SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Ball

Nodak78

34 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I do agree a successful program philosophy is far more about the prospective recruits and CURRENT players than the alumni and fans of yesteryear. The alumni and fans (aka us on this forum) may not like to hear that, but UND football support will definitely be there - regardless of the uniforms or spring game antics - if the team wins a bunch in the fall.

Guess what folks-  really good recruits/players are those who do such winning. Not those in the stands whose time has passed.

Awful basic lesson here I guess but I just wanted to remind everyone that UND does perhaps need to step up its approach some in order to better appeal to talented recruits. Yes, that does include improving uniform/helmet alternates and the spring game.

With that said, MOST IMPORTANTLY, HPC Phase II would do far more for UND football than 10 beautiful uniform combos and a flawless spring game combined, but it requires big $$$ that UND doesn’t have [yet].

What’s the price tag on an improved spring game experience? A hell of a lot less than Phase II. Why not try and capitalize on that in the mean time?

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

What’s the price tag on an improved spring game experience? A hell of a lot less than Phase II. Why not try and capitalize on that in the mean time?

In my post you just quoted: “Awful basic lesson here I guess but I just wanted to remind everyone that UND does perhaps need to step up its approach some in order to better appeal to talented recruits. Yes, that does include improving uniform/helmet alternates and the spring game.”

I still stand by my original statement that HPC Phase II would do more for UND football than an “improved spring game experience”, but other things like uniforms and spring game planning are factors too. 

Of course HPC Phase II costs more ... 

what do the recruits and current players want?

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

In my post you just quoted: “Awful basic lesson here I guess but I just wanted to remind everyone that UND does perhaps need to step up its approach some in order to better appeal to talented recruits. Yes, that does include improving uniform/helmet alternates and the spring game.”

I still stand by my original statement that HPC Phase II would do more for UND football than an “improved spring game experience”, but other things like uniforms and spring game planning are factors too. 

Of course HPC Phase II costs more ... 

HPC II would tip the facilities scale in our favor over all of our rivals, in most sports. Not just the offices and locker rooms but the academic spaces and sports med spaces would be immeasurable upgrades. We need that money yesterday.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

HPC II would tip the facilities scale in our favor over all of our rivals, in most sports. Not just the offices and locker rooms but the academic spaces and sports med spaces would be immeasurable upgrades. We need that money yesterday.

I agree 100%.  Is there anywhere we can get an update as to the status of HPC II?

13 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’m not sure if you are trying to argue, and if you are, I have no idea about what. A large deal of my posts over the past year have mentioned the importance of High Performance Center Phase II,  so I certainly am not arguing about that.  

Funding is needed for this important project - HPC Phase II.  

Do you think prospective recruits and current players would like the HPC phase II? Absolutely. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I’m not sure if you are trying to argue, and if you are, I have no idea about what. A large deal of my posts over the past year have mentioned the importance of High Performance Center Phase II,  so I certainly am not arguing about that.  

Funding is needed for this important project - HPC Phase II.  

Do you think prospective recruits and current players would like the HPC phase II? Absolutely. 

I’m not arguing. I’m agreeing.

An added benefit of our new offense is it will help our defense when we play teams like Weber, Eastern Washington etc..  They will be used to seeing a lot more misdirection and things going on, other than run up the middle, toss left or right, pass to Wanzek.  And we run some up tempo on offense in practice too which will help.  I'm ok during games being slow and deliberate to burn clock against teams like EWU.  To me you can still be a ball control team without having to be ground and pound up the middle, you just need to move the chains consistently.  Move the chains, take your time in the huddle....you can still give your defense a rest and keep the other potent offense off the field.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

An added benefit of our new offense is it will help our defense when we play teams like Weber, Eastern Washington etc..  They will be used to seeing a lot more misdirection and things going on, other than run up the middle, toss left or right, pass to Wanzek.  And we run some up tempo on offense in practice too which will help.  I'm ok during games being slow and deliberate to burn clock against teams like EWU.  To me you can still be a ball control team without having to be ground and pound up the middle, you just need to move the chains consistently.  Move the chains, take your time in the huddle....you can still give your defense a rest and keep the other potent offense off the field.  

To me, the model that we need to look at is Oklahoma. You look at that offense and you notice just how much they run. Yes, they are known for passing the ball but of course you're going to throw when you have the likes of Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray but when that offense was humming it was because the run game was constantly attacking the defense. Defenses would be forced to bring bodies into the box and isolate defensive backs in one on one coverage which is when the ball goes over the top and boom, big play.

Best season anyone remember in terms of off season departures?  There have been some big names in the past that have retired from football or transferred.  Pretty good news imo.  If we can get a couple incoming transfers, we could come out on top this off season.  Knock on wood.  

• Upvote 1