SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 FB Recruiting

UNDBIZ

6 minutes ago, shep said:

Giving up on Tommy Schuster already?

Competition on the field will determine who plays. You need to get the players in the program first. One step at a time people. 

But yes, I feel Reid Neal is a better QB prospect. He has the bloodlines and looks good on highlights. The intangibles won’t be apparent until he competes head-to-head and plays for UND, though. 

26 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Danny Freund got a real QB commit for UND! Awesome.

So I like his highlight reel. I also remember liking Schuster's and Boltman's highlight reels. What are you seeing that makes Neal a "real QB?" Genuinely curious.

On 9/21/2019 at 1:48 AM, iramurphy said:

Detroit Lakes RB Isaiah Thompson had 14 carries for 275yds and 4 TD’s  and a 35 yd TD pass in less than 2 quarters tonight against Pequot Lakes. 2 time State Wrestling Champion at 180lbs. Patient runner, sets up blocks, breaks tackles, great  balance, very quick. 

Thompson had another 194 yds on 16 carries and 1 td. Max Gunderson was 6-8 for 97 yds and 1 TD. Max was one of recruits at UND game Sat. He is getting a lot of attention from SDSU and multiple D2 schools. I would project him as a LB, TE, DE or maybe SS. I would let him start college at QB if he prefers. Tough to evaluate as QB because DL doesn’t throw much.  

• Upvote 1

On 10/7/2019 at 6:52 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Danny Freund got a real QB commit for UND! Awesome.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:19 PM, UNDBIZ said:

So I like his highlight reel. I also remember liking Schuster's and Boltman's highlight reels. What are you seeing that makes Neal a "real QB?" Genuinely curious.

Anything?  

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Anything?  

Neal - Athletic QB with size (6’2”) and has the blood lines (brother starts at Vanderbilt of the SEC). Plays against relatively good competition in Indiana. Schuster and Boltmann are a bit on the smaller side and haven’t shown anything to convince me they can throw deep balls (40+ yards) very well. 

Schuster had no DI offers and is a small kid, but he has the intangibles as demonstated in the win versus Sam Houston State. He was a great high school QB in the state of Michigan and his poise was on display vs SHSU.  

Boltmann also limited offers out of high school but very athletic. Just a bit on the smaller side. Turns out his arm talent was lacking but has great wheels which makes him such a great weapon currently at wide out and wildcat QB. 

All in all, Danny Freund has the QB room going the right direction with Schuster and Neal. Prior to Schuster commit this last class, UND under direction of Paul Rudolph was not recruiting the QB position well. There were years they would get no scholarship quarterbacks which is baffling to me. I love how Danny Freund is now emphasizing the QB position in both recruiting and with the offensive philosophy. It will pay dividends for UND. Great teams typically have good to great QB play. 

Really glad the Reid is coming in early to get acclimated to the environment. College is a big adjustment so for a guy to come in early and jump that hurdle now is great. Also gets him familiar with the program.

Sounds like a motivated kid who wants to come in to compete. Given that we are losing some experience QBs this year (not looking for a debate on Kett or Zim here) it will be interesting to see what happens with the competition. You have Schuster, Neal and Grover; I feel like we used to hear some good things about Grover but have not lately, and the fact that Schuster has played over him is somewhat telling (just speculation here).

Ideally, you bring in a decent FBS dropdown or legit JUCO transfer to compete next season. That potential aside, I would be very interested to see a Schuster/Neal competition. Starting a true Freshman would be surprising, but not out of the realm of possibility. Personally I don't care what year the kid is, if he gives us the best chance to win.

I would like to see what Reid can do to add some weight before fall camp. Would it be feasible for him to pack on 20 lbs, with diet and weight training? Don't need him to be a heavyweight, but do want him to be able to hold up.

Regardless, I am glad to see Danny get a guy that he wanted early, rather than someone that may be way down the list. I don't want to slight any of the QBs currently on the roster, or that were previously on the roster, but it has been a while since we have seen a consistently dominant QB performance, so here is to hoping for the best.