SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Ball

Nodak78

It is still disappointing that UND does not have the will to make the final spring ball scrimmage more of an event for the fans. It must be intentionally since other schools have figured it out. Lost opportunity. 

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

It is still disappointing that UND does not have the will to make the final spring ball scrimmage more of an event for the fans. It must be intentionally since other schools have figured it out. Lost opportunity. 

It’s intentional. It would be an event if the head coach wanted it to be an event. 

13 hours ago, Class_of_98 said:

For those who have attended, who is playing NG and how are they doing?

It’s a rotation of Jalen Morrison, Carl Engwall and Griffin Lickdeldt. Morrison is very talented but a tad undersized to clog up the middle. Hopefully offenses will key on Bennett a lot, and if Zeke comes back healthy with more experience and with speedy outside LBs Like Turner in the mix, we can still give opposing OCs something to think about. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

It’s a rotation of Jalen Morrison, Carl Engwall and Griffin Lickdeldt. Morrison is very talented but a tad undersized to clog up the middle. Hopefully offenses will key on Bennett a lot, and if Zeke comes back healthy with more experience and with speedy outside LBs Like Turner in the mix, we can still give opposing OCs something to think about. 

So we’re small and gonna get piss pounded up the middle against NDSU unless something changes over the summer?

20 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

It’s intentional. It would be an event if the head coach wanted it to be an event. 

Bubba obviously doesn’t want any secrets from UND’s complicated offensive schemes being leaked to opponents...

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

So we’re small and gonna get piss pounded up the middle against NDSU unless something changes over the summer?

I just don't understand what the staff was thinking with the NG position. Cal Poly could get ugly too. Hopefully they're able to prove they had it all taken care of the whole time. 

3 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

If weight of a ng is the biggest factor in how well you can perform I don’t understand why we can’t just stick a big ole.330 pound offensive lineman as ng to plug things up.

I’m not sure that is the biggest factor. It’s important unless they don’t move well. I will take a 280-290lb guy with great quickness, and great core and upper body strength over a 330lb guy with 30lbs of insulation hanging over his belt. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I’m not sure that is the biggest factor. It’s important unless they don’t move well. I will take a 280-290lb guy with great quickness, and great core and upper body strength over a 330lb guy with 30lbs of insulation hanging over his belt. 

Absolutely. I just don’t like the thought of an undersized DL in a 3-4. We need those guys to, at the very least, be hard to move.

Yup. Hopefully can tie up 2 blockers. Plugs up the middle and keeps the extra blocker off of the LB. in addition if he’s quick can disrupt off tackle run game and factor into the pass rush. I still like the versatility of the speed and quickness if they are strong enough. Can give the defense added versatility in their schemes especially attacking the passer.  If the big guy is quick with great strength instead of xs fat I’ll take him. 

7 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

thinking the same thing...glaring weakness so far unless we don't know everything goin on

We seem to have pretty good depth now at almost every position but NG.  They knew a year ago at this time we were losing two of your NG's and did nothing.   I'd love to give the staff the benefit of the doubt....but I have a feeling we are going to get pushed around all year up the middle and it's going to hurt us.  I sure hope I'm wrong.

32 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

We seem to have pretty good depth now at almost every position but NG.  They knew a year ago at this time we were losing two of your NG's and did nothing.   I'd love to give the staff the benefit of the doubt....but I have a feeling we are going to get pushed around all year up the middle and it's going to hurt us.  I sure hope I'm wrong.

I just don’t see how they won’t move a shorter OL to nose. They’ve got to do something to beef up inside on d.

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I just don’t see how they won’t move a shorter OL to nose. They’ve got to do something to beef up inside on d.

You think they'd be doing that already now though wouldn't you? I mean whomever is going to switch would need some time to make that adjustment I'd think.

55 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Is Izzy going to be 100% come this fall?  Is he practicing in spring practice?  Danny didn't even mention him when talking about the WR's. 

I’ve been to three practices spread out over the spring and he has yet to put on a helmet, pads, or jersey. Mainly been in shorts and t-shirt on the sideline. 

9 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Is Izzy going to be 100% come this fall?  Is he practicing in spring practice?  Danny didn't even mention him when talking about the WR's. 

I’d assume he’ll be fine. He’s a straight line runner with no wiggle which should allow him to be back to what he was doing faster than if he was a Santiago type.

49 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Bubba needs to pull his head out of his ass with spring ball. Our program needs hype anywhere it can find it and a fun spring game could be a great celebration of the future of the program. Instead we get this pile of meh.

Must have been the day back-up kickers actually got to see the field for you to be so upset. You're stuck in the 90's when some programs actually had foolish "alumni games." Most programs have moved away from full-on spring games. (Clemson and Alabama don't count. They could throw a marshmallow roast and get attendance and make money.) The last full spring game at the Alerus Center drew about 300. You don't know s&^t about marketing and promotion. When you aren't drawing a crowd, best to keep it low profile and get some work done. Not to mention budget issues. Do you think the Alerus Center let's UND Football use the facility out of the goodness of their heart. The head that needs pulling out of one's backside might be your own.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Must have been the day back-up kickers actually got to see the field for you to be so upset. You're stuck in the 90's when some programs actually had foolish "alumni games." Most programs have moved away from full-on spring games. (Clemson and Alabama don't count. They could throw a marshmallow roast and get attendance and make money.) The last full spring game at the Alerus Center drew about 300. You don't know s&^t about marketing and promotion. When you aren't drawing a crowd, best to keep it low profile and get some work done. Not to mention budget issues. Do you think the Alerus Center let's UND Football use the facility out of the goodness of their heart. The head that needs pulling out of one's backside might be your own.

It drew 300 because there was a spring game or because the fans wanted Mussman fired?

How exactly do you know that I don’t know !@#$ about marketing and promotion? 

Im well aware of the economics of the Alerus.