SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I disagree. I've noted why previously. But, it's fine, I don't want to rehash. It's all good.

Have seen most of the home games for the past 25 years.  It has been my observation that the Sioux have a difficult time playing against any team that pack it in.  This defense is used by many teams/even those in the NCHC

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Disgraceful? Sure, but we have a stinker series every year. Fire able, like is being talked about now? Absolutely not.

Anyone who would be calling for Bubbs head on the on the backs of a natty and two tournament appearances is not stable.  

We've already had 3 awful series so far.  I don't think anyone truly believes he's getting fired midseason, but say we win 4 more games the rest of the year...then is it fair to call for a change?

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Disgraceful? Sure, but we have a stinker series every year. Fire able, like is being talked about now? Absolutely not.

Anyone who would be calling for Bubbs head on the on the backs of a natty and two tournament appearances is not stable.  

"A stinker series"....implies that the team has only had one stinker series this season which is delusional.  They needed OT and a pile of power plays to beat Manitoba at home......a loss and a tie against Bemidji (where UND mustered 2 total goals)....swept at home by Western Michigan (2 total goals scored).....and swept by Canisius (say that out loud and let it sink in.....once again scoring 2 total goals in the series).  Losing is bad enough but the losses aren't even close to entertaining.  But keep telling yourself there's only been one clunker series, the UND administration appreciates your willingness to accept mediocrity 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

Have seen most of the home games for the past 25 years.  It has been my observation that the Sioux have a difficult time playing against any team that pack it in.  This defense is used by many teams/even those in the NCHC

I restated this. Sorry for the confusion. I agree with you.

3 minutes ago, franchise said:

We've already had 3 awful series so far.  I don't think anyone truly believes he's getting fired midseason, but say we win 4 more games the rest of the year...then is it fair to call for a change?

I think it'd absolutely be fair to discuss it.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

"A stinker series"....implies that the team has only had one stinker series this season which is delusional.  They needed OT and a pile of power plays to beat Manitoba at home......a loss and a tie against Bemidji (where UND mustered 2 total goals)....swept at home by Western Michigan (2 total goals scored).....and swept by Canisius (say that out loud and let it sink in.....once again scoring 2 total goals in the series).  Losing is bad enough but the losses aren't even close to entertaining.  But keep telling yourself there's only been one clunker series, the UND administration appreciates your willingness to accept mediocrity 

"Say it out loud, let that sink in".... yeah, we get it. Last weekend sucked.

Ok, so what about wins against good/great teams? You have to take the good with the bad and most here aren't. Again, some keep picking things out in small doses and saying things. I'll 100% stand by what I said.... Jost stays, we win one more game and this conversation is not happening. I'm asking for people to just take pause and think instead of react. I'll even be willing to give you three said weekends... but, anyone who'd call for Bubbs head at that point is still unstable.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I was teasing (partially :) ).  I’m sick of hearing what the other team did to defeat us.  That team was terrible, numbers don’t lie.  They should have never been able to rope a dope us.  It seems as though many teams are able to rope a dope is this year.

I hear ya. I was merely pointing out what I observed, not making any judgements about it. Trust me, it was tough to watch! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Do people realize last year’s team was literally in the same place as the 2013-14 team that made a run to the frozen four? They just had an unprecedented amount of upsets for auto bids knock them out. Also, we handled UMD in a ‘must win’ game for both teams at the time it was played. We went home, UMD won it all. So to act like last year was a massive coaching failure is flat out wrong.

The ‘Fire <insert current UND coach> gets old after every bad series. Hak, who many on this board want to lure back here ironically, would have been fired 10 times a year if this board had it’s way. Some users are gonna need surgery with the amount and intensity of knee jerk reactions they have. Is there a point where a coach should be considered to be past their useful life? Absolutely... but Berry isn’t even close halfway through a season.

I’ll be showing up this weekend and next in Omaha ready to cheer and get this team back on track to make the NCAAs. Hope this wasn’t too optimistic for some of ya.

Some of these calls to fire the head coach are a little crazy. After the Frozen Four in Boston, I was invited on Jarod Thomas' radio show to make an argument why Hakstol shouldn't be fired (if after 3-5 years he hadn't won a title). Lucky for Hak, he went on to coach the Flyers and didn't put up with the constant fire Dave Hakstol calls from some of our fans. One time, during a Final Five, Jess Myers came up to me asked me if the fans that wanted Dave Hakstol fired were serious. I said, "they are." He shook his head and said, "wow." 

11 minutes ago, Goon said:

Some of these calls to fire the head coach are a little crazy. After the Frozen Four in Boston, I was invited on Jarod Thomas' radio show to make an argument why Hakstol shouldn't be fired (if after 3-5 years he hadn't won a title). Lucky for Hak, he went on to coach the Flyers and didn't put up with the constant fire Dave Hakstol calls from some of our fans. One time, during a Final Five, Jess Myers came up to me asked me if the fans that wanted Dave Hakstol fired were serious. I said, "they are." He shook his head and said, "wow." 

Just because someone wants Berry fired doesn't mean they wanted Hak fired and vice versa.  I am very down on Berry at the moment, but don't think he should be fired mid-season.  At no time did I state Hakstol should be fired to my knowledge.  

Speaking for a number of people here, just because someone is being hard on Berry and the program right now doesn't equate to wanting him fired.  The actual number of people saying Berry should be fired is probably a lot lower than the "protectors" like you are saying.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

Just because someone wants Berry fired doesn't mean they wanted Hak fired and vice versa.  I am very down on Berry at the moment, but don't think he should be fired mid-season.  At no time did I state Hakstol should be fired to my knowledge.  

Speaking for a number of people here, just because someone is being hard on Berry and the program right now doesn't equate to wanting him fired.  The actual number of people saying Berry should be fired is probably a lot lower than the "protectors" like you are saying.  

Did you go on Twitter last Saturday night? There was a lot of fire Berry Tweets. Fans of other programs were actually laughing at the UND fans that want Berry gone. I would let the season play out and see how it goes. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Goon said:

Did you go on Twitter last Saturday night? There was a lot of fire Berry Tweets. Fans of other programs were actually laughing at the UND fans that want Berry gone. I would let the season play out and see how it goes. 

That's exactly what I said days ago...Berry should get to the end of the year.  If things don't improve, or get worse, his job should scrutinized and weighed against potential replacements.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Fans of other programs were actually laughing at the UND fans that want Berry gone.

If I were a fan of another program, I wouldn't be laughing at UND fans, I'd be laughing at the play of the team and how offensively challenged they are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goon said:

I don't think Berry should get axed right now. But anyone who thinks everything is just fine the way it is also wrong. This program has regressed since hanging #8 and it is a trend, whether we want to talk about it or not.

16 hours ago, Big A HG said:

I guess I would ask this.  In the world of sports fans, how big of a difference is it really between fans who are filling message boards with statements to the effect that the coach can't coach, the coach can't recruit, the coach isn't hard enough on his players, the coach teaches a style that turns good recruits into bad players, etc... (all basic allegations made on this board) and a fan who types "coach must be fired."  When someone repeatedly makes the first set of accusations, isn't the demand he be fired kind of implied?

I don't come to this board often enough to name names with 100% certainty, but I can tell you that there are a handful of posters here who were the most strident about Hak having to go because he couldn't get us over the hump and win the championship, then were the first ones in here saying, "see, I told you so.  I told you we needed someone like Brad Berry to get this program it's next championship" and are now among the most critical of the job Berry is doing.

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I guess I would ask this.  In the world of sports fans, how big of a difference is it really between fans who are filling message boards with statements to the effect that the coach can't coach, the coach can't recruit, the coach isn't hard enough on his players, the coach teaches a style that turns good recruits into bad players, etc... (all basic allegations made on this board) and a fan who types "coach must be fired."  When someone repeatedly makes the first set of accusations, isn't the demand he be fired kind of implied?

I don't come to this board often enough to name names with 100% certainty, but I can tell you that there are a handful of posters here who were the most strident about Hak having to go because he couldn't get us over the hump and win the championship, then were the first ones in here saying, "see, I told you so.  I told you we needed someone like Brad Berry to get this program it's next championship" and are now among the most critical of the job Berry is doing.

Good points, and most of it is accurate.

I would ask, when are you allowed to constructively criticize then?  There has obviously been a short (2.5 year), but sharp, downward trend in the level of play (specifically around the offensive side of the puck).  Also, while we have some nice recruits coming in next year and some the year after, I wouldn't necessarily say we are lighting the world on fire as it relates to recruits like we used too. I guess I am comparing us to the traditional college hockey powers.  I am interested in Pinto, Halliday sure seems like he may be a blue chip, Sanderson/Kleven sure seem like they could be developing into something in the blue chip area.  Don't get me wrong, I am intrigued with the collection of players we have coming in the next few years and recruiting seems to be getting better than the past two years but I am not absolutely blown away either.  And that's fine.  Time will tell how these kids continue to develop.  I do think we'll need to turn the level of play around here to continue to win those recruiting battles.  I still think we don't have an '03 commit, which again, is fine as they're young but there are a ton of 03's off the board already.  In summary, I do think it's fair to start wondering where everything is going.  Hopefully things turn around a bit here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Good points, and most of it is accurate.

I would ask, when are you allowed to constructively criticize then?  There has obviously been a short (2.5 year), but sharp, downward trend in the level of play (specifically around the offensive side of the puck).  Also, while we have some nice recruits coming in next year and some the year after, I wouldn't necessarily say we are lighting the world on fire as it relates to recruits like we used too. I guess I am comparing us to the traditional college hockey powers.  I am interested in Pinto, Halliday sure seems like he may be a blue chip, Sanderson/Kleven sure seem like they could be developing into something in the blue chip area.  Don't get me wrong, I am intrigued with the collection of players we have coming in the next few years and recruiting seems to be getting better than the past two years but I am not absolutely blown away either.  And that's fine.  Time will tell how these kids continue to develop.  I do think we'll need to turn the level of play around here to continue to win those recruiting battles.  I still think we don't have an '03 commit, which again, is fine as they're young but there are a ton of 03's off the board already.  In summary, I do think it's fair to start wondering where everything is going.  Hopefully things turn around a bit here.

The issue here isn't what we are allowed, or not allowed to do.  Everyone is allowed to offer their opinions and criticism.  My efforts have been to try to get people to think rationally about what they are writing.

Let's not kid ourselves.  What we post here is not constructive criticism.  Constructive criticism necessarily needs to be an interactive process involving feedback from the criticized.  It also needs to have certain specifics that pretty much never show up in any posts around here.  Typically you would point out the errors or deficiencies in the performance, using specifics, then give examples of how that performance needs or can be changed to cause improvement.

People write here that Berry and the staff are not recruiting well enough.  Ok.  So where is the constructive criticism?  What exactly should they be doing differently?  How should their approach differ?  Should they change where they recruit?  Should they change what they say to the kids?  Just complaining that we don't get high end recruits like we used to or like other schools do is not constructive criticism.

The same with the complaints that the coaching staff's style of play that is taught to the players turns scoring players at the junior level into non-scoring players at the college level.  Well, what precisely are the coaches doing incorrectly, and why?  What needs to be taught differently, and how will that change the performance of the team?

• Upvote 2

Berry and his crew should at least be getting a talking to from Bill Chaves on why his team is underperforming. Not saying Berry should be fired but he should at least under stand that their is an expectation from everyone that UND Hockey doesn't Rebuild, We Reload. 

9 minutes ago, rhenry8439 said:

Berry and his crew should at least be getting a talking to from Bill Chaves on why his team is underperforming. Not saying Berry should be fired but he should at least under stand that their is an expectation from everyone that UND Hockey doesn't Rebuild, We Reload. 

58d2db1da4001debb9d73234.jpg

7 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

The issue here isn't what we are allowed, or not allowed to do.  Everyone is allowed to offer their opinions and criticism.  My efforts have been to try to get people to think rationally about what they are writing.

Let's not kid ourselves.  What we post here is not constructive criticism.  Constructive criticism necessarily needs to be an interactive process involving feedback from the criticized.  It also needs to have certain specifics that pretty much never show up in any posts around here.  Typically you would point out the errors or deficiencies in the performance, using specifics, then give examples of how that performance needs or can be changed to cause improvement.

People write here that Berry and the staff are not recruiting well enough.  Ok.  So where is the constructive criticism?  What exactly should they be doing differently?  How should their approach differ?  Should they change where they recruit?  Should they change what they say to the kids?  Just complaining that we don't get high end recruits like we used to or like other schools do is not constructive criticism.

The same with the complaints that the coaching staff's style of play that is taught to the players turns scoring players at the junior level into non-scoring players at the college level.  Well, what precisely are the coaches doing incorrectly, and why?  What needs to be taught differently, and how will that change the performance of the team?

Good post.  Well I can honestly say there is probably no one on this board that can provide great constructive criticism them (as far as answers go).  However Bubs does need to let the boys play with a tad more creativity in the ozone (5x5 and PP).

But this is a public forum, so stating a fact (i.e. we used to recruit better (not that it's bad right now), we used to play with more consistency, we used to win more often, etc.) shouldn't allow others to think of them as irrational. 

I do like your post though.

22 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Do people realize last year’s team was literally in the same place as the 2013-14 team that made a run to the frozen four? They just had an unprecedented amount of upsets for auto bids knock them out. Also, we handled UMD in a ‘must win’ game for both teams at the time it was played. We went home, UMD won it all. So to act like last year was a massive coaching failure is flat out wrong.

The ‘Fire <insert current UND coach> gets old after every bad series. Hak, who many on this board want to lure back here ironically, would have been fired 10 times a year if this board had it’s way. Some users are gonna need surgery with the amount and intensity of knee jerk reactions they have. Is there a point where a coach should be considered to be past their useful life? Absolutely... but Berry isn’t even close halfway through a season.

I’ll be showing up this weekend and next in Omaha ready to cheer and get this team back on track to make the NCAAs. Hope this wasn’t too optimistic for some of ya.

Kudos on the Omaha trip!  I'm booked for Denver, so I have to wait a few more weeks to see my beloved Sioux on their road to PWR recovery.  It is going to be splendid.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:59 PM, Goon said:

Since when is Twitter a scientific poll?

• Upvote 1