SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

9 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Regarding shots on goal and victories:  UND is a statistical outlier...but why?  Is it simply bad luck?  I don't think so.

Are guys not screening goalie?  Not getting the rebounds for the greasy goals?  Is the shot on target?  Is it a shot designed to rebound off the goalie pad so a guy can get the rebound and score?  Is it a hard shot?  Did the player hold on a split second too long so the goalie could get into better position?  Did a guy take a shot instead of passing to the open guy?  etc etc

Part luck, part all of that haha. I'd be interested in a "missed net" stat.

Just now, scpa0305 said:

We have multiple current players and several commits that need a wake up call.

Pulling an offer from a commit is fine. I'm all for that if they are showing regression. Still not sure I agree with it for current players. I'm all for a wake up call, for sure. 

15 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I also feel like the business suits have been ruined. Reasoning:

First off, having to pull those out against a 50th ranked team was comical to me. It honestly took the seriousness away from the jerseys and from this team having to use them against such a lowly opponent in a joke of a rink. Was it really that tough of an opponent and in that hostile of an atmosphere?! What a waste of a usage. I can’t believe they even made the trip. Second off, despite the saddest time and place to feel the need to use the suits...they LOST in them. To CANSIUS!!

The UND hockey culture is slipping away. Check out the down fall of Maine hockey, it’s oddly similar to what’s happening now.  

They used to mean a W. Now they're a joke.

• Upvote 1

I would argue also that if they were going to come out against Canisius, it should have been Friday to let the guys know that they couldn't come out like they did, and that losing against them would absolutely crush the Pairwise for us.   

It felt like Canisius played rope-a-dope this weekend with us. They’d bend but not break and then would pounce and create odd man rushes when our D men were either out of position or if all 5 of our guys were gassed and couldn’t get back fast enough to back check. Appears to have been a good coaching strategy by Coach Large. 

24 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Part luck, part all of that haha. I'd be interested in a "missed net" stat.

I've always said that a barely missed net/pipe/crossbar was probably a pretty damn good shot that beat the goalie or was very close to going in, instead of a logo killer.  Remember, pipes don't count as a SOG.

Just now, ChrisUND1 said:

I've always said that a barely missed net/pipe/crossbar was probably a pretty damn good shot that beat the goalie or was very close to going in, instead of a logo killer.  Remember, pipes don't count as a SOG.

For sure. We've had a lot of pipes this year, too. I feel like we had at least 5 this weekend. This would make our Corsi numbers even more annoying. 

39 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I've wrestled with this one before, too. It's such a hard line to balance. Say we yank a couple under performing schollies and a player or two leaves, what does that say to our recruits? Sure, it could mean that we don't accept under performance, but it's also a commentary that if you don't produce, you're gone. This could cause pause to good recruits. 

It sucks that a guy like Donavan is leaving because he knows he doesn't have a spot, next year. But, yanking schollies doesn't feel like the best for our program long term.

I get where you're coming from, but it seems like if you're a kid who is confident he can come in and provide what the coaches are looking for, then it shouldn't be an issue.  No one is guaranteed anything.  It shouldn't be expected that you get a 4 yr ride to half ass it and not contribute positively to the team.  It would certainly make some of the current roster take note if they know their spot is earned and not given.

Hey SS Dipshits:

This thread clearly needs some adult thinking and perspective, so Taz is happy to oblige.  Many of you creampuffs appear to be personally offended by UND's recent struggles, somehow expecting to be assuaged your strife as the most noble of professions:  the disappointed, untalented fan.  Yes.  Tough to sit and watch others work, try, and at times fail at a high competitive level while you shart your undies from too much Juul fruit medley and creme brulee vape.  Why not work on improving your own self-esteem rather than expecting a college athlete to do it for you?

Of course, I'm a big Hakstol fan, and Blais before that, and Gasparini...  you get the picture.  But, I also dig me some coach Brad Berry big time.  Let's just remind ourselves what the relatively short Berry Era has produced:

• 2016:  Natty #8.  The Frozen Four performance solidifies he can coach at a high level, big games, big talent.  He also showed such caring and humility afterwards to members of his fan base back home that sadly many will never know just how nice and genuine a person he is.
  • 2016:  UND 4, BC 3 at Madison Square Garden:  Epic awesomeness--  big stage, big exposure.  Equals 1 National Title in Taz' book of sweet-ass Sioux memories.  Thank you, Sir.  May we have another?
  • 2018:  UND 3, UofM 1.  Berry and his team say "Yes, you may have another!" and it was so, so delicious .  What a great time for those who actually nutted up and traveled there.  A coaching and execution performance well deserving of our respect.  Not quite Natty level, but pretty darn close.

So, spew away into your keyboards.  I'm going to continue to enjoy all of this epic winning with all of my true Sioux faithful traveling to exotic locale, draining local bars of their inventory, and furthering the greatness that is North Dakota.  Go Sioux!!

taz

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I've wrestled with this one before, too. It's such a hard line to balance. Say we yank a couple under performing schollies and a player or two leaves, what does that say to our recruits? Sure, it could mean that we don't accept under performance, but it's also a commentary that if you don't produce, you're gone. This could cause pause to good recruits. 

It sucks that a guy like Donavan is leaving because he knows he doesn't have a spot, next year. But, yanking schollies doesn't feel like the best for our program long term.

It’s happened plenty in the past. Why should it change now? It doesn’t seem to be working to be nice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, franchise said:

I get where you're coming from, but it seems like if you're a kid who is confident he can come in and provide what the coaches are looking for, then it shouldn't be an issue.  No one is guaranteed anything.  It shouldn't be expected that you get a 4 yr ride to half ass it and not contribute positively to the team.  It would certainly make some of the current roster take note if they know their spot is earned and not given.

It shouldn't be, but I'm guessing from a perspective that a kid maybe is really good and thinks "Man, if I slump, I'm gone", wouldn't be too appealing. Of course, it could work the other way and it could motivate them. Just thinking out loud.

20 minutes ago, Taz Boy said:

Hey SS Dipshits:

Good start.

Tough to sit and watch others work, try, and at times fail at a high competitive level while you shart your undies from too much Juul fruit medley and creme brulee vape.

Uh, I smoke originally, buddy.

So, spew away into your keyboards.  I'm going to continue to enjoy all of this epic winning with all of my true Sioux faithful traveling to exotic locale, draining local bars of their inventory, and furthering the greatness that is North Dakota.  Go Sioux!!

la-shia-labeouf-video-performance-piece-20141021.jpg

Well, if nothing else, that was pretty dang funny and SiouxSports could use a little funny, these days! :D

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

It felt like Canisius played rope-a-dope this weekend with us. They’d bend but not break and then would pounce and create odd man rushes when our D men were either out of position or if all 5 of our guys were gassed and couldn’t get back fast enough to back check. Appears to have been a good coaching strategy by Coach Large. 

Is Coach Large available to move out west?

40 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

So, you get to cherry pick positive memories, and then in the same breath chastise (and name-call) those who choose to cherry pick their critiques? Got it.

Gotta love the hypocrisy of the apologists. What they say counts because they're true faithful fans while those who dare share concerns about the program are "dipshits." :silly:

I don't find the apologists here nearly as annoying as the UND hockey media circlejerk though. Wonder how much it pained Brad to post that Weekend Rewind thoughts.

3 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Gotta love the hypocrisy of the apologists. What they say counts because they're true faithful fans while those who dare share concerns about the program are "dipshits." :silly:

I don't find the apologists here nearly as annoying as the UND hockey media circlejerk though. Wonder how much it pained Brad to post that Weekend Rewind thoughts.

C'mon! That was funny! It's been a really crappy season and this weekend really frickin' sucked. Let's just take some levity. 

44 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Completely fair. I'm still uneasy about it. But, at this point, it might not be a terrible idea. Idk.

Feelings are for Highschool sports. It sucks but there’s no room for dead weight in college sports. You earn your scholarship or are replaced with someone who will get the job done. It’s the cold reality of D1 college sports.