SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Ball

Nodak78

15 hours ago, MadScout03 said:

I was at practice today so I'll try my hand at a brief write-up.  First of all, the new seats in the HPC look great.  The seats were part of the building's plans, so they should look like they've always been there (and they do), but it was still nice to see them in person.  Being elevated with a place to sit or stand with a narrow railing top to lean on was really nice.

A lot of the morning was spent in drills.  All four QBs got their turn.  Boltman definitely gets the ball out quicker than the others but his accuracy was a bit off (lots of low and high throws).  London is wearing John's #22, which will take some getting used to.  He's got good size and speed.  The backfield is going to be fun to watch.  McKinney looked quick on both punt returns and running routes, as did Griebel.  Tyler Burian had a couple of really nice catches along the sidelines.  However, as a whole, there were a lot of drops by the WRs.  

I didn't watch the defense much in drills, but Canady had a nice pick late in the practice and Blubaugh made a great play and almost came up with a pick on the first play of live sessions.

Overall, I can tell you this...this offense is going to have a lot of deception to it.  Lots of moving parts to create space, where the skill positions will be giving opposing defenses a lot of different looks on the same play.  The plays were called in and the guys lined up without hesitation, so I have to believe the playbook has been looked over plenty.  

One play that stood out to me happened right in front of where I was sitting.  With trips left, the QB sent a WR in motion.  It could've been a jet sweep but it wasn't.  As he got to the other side of the line, he turned to line up, looking to run downfield, but as the ball was snapped, the WR continued moving right, while curling back for a pass.  The play didn't even go to him, but he could've received the ball three different ways.  I apologize for my poor terminology, but it was a lot of fun to see.  These types of plays are going to keep defenses honest and hopefully prevent them from stacking the box as we so regularly saw in the recent past.  

That's all I have for now, so hopefully others will add to it.  

Thanks, MadScout.

50 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

A lazy effort on some weights........a lot of no gains with safeties and LBs.  Mason Bennett back to 235, doubt it!!  

Tough to know which ones are accurate in that list. JJ down to 235? That’d be great. MVJ up to 215? Also great. Then there’s Bennett and some others who’s weights appear to be outdated, hopefully.

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

Great news. He steadily improved each game last season. 

Absolutely. Like the tweet said, huge for ILB depth, now not only returning both starters, but also 2 of the first 3 backups. Haas back will also be a big boost to the OLB position. 

Is this correct, from the back 7 last year are the only players they lost, that played, Harris (CB), Palmborg (OLB) and Williams (ILB)? 

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Absolutely. Like the tweet said, huge for ILB depth, now not only returning both starters, but also 2 of the first 3 backups. Haas back will also be a big boost to the OLB position. 

Is this correct, from the back 7 last year are the only players they lost, that played, Harris (CB), Palmborg (OLB) and Williams (ILB)? 

Without looking I think Flowers at Safety will be graduating. If we see year over year improvement we could be in good shape here.

Looking at the "conference" part of their schedule last year, the team gave up an average of 21.75 points. Basically split pretty evenly into good / bad type performances (ST's TDs given up counting as well into the total). Overall, not spectacular, but also pretty respectable overall. 

To take it one step further, adding DE's, the players on the two-deep (or that played) that won't be on the team this fall, Harris (CB), Palmborg (OLB), Williams (ILB), Cieslak (DE). That's pretty remarkable though, 5 of the 6 positional groups being accounted for, only losing 3 starters total and 1 depth player, spread very evenly, no position losing more than one. All 5 of those positions should be in good shape heading into next year. Of course, I left out the NG position. The big question mark heading into next year. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

Looking at the "conference" part of their schedule last year, the team gave up an average of 21.75 points. Basically split pretty evenly into good / bad type performances (ST's TDs given up counting as well into the total). Overall, not spectacular, but also pretty respectable overall. 

To take it one step further, adding DE's, the players on the two-deep (or that played) that won't be on the team this fall, Harris (CB), Palmborg (OLB), Williams (ILB), Cieslak (DE). That's pretty remarkable though, 5 of the 6 positional groups being accounted for, only losing 3 starters total and 1 depth player, spread very evenly, no position losing more than one. All 5 of those positions should be in good shape heading into next year. Of course, I left out the NG position. The big question mark heading into next year. 

Thanks for the insights. I have to believe that the coaches will have the NG position covered. Either by the same type of player we think is needed or by scheme.

it seems that we have more bases covered and more depth all around.

Sweet!!