

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines is another option that is available right now.  Ice is in all winter for the Iowa Wild.

I see zero chance they put in a bid (if that's how they're selected). As a DSM resident, hockey, especially college hockey, would have little to no local support. Nobody here would care. Iowa Wild have been here 5+ years and I don't think they've even sold out one game. And thats AHL hockey. They didn't even sell out the NHL preseason game last fall between the Wild and Blues. 

Maybe I'm a Debbie Downer but I don't ever see Des Moines hosting. Just because the building is here doesn't mean it'd get use. I would love it but it took until 2016 to even get ncaa basketball, let alone hockey. The only benefit is the schedule is slowing down at the Well this time of year. 

21 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

I see zero chance they put in a bid (if that's how they're selected). As a DSM resident, hockey, especially college hockey, would have little to no local support. Nobody here would care. Iowa Wild have been here 5+ years and I don't think they've even sold out one game. And thats AHL hockey. They didn't even sell out the NHL preseason game last fall between the Wild and Blues. 

Maybe I'm a Debbie Downer but I don't ever see Des Moines hosting. Just because the building is here doesn't mean it'd get use. I would love it but it took until 2016 to even get ncaa basketball, let alone hockey. The only benefit is the schedule is slowing down at the Well this time of year. 

That arena is just way too big.  

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

SiouxVolley’s sources tell him that they are imploding the current facility and building a new one five times bigger...

If you were more of a visionary you would know Des Moines is in line for the next NHL franchise, the proverbial Bruins of the midwest I'm told. I have 67,000 factors which prove it...just ask I dare you.

2 hours ago, jodcon said:

If you were more of a visionary you would know Des Moines is in line for the next NHL franchise, the proverbial Bruins of the midwest I'm told.

Boy, I sure like the sound of that...Mafia?  Not so much I'm guessing.:D

On 3/24/2019 at 11:45 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Gives Melrose more time to get sauced.

On 3/24/2019 at 11:59 AM, 90siouxfan said:

Am I the only one that seems to be developing a list of hockey personalities that I don't like?  I am not talking the campus / local homers...   I understand their situation and unless they show total lack of understanding I give them a bit of a pass.  But Melrose, Ferraro, Pierre McGuire just make me want to stop listening....

On 3/24/2019 at 12:08 PM, Blackheart said:

Don’t forget Mr Catchphrase himself, Bucci!

Ron Burgundy does a better job then all of them.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Langster019 said:

I agree that I don't see it, and my follow up question is who would host?

12 hours ago, jodcon said:

If you were more of a visionary you would know Des Moines is in line for the next NHL franchise, the proverbial Bruins of the midwest I'm told. I have 67,000 factors which prove it...just ask I dare you.

I was told that Williston, ND was just ahead of them.  They're thinking 2024 for a start-date.  Hot rumor is that Brad Marchand will be made available by the Bruins in the expansion draft.  

23 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I was told that Williston, ND was just ahead of them.  They're thinking 2024 for a start-date.  Hot rumor is that Brad Marchand will be made available by the Bruins in the expansion draft.  

Oh yeah forgot about oil money, that trumps everything else. I wonder if they will make a play for Edmonton's name, really they should be the Edmonton Mallers anyway because that's all people know them for?

I guess a backup plan would be Williston Dino Lubes, that could produce some good logo options.