SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 FB Recruiting

UNDBIZ

On 6/9/2019 at 12:06 AM, UND Fan said:

Another recent offer - most everyone in the conference is after this kid: 

CB Stefan Black, 6'1“, 165, 4.5, Blue Springs (Blue Springs), MO Has offers from NDSU, SDSU, Army, Air Force, UNI, USD, EIU, WIU Mo St & SIU

I may have noted this before - Black has verballed to Air Force.

Detroit Lakes RB Isaiah Thompson had 14 carries for 275yds and 4 TD’s  and a 35 yd TD pass in less than 2 quarters tonight against Pequot Lakes. 2 time State Wrestling Champion at 180lbs. Patient runner, sets up blocks, breaks tackles, great  balance, very quick. 

9 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Detroit Lakes RB Isaiah Thompson had 14 carries for 275yds and 4 TD’s  and a 35 yd TD pass in less than 2 quarters tonight against Pequot Lakes. 2 time State Wrestling Champion at 180lbs. Patient runner, sets up blocks, breaks tackles, great  balance, very quick. 

I know we are looking at him but how seriously?  You obviously feel he could contribute for us, correct?

12 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I know we are looking at him but how seriously?  You obviously feel he could contribute for us, correct?

Yes. He hasn’t played more than 1/2 of each of 4 games. He has 44 carries for 612 yds (14 yds/carry) and 9 TDs. In less than 3 years he has 3246 yds on 314 carries (10yds/carry).   Great kid, good student. At least PWO but I would give him a partial. Only drawbacks are he’s only 5’ 9””. His 40 time is probably 4.7. He reminds me of Shannon Burnell.   Stops and starts quickly finds seams in traffic and breaks tackles. Shannon didn’t have great 40 speed either. UND is aware not sure how interested. Max Gunderson is another kid. He’s 6’4” 205lbs still growing. Plays HS QB and safety when needed. I think he can play at UND as SS or LB. Dad played baseball at New Mexico and bison and pro baseball in minors. His Mom played VB for bison. Uncle was 4 yr starter at CB at UND. Aunt played VB at UMD. He is very good HS QB but will be better college player. Still maturing physically. (Same thing I told UND about Ryan Manke, who we got, and Adam Thielen who we passed on).  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Yes. He hasn’t played more than 1/2 of each of 4 games. He has 44 carries for 612 yds (14 yds/carry) and 9 TDs. In less than 3 years he has 3246 yds on 314 carries (10yds/carry).   Great kid, good student. At least PWO but I would give him a partial. Only drawbacks are he’s only 5’ 9””. His 40 time is probably 4.7. He reminds me of Shannon Burnell.   Stops and starts quickly finds seams in traffic and breaks tackles. Shannon didn’t have great 40 speed either. UND is aware not sure how interested. Max Gunderson is another kid. He’s 6’4” 205lbs still growing. Plays HS QB and safety when needed. I think he can play at UND as SS or LB. Dad played baseball at New Mexico and bison and pro baseball in minors. His Mom played VB for bison. Uncle was 4 yr starter at CB at UND. Aunt played VB at UMD. He is very good HS QB but will be better college player. Still maturing physically. (Same thing I told UND about Ryan Manke, who we got, and Adam Thielen who we passed on).  

I agree on Isaiah.  I wasn't sure last year but I think he has gotten a step faster, and with another spring track season he could improve further with speed.  As mentioned, he's a natural at RB, super strong, shifty, really hard to tackle.  He could take college carrys right now at UND and you wouldn't notice a drop off.  Part of that is our backfield has been disappointing, but it speaks to Isaiah being one of those college ready kids.  UND should offer.

Max would like a shot at QB in college, but he won't get to show much in High School.(DL too stubborn running the ball vrs. overmatched opponents) (will cost them in playoffs)  So Max's recruiting will be tricky unless colleges can bring him in after season to throw the ball for more of a college QB look.  (All the coaches know at UND, NDSU, SDSU and on down- Max broke his arm last spring in a hoops alley-opp gone wrong, so no summer camps, which was devastating)  His dad not only played high level baseball, but as a pitcher throwing in the mid 90s MPH in the minors.  I think, QB, TE, and OLB.  I don't know about safety and part of that will be because he will likely be too big for safety.  So Max's recruiting is tricky, but huge upside to a maturing kid, that IRA has a history of identifying.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

I agree on Isaiah.  I wasn't sure last year but I think he has gotten a step faster, and with another spring track season he could improve further with speed.  As mentioned, he's a natural at RB, super strong, shifty, really hard to tackle.  He could take college carrys right now at UND and you wouldn't notice a drop off.  Part of that is our backfield has been disappointing, but it speaks to Isaiah being one of those college ready kids.  UND should offer.

Max would like a shot at QB in college, but he won't get to show much in High School.(DL too stubborn running the ball vrs. overmatched opponents) (will cost them in playoffs)  So Max's recruiting will be tricky unless colleges can bring him in after season to throw the ball for more of a college QB look.  (All the coaches know at UND, NDSU, SDSU and on down- Max broke his arm last spring in a hoops alley-opp gone wrong, so no summer camps, which was devastating)  His dad not only played high level baseball, but as a pitcher throwing in the mid 90s MPH in the minors.  I think, QB, TE, and OLB.  I don't know about safety and part of that will be because he will likely be too big for safety.  So Max's recruiting is tricky, but huge upside to a maturing kid, that IRA has a history of identifying.

I would recruit Max and let him start out as a QB if that is his wish. He has a great upside. If he doesn’t play QB he will start at another position. I told Roger Thomas Max’s uncle would start at CB by the time he was a senior. I was wrong. His uncle started as a freshman. His dad could have played FB at UND or NDSU  

Isaiah can also return kicks and punts.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Big time QB recruiting prospect for UND. He has a ton of potential. Hope he enjoys the ball game today and commits to UND. 

At least he is getting to watch an offense that would be fun to run.  There is no way we'd get him if he was watching Rudy ball today.