SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 FB Recruiting

UNDBIZ

50 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I think they do take UND seriously, but its not like NDSU is a bad school either (as much as we may joke about it on here). I know a lot of very successful people from NDSU. So you can still go get a really good education and play for a perennial powerhouse; I can't argue with their decision. 

it has been said, to even the playing field UND just needs to win and compete more. Bison have 7 FCS championships; UND has 1 FCS playoff appears; The math isn't all that difficult on this one.

UND needs to compete against NDSU and get a win, that will help. But more importantly, UND needs to compete against their whole field of competition, have a winning season and not lose in the first round of the playoffs.

NDSU will continue to out recruit UND, as they out recruit most schools until this happens.

I wasn't insinuating NDSU was a bad school, just that each school has some different offerings and that most players at this level should have educational opportunities high on their list of priorities and we should fit the bill for some of them.  

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I wasn't insinuating NDSU was a bad school, just that each school has some different offerings and that most players at this level should have educational opportunities high on their list of priorities and we should fit the bill for some of them.  

Let’s be real, for the most part, neither school is good. They have a couple specialties but they’re no UC Davis.

14 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Probably worth mentioning that at the end of June, UND picked up a commitment from a different running back out of Minnesota that was the was the exact same size as this kid. No inside info on this one but not sure how hard UND was still in pursuit of a running back of the exact same size/skill set.

You are most likely right on in this observation. Any school that gets a kid with one D1 offer to commit would tell a recruit that is the best recruit in the same state at the same position that all of the regional D1 schools want "sorry, we no longer need you".  

8 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

You are most likely right on in this observation. Any school that gets a kid with one D1 offer to commit would tell a recruit that is the best recruit in the same state at the same position that all of the regional D1 schools want "sorry, we no longer need you".  

Who knows if jdub's theory is right or not( if they were still pursuing him), but honestly most schools probably only target a certain number at each position give or take in each class.  Obviously you don't just offer your top rated recruit at each position and wait until he commits somewhere.  You somewhat flock shoot, maybe you offer your top 5 at the position, obviously you want #1 to commit, but if #4-5 commits and you haven't heard anything from #1, you're probably gonna take the commitment from the guy who wants to be here and maybe that means you don't have room for a scholarship for that #1 guy anymore.  Sure if #1 calls and says he'd come, but it means you have to tell the current commit he's got no scholly offer you surely could, but I'd rather recruit with integrity where if you commit to an offer, we'll stand by it.  Regardless still a very nice get for NDSU. Congrats, see you Sept. 7th.

On 8/9/2019 at 7:45 AM, tnt said:

But they should take the school seriously and what it has to offer.  Need to get a few high end guys that have nice educational fits with UND, then hopefully start to turn the tides with them, but yes, a win would do wonders to even the playing field a bit more on the possibilities of winning championships. 

The "educational fit with UND" mantra is propaganda. It has been said for years in order to try offset what NDSU has built but to no avail. It hasn't worked and won't work by itself to turn the tide. Sure, recruit kids that want to be pilots and lawyers and doctors, but that alone won't turnaround the UND football program.

UND needs better players via recruiting tactics and facilities and then better coaching. The High Performance Center was certainly a huge boost to facilities but now the football program needs phase II. Coaching potentially was upgraded with Danny Freund to OC. We will see come September 7th just how improved the UND football program really is. "Educational fits" won't have anything to do with it, I'm afraid. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2019 at 8:18 AM, Stockdamhockey said:

Of course it will. Best way to make the case is to beat the Bison. UND has played the Bison once in their run. 34-9 in 2015. Lopsided is a good observation, but you do realize its been lopsided against most of the FCS field. 7 of 8 national titles. Never been done at any level of football. Not an excuse, but important to remember. Unprecedented. The proximity to Fargo can only be used for one argument: It can be done in North Dakota. The Bison have proven that.

Also important to note that a football program has approximately 100 members at any given time. 63 full scholarship equivalents in FCS. There are a LOT of great football players out there. Yes, the Bison are getting who they want right now, but it doesn't mean they have EVERY game changer at EVERY position.

Prospects DO take UND seriously. The only thing in your statement I disagree with. School DOES have role at times, but UND over NDSU on that is somewhat thin. (Sorry UND grads.) Biggest factor is head-to-head. From now until "whenever" UND v. NDSU will happen every year. Best scenario to change the dynamic.

Tempting to view everything UND does with Bison glasses since they have become the standard. But that is dangerous as well. We all need to step back and remember the drought v. Bison in the 80's and 90's. Different time, different standard, but still relevant. It will not happen overnight, but a win v. Bison WILL happen. And the momentum it builds will feel great.

Prospects DO take UND seriously, I agree, but not after NDSU offers them. Hence UND vs NDSU offers ...

Ultimately, UND needs to start beating NDSU head-to-head on the football field before anything really changes. 

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Prospects DO take UND seriously, I agree, but not after NDSU offers them. Hence UND vs NDSU offers ...

Ultimately, UND needs to start beating NDSU head-to-head on the football field before anything really changes. 

NDSU just needs to lose to ANYONE, really.  They are on a pedestal and any loss that they have would help.  But they don't lose. 

17 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Or the kid told them 5 months ago he wasn't interested and they quickly moved on.  

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The "educational fit with UND" mantra is propaganda. It has been said for years in order to try offset what NDSU has built but to no avail. It hasn't worked and won't work by itself to turn the tide. Sure, recruit kids that want to be pilots and lawyers and doctors, but that alone won't turnaround the UND football program.

UND needs better players via recruiting tactics and facilities and then better coaching. The High Performance Center was certainly a huge boost to facilities but now the football program needs phase II. Coaching potentially was upgraded with Danny Freund to OC. We will see come September 7th just how improved the UND football program really is. "Educational fits" won't have anything to do with it, I'm afraid. 

You are correct in stating the academic factors with respect to recruiting won’t turn the program around but you are wrong in stating it is only propaganda and not a factor. Over the years we have lost some kids to the Bison who were interested in Pharmacy or Agriculture.  We have won recruiting battles because we have Physical Therapy and other health sciences as well as Aviation, the presence of our Law School and Medical School excellent offerings across the board in our college of business to name a few. The AC upgraded the business offerings and added nursing partly because they lost some key recruits to other schools. There are still outstanding athletes out there who along with their parents will weigh the academic opportunities heavily. Anyone who has been involved in recruiting athletes understands this. It’s crazy what kids and their families will factor into the equation. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND has an advantage onkKids that want to go into aviation, which is not terribly common. Kids that want to be doctors or lawyers can go to NDSU just as well as UND.  I have two cousins, one a lawyer and one a doctor, that received their undergrad degrees from NDSU in the last 10 years and were accepted into every Med School and Law School they applied to. They graduated from Law and Med school just as fast as kids in their class that started at UND. 

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

UND has an advantage onkKids that want to go into aviation, which is not terribly common. Kids that want to be doctors or lawyers can go to NDSU just as well as UND.  I have two cousins, one a lawyer and one a doctor, that received their undergrad degrees from NDSU in the last 10 years and were accepted into every Med School and Law School they applied to. They graduated from Law and Med school just as fast as kids in their class that started at UND. 

Anyone can get into med school or law school if you have a stellar undergrad resume. Hell you can even go to Minot State if needed. I think the point is you don’t need to at the top of your class to get into UND med or especially law school, but you will get some preference playing for UND. UND has a great med school but there are some much more prestigious programs I would rather attend.

12 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Anyone can get into med school or law school if you have a stellar undergrad resume. Hell you can even go to Minot State if needed. I think the point is you don’t need to at the top of your class to get into UND med or especially law school, but you will get some preference playing for UND. UND has a great med school but there are some much more prestigious programs I would rather attend.

Having attended both UND and Mayo Medical Schools I can tell you the University of North Dakota School of Medicine is every bit as good as your so called “prestigious” programs. “Even go to Minot State”???  You might be surprised to know that could be an advantage to a kid who wishes to attend a so called “prestigious “ medical school. Many of them try to build diversity into their medical school classes. I wouldn’t waste my money on a private college or university for a pre-med program. The key is good MCAT scores, good grades and a resume showing leadership, compassion for others, critical thinking skills and experiences showing you can work with others and handle pressure. The University of North Dakota has an excellent academic reputation among other medical schools around the country. An athlete can complete his pre-med requirements at any accredited college or university and get accepted to medical schools across the country, but all else being equal, there are advantages to a pre-med student from UND. 

I have posted this before... I started in nursing as a candi-striper in May 1969. EVERY nurse and doctor I have worked with from UND has been stellar... professional, spot in with diagnosis, and a tremendous work ethic. That was long before I became a Sioux fan... 

UND has a lot to be proud of!!!

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, iramurphy said:

You are correct in stating the academic factors with respect to recruiting won’t turn the program around but you are wrong in stating it is only propaganda and not a factor. Over the years we have lost some kids to the Bison who were interested in Pharmacy or Agriculture.  We have won recruiting battles because we have Physical Therapy and other health sciences as well as Aviation, the presence of our Law School and Medical School excellent offerings across the board in our college of business to name a few. The AC upgraded the business offerings and added nursing partly because they lost some key recruits to other schools. There are still outstanding athletes out there who along with their parents will weigh the academic opportunities heavily. Anyone who has been involved in recruiting athletes understands this. It’s crazy what kids and their families will factor into the equation. 

On this website, it doesn't take much for "educational fits" to quickly become propaganda as to how UND will soon dethrone NDSU.

As someone who has three degrees from UND, I understand what UND has to offer academically and certainly appreciate the advantages it provides for UND in recruiting prospective student-athletes. With that said, it is largely a non-factor competitively in major sports like football and basketball. Sure, I can agree with you that academic offerings are a factor, but UND will not win an FCS national championship by going on a national search for aspiring pilots, lawyers, doctors, physical therapists, and nurses.

UND needs to recruit and land better players, mainly, and better facilities will aid in that. Coaching and player development (strength and conditioning) is the other major factor; i.e., getting the most out of what you have. I am hoping Coach Freund as OC can help out UND football with this, but that may be wishful thinking. Have to wait until Game Day to assess that. 

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

On this website, it doesn't take much for "educational fits" to quickly become propaganda as to how UND will soon dethrone NDSU.

As someone who has three degrees from UND, I understand what UND has to offer academically and certainly appreciate the advantages it provides for UND in recruiting prospective student-athletes. With that said, it is largely a non-factor competitively in major sports like football and basketball. Sure, I can agree with you that academic offerings are a factor, but UND will not win an FCS national championship by going on a national search for aspiring pilots, lawyers, doctors, physical therapists, and nurses.

UND needs to recruit and land better players, mainly, and better facilities will aid in that. Coaching and player development (strength and conditioning) is the other major factor; i.e., getting the most out of what you have. 

Are you saying we need to “supplement” our strength and conditioning program?

• Upvote 2

When you have been coaching a program for 5-6 years, a lot of recruiting is selling your "brand".  "Come here and this is what we are about and here is how we see you fitting in."  This is why, in addition to his mind-numbing play calling it was so damaging to keep Rudolf for so long.  What do you think a top recruit saw in our offense?  I know we are in a new era now, but recruiting wise it feels like starting over.  Bubba's coaching is in my opinion ultra conservative.  This is only a fun style when you are the ones doing the face-smashing.  I like what I have been seeing lately, but establishing what UND Football is about is vital for our future.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND needs to recruit and land better players, mainly, and better facilities will aid in that. Coaching and player development (strength and conditioning) is the other major factor; i.e., getting the most out of what you have. I am hoping Coach Freund as OC can help out UND football with this, but that may be wishful thinking. Have to wait until Game Day to assess that. 

Isn’t that kind of what I had said?  The academic issue is indeed a factor but isn’t what will turn the program. When I was involved with recruiting, you pay attention to every detail. There are multiple factors, all important. Who the kids coaches are and where are their loyalties?  Who the kids parents and relatives are and where are their loyalties if any?  Do they have a girlfriend and where is she going to school?  Did the kid have teammates or former teammates being recruited or playing somewhere?  What is their GPA and ACT or SAT scores. What are their other sports/hobbies/interests. Did a friend or relative have a bad experience at your school or great experience elsewhere. What do parents do for a living?  Are parents divorced and if so, where are they and what are their expectations for the kid?  What position does the kid play and what position does he want to play?  Which players on your team are best player hosts for the kid?  Who is best for the faculty visits?  Which coaches on your staff should be involved in the recruiting process?  You leave no stone unturned. You can’t do anything about what other schools do or have done. You sell your program on the opportunities for the kids athletic future but also on the culture and philosophy of your team and staff. You sell them on the academic opportunities and social opportunities for growth and success. You also have to recruit the parents or key family members and know who the decision maker in the family is. You do this for every recruit every time. It’s hard work, but you leave “no stone unturned.  (You do the same thing recruiting for your company or business to recruit key employees).  We as alumni and fans have the responsibility to provide the coaches and athletes the resources necessary for success. If we do that I will take my chances on winning my share of recruiting.  I don’t worry about what the Bison or anyone else is doing cuz there is nothing I can do about other programs. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Isn’t that kind of what I had said?  The academic issue is indeed a factor but isn’t what will turn the program. When I was involved with recruiting, you pay attention to every detail. There are multiple factors, all important. Who the kids coaches are and where are their loyalties?  Who the kids parents and relatives are and where are their loyalties if any?  Do they have a girlfriend and where is she going to school?  Did the kid have teammates or former teammates being recruited or playing somewhere?  What is their GPA and ACT or SAT scores. What are their other sports/hobbies/interests. Did a friend or relative have a bad experience at your school or great experience elsewhere. What do parents do for a living?  Are parents divorced and if so, where are they and what are their expectations for the kid?  What position does the kid play and what position does he want to play?  Which players on your team are best player hosts for the kid?  Who is best for the faculty visits?  Which coaches on your staff should be involved in the recruiting process?  You leave no stone unturned. You can’t do anything about what other schools do or have done. You sell your program on the opportunities for the kids athletic future but also on the culture and philosophy of your team and staff. You sell them on the academic opportunities and social opportunities for growth and success. You also have to recruit the parents or key family members and know who the decision maker in the family is. You do this for every recruit every time. It’s hard work, but you leave “no stone unturned.  (You do the same thing recruiting for your company or business to recruit key employees).  We as alumni and fans have the responsibility to provide the coaches and athletes the resources necessary for success. If we do that I will take my chances on winning my share of recruiting.  I don’t worry about what the Bison or anyone else is doing cuz there is nothing I can do about other programs. 

Paying attention to the details is important, no doubt. But winning, fancy facilities and positive relationships with the coaches seem to go the furthest.  Being a winning program is obviously #1. Kids want to win and have fun doing it. 

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Paying attention to the details is important, no doubt. But winning, fancy facilities and positive relationships with the coaches seem to go the furthest.  Being a winning program is obviously #1. Kids want to win and have fun doing it. 

To become a winning program you need to recruit players who are good enough to get your program turned around. The formula I outlined is a way to get kids and their parents interested in your program and from their the relationships must develop and grow. It doesn’t just happen. Of course a winning program is at the top of the list for most kids. If you don’t believe in yourself and your program and the opportunity for success you shouldn’t be recruiting. 

On 8/10/2019 at 10:48 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

You can get in without that too.

Example A = Johnboynd7. My GPA was well under 3.0 lmaooooo

To have a great football team a university needs a great college of football.  Advantages would include the programs funding, history and traditions.  National presence with a pipeline into the NFL.  History of great coaching and winning.  Facilities including stadium. Talent already on the team. Fan support and status of sport on campus and in community.  Communities social opportunities.  Schedule.  From there things like educational opportunities etc might help an athlete distinguish between their top choices.

• Upvote 1