SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

28 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

In a season that required us to win one more game, yes, I am honestly saying that. He wasn't some throw away. He was a Top 10 overall draft pick. 

I'll ask again... Do you not think Tyson Jost gets that team into the playoffs? 16 goals, 19 assists as a freshmen. 

You are making my point for me.  Losing a single player one year early, even a great player like Jost is not the reason they missed the playoffs.  The chronic lack of production from the Hoffs, Yons, Bowens, Janutenieuns, Simonsons, Adams, etc is what causes a team to miss the playoffs. 

A good team should not need a top 10 draft pick just to make the playoffs in college hockey.  

Of course Jost makes one game difference and they make the tourney, but I don't think that's the point.  The point is...he left.  That's no excuse for the poor play they exhibited much of last year.  Lack of production out of the guys on the roster that ARE/WERE here is why they missed the tourney.

This is similar to the...had they just beat *insert terrible loss*, then they would have been in. 

5 hours ago, TheFlop said:

Are you honestly saying that a premier college hockey team should fail to make the playoffs when they lose only 1 player earlier than expected........honestly?  Keeping in mind that making the playoffs only requires you to be in the top 16 of 60 teams, in a division littered with such juggernauts as Robert Morris, Canisius, Alabama Huntsville, etc.  In a sport like basketball where one player can dominate almost every minute of the game, sure, but in hockey that is ridiculous.  

Wait...did you say Canisius?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Schloss notes that NCHC teams winning percentage at .800 when outshooting opponent by double digits. UND at .423

On full moon nights, in January, on odd number days, when the temp is above 21 degrees. UND record is .900.

Talk about a small sample size there Schloss.

15 hours ago, TheFlop said:

You are making my point for me.  Losing a single player one year early, even a great player like Jost is not the reason they missed the playoffs.  The chronic lack of production from the Hoffs, Yons, Bowens, Janutenieuns, Simonsons, Adams, etc is what causes a team to miss the playoffs. 

A good team should not need a top 10 draft pick just to make the playoffs in college hockey.  

You're still completely ignoring what I asked. Do you think Jost gets that team to the playoffs last year?

15 hours ago, franchise said:

Of course Jost makes one game difference and they make the tourney, but I don't think that's the point.  The point is...he left.  That's no excuse for the poor play they exhibited much of last year.  Lack of production out of the guys on the roster that ARE/WERE here is why they missed the tourney.

This is similar to the...had they just beat *insert terrible loss*, then they would have been in. 

It literally is an excuse (aka, a reason) that this team didn't make the tourney, though. It's a reason they played worse. They lost a player that is a Top 10 draft pick. I get the point... others should pick up the slack. But, that ignores the fact that Jost would have made the team and all the other players around him, better. 

15 hours ago, franchise said:

So, if this team makes the playoffs last year with Jost, are we having this conversation?

ABSO-FRICKIN-LUTLEY.... NOT.

That's my point.

On 1/7/2019 at 5:26 PM, Godsmack said:

You saw it differently? 

Where am I wrong? 

I was teasing (partially :) ).  I’m sick of hearing what the other team did to defeat us.  That team was terrible, numbers don’t lie.  They should have never been able to rope a dope us.  It seems as though many teams are able to rope a dope is this year.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So, you're honestly saying that Tyson Jost, a player who showed he can consistently score goals on a team that struggled to score goals last year and is now playing in the NHL, leaving a year earlier than likely expected had no bearing on the team last season? Honestly? 

Even without Jost I said last years team was capable at making a run in the NCAA tournament as they were as capable of beating anyone in the country 2-1 as they were capable of losing to anyone in the country 2-1.

We played UMD in a game at the Excel Energy Center that both teams believed 100% they had to win to have any chance to make the NCAA tournament and handled them fairly easily....we all know what happened next.

As far as 2019, we seem to not look out of place when we play teams that try and beat us and attempt to create their own chances and we struggle against teams that pack it in and play not to lose and hope we make mistakes or they get a bounce of the puck.

4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

As far as 2019, we seem to not look out of place when we play teams that try and beat us and attempt to create their own chances and we struggle against teams that pack it in and play not to lose and hope we make mistakes or they get a bounce of the puck.

It's so weird, but it seems to be the case.

3 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Even without Jost I said last years team was capable at making a run in the NCAA tournament as they were as capable of beating anyone in the country 2-1 as they were capable of losing to anyone in the country 2-1.

We played UMD in a game at the Excel Energy Center that both teams believed 100% they had to win to have any chance to make the NCAA tournament and handled them fairly easily....we all know what happened next.

Good call.  Teams that open themselves up a little more probably are giving us a few better looks and odd man rushes, which is probably what this team needs to score more.  That's likely what we will be seeing the rest of the year, so fingers crossed.

52 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It literally is an excuse (aka, a reason) that this team didn't make the tourney, though. It's a reason they played worse. They lost a player that is a Top 10 draft pick. I get the point... others should pick up the slack. But, that ignores the fact that Jost would have made the team and all the other players around him, better. 

Reason: They lost one more game than they could afford.

Excuse: Well...if only Jost had stayed in school, everything would have been fine.

52 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So, if this team makes the playoffs last year with Jost, are we having this conversation?

ABSO-FRICKIN-LUTLEY.... NOT.

That's my point.

100% everyone would still think it's a disgrace to be swept by Canisius and sick of watching this team score 2 goals a weekend...regardless of slipping into the playoffs last yr

17 minutes ago, franchise said:

100% everyone would still think it's a disgrace to be swept by Canisius and sick of watching this team score 2 goals a weekend...regardless of slipping into the playoffs last yr

Disgraceful? Sure, but we have a stinker series every year. Fire able, like is being talked about now? Absolutely not.

Anyone who would be calling for Bubbs head on the on the backs of a natty and two tournament appearances is not stable.  

• Upvote 1