SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 FB Recruiting

UNDBIZ

On 4/29/2019 at 10:54 PM, UND Fan said:

Another five:

QB Cole Wisniewski, 6'3", 190, Sparta (Sparta), WI  Has offers from NIU, SDSU & USD 

RB Rashad Lampkin, 5'9“, 190, Brookfield (Central), WI  (3 Star - 247)  Has offer from USD

WR/SS Anthony Sambucci, 6'1”, 175, Lemont (Lemont), IL

LB Cody Lindenberg, 6'2“, 200, 4.7, Anoka (Anoka), MN  Has offers from UNI and USD

S AJ Scaife, 6'4", 200, Roseville (Roseville), MN  Has DII offer

Lampkin will play at IL St.

37 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

This is not wrong. 

"First commit" might be a marginal guy looking to take whatever shows up, and he doesn't pan out and wasn't worth the offer.  
"First commit" might be a high end guy overlooked (like that LB that ended up starting at Wisconsin) that we may have outkicked our coverage on. 

That said, first commit is commit by the player, not the UND staff.

So, to point, tracking "last commit" or "fourth commit" or "second guy to commit on a Tuesday" are each probably just as valuable as "first commit" from an analytics point of view. 

I would hope we're not making early offers to "marginal guys looking to take whatever shows up."

5 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Update to a list of our first commit each year under Bubba for future tracking:

2014 - Ferguson   - Gone after 1 year
2015 - Grady         - Gone after 1 year
2016 - Secrest      - Never made it
2017 - Larson       - Injury led to a RS year in 2017.  Was a solid contributor with 64 tackles in 11 games in 2018.  Will be a sophomore in 2019.
2018 - Slater         - Never made it
2019 - Lindeman - True freshman season coming up.  Assuming he will RS.
2020 - Klein

I think Grady might still be contemplating a come back ;)

5 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Update to a list of our first commit each year under Bubba for future tracking:

2014 - Ferguson   - Gone after 1 year
2015 - Grady         - Gone after 1 year
2016 - Secrest      - Never made it
2017 - Larson       - Injury led to a RS year in 2017.  Was a solid contributor with 64 tackles in 11 games in 2018.  Will be a sophomore in 2019.
2018 - Slater         - Never made it
2019 - Lindeman - True freshman season coming up.  Assuming he will RS.
2020 - Klein

I like the analysis, fresh thought.  Does it mean anything......perhaps a little in that we seem a little snake bitten regardless of it's the 1st commit, last commit, JUCO, or latest FBS dud.  We've had tribal sweat tents, drug dealers, Canadian snow flakes, JUCO guys not even arriving in GF, depression, jonny jumpers, adderall, broken hearts missing girl friends, elevated number of injuries, pot smokers(pot more important than FB), etc.  We need to catch a frickin break and have that knock out recruiting class!!

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, SooToo said:

I would hope we're not making early offers to "marginal guys looking to take whatever shows up."

Say there are 12 outstanding offers; the first ten are guys we really want, the remaining two are guys who are second choices or back-up plans.

One of those last two offers jumps at it and becomes first commit and there's the scenario. 

16 hours ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Humm. Are you confusing the NFL draft with college football recruiting? "First commit " does not mean highest talent, priority. Not sure what any of this means. Are you going to give us the history of the last commits too?

Nope, just an interesting tidbit showing how unlucky we've been.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I like the analysis, fresh thought.  Does it mean anything......perhaps a little in that we seem a little snake bitten regardless of it's the 1st commit, last commit, JUCO, or latest FBS dud.  We've had tribal sweat tents, drug dealers, Canadian snow flakes, JUCO guys not even arriving in GF, depression, jonny jumpers, adderall, broken hearts missing girl friends, elevated number of injuries, pot smokers(pot more important than FB), etc.  We need to catch a frickin break and have that knock out recruiting class!!

Welcome to the world of 18-22 year olds. Real life raises its ugly head. These guys are more than just jerseys on the field on Saturday performing for our enjoyment.

7 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Welcome to the world of 18-22 year olds. Real life raises its ugly head. These guys are more than just jerseys on the field on Saturday performing for our enjoyment.

And to be fair for it's been a few bad apples per year but 20+ good kids!!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

he was the top target coming into camp season but my source tells me that changed-didn't perform as well as hoped.  UND will be alright.  

Same.  Asked after camp about it and was told the same thing.

27 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Good to know. QB from out east #1 now?

Not 100% sure - with the offer I can assume they like him quite a bit, but I think they're going to square in on a couple targets during the season and that's where we'll end up finding our QB this cycle.