SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

I also feel like the business suits have been ruined. Reasoning:

First off, having to pull those out against a 50th ranked team was comical to me. It honestly took the seriousness away from the jerseys and from this team having to use them against such a lowly opponent in a joke of a rink. Was it really that tough of an opponent and in that hostile of an atmosphere?! What a waste of a usage. I can’t believe they even made the trip. Second off, despite the saddest time and place to feel the need to use the suits...they LOST in them. To CANSIUS!!

The UND hockey culture is slipping away. Check out the down fall of Maine hockey, it’s oddly similar to what’s happening now.  

1 hour ago, TravellingSiouxFan said:

It’s people like you that don’t understand hockey. They didn’t get their ass kicked....they did play their most complete game yet on Saturday. Get your head out of your ass

He may have exaggerated by saying asses kicked, but a complete game involves the most important thing which is scoring. I thought poolman was an idiot for saying that. They got a few dumb penalties, lost some important face offs, struggled in the neautral zone annnnnd...didn’t bury the damn puck. They didn’t even produce many odd man rushes or set many prime scoring chances. So I disagree it was their most complete game in many ways even if  you oddly don’t count burying the puck. 

I only recall UND’s forwards getting behind Canisius’ defense once all weekend and it happened in the 2nd period of the Saturday game and we got stoned. Canisius was opportunistic and scored on a couple of odd man rushes (the goal they scored Friday was a thing of beauty but shouldn’t have happened). 

11 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I must be sick of how complacent the hockey team is after finally winning one. They’re soft and they have no excuse not to be a top team with what’s invested in them.

Sure, I haven't been impressed the past three years.

I was going back and forth with someone on here about our journalist's role. I noted he was more of a marketing tool (which I still fully believe).  They just went out to Can. and got swept and they are in a pretty bad two year funk (in comparison to expectations).  Curious where some of those tougher questions were?  Who's asking what's going on?  The only thing I read immediately after the game was how bad we outshot them (20-30 ft unscreened perimeter shots).  Honestly, I would be curious what the Coach though of his team's future.  How do they turn things around?  This wasn't just last weekend.  I'm not sure I could directly ask those types of questions myself, but that's not my job.  I mean, this looks and feels pretty reminiscent to the last few years that Lucia had.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I was going back and forth with someone on here about our journalist's role. I noted he was more of a marketing tool (which I still fully believe).  They just went out to Can. and got swept and they are in a pretty bad two year funk (in comparison to expectations).  Curious where some of those tougher questions were?  Who's asking what's going on?  The only thing I read immediately after the game was how bad we outshot them (20-30 ft unscreened perimeter shots).  Honestly, I would be curious what the Coach though of his team's future.  How do they turn things around?  This wasn't just last weekend.  I'm not sure I could directly ask those types of questions myself, but that's not my job.  I mean, this looks and feels pretty reminiscent to the last few years that Lucia had.

It's okay though, majority of posters on this site were willing to have bad years just win a national championship. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, brianvf said:

Oh my.  Pride is the last thing that should have been felt after getting swept by Canisius.
Replace the word proud with embarrassed and that sounds more accurate.

As a captain, he should be more concerned about his teams play than referring himself as a Sioux hockey player (because he is not).

10 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

It's okay though, majority of posters on this site were willing to have bad years just win a national championship. 

I don’t know, I mean I wanted a natty pretty dang bad too.  I spent a ton of dough traveling to regional and FF sites over the past decade. But....this programs slide into mediocracy has me pretty concerned.  Just because folks are concerned right now doesn’t make them clueless.  I do know a ton about college hockey.

12 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Why can't we get those goalies?  My biggest pet peeve/gripe is the "we'll learn from this" (I believe Rhett Gardner was quoted saying that this wknd) but I've heard that exact same line now like 11 times in the past two seasons following bad losses/series'.  Learn from it after the first time, whether it happens at UND, in the minors/juniors, or even in high school.  God, that quote gets old.

I don't necessarily disagree, but what are these guys supposed to say? Is Bubbs supposed to rip his players in public? Are the captains supposed to call teammates out? Cliches are as old as sports (see what I did there?). None of this matters.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Is anyone else pissed that the coaches and players don’t seem pissed? I thought I was mad after the 2nd loss but that doesn’t even compare to how pissed I was after I heard Berry’s comments and the captains comments. This accepting loser attitude reminds me of the attitude of losing coaches and players on losing teams...not UND hockey attitude. Being use to it and okay with it is not what I was expecting to hear after the worst sweep in recent UND history. It’s like they didn’t even realize it was that bad. 

The coach is okay with it, the captain is okay with it...and now the team will be okay with it. Sooooo since it’s not a big deal in their eyes, I wonder what will happen now? Loser culture = losers = losses.

Also, this complete game BS is a JOKE. Playing a complete game and losing By one to a top tier team or conference rival is one thing but losing not one but two nights in a row to a team that shouldn’t be able to stay within 5 goals of any NCHC team is unacceptable. That’s not puck luck, that’s a poor team playing with a loser mentality...that’s a team okay with losing to anyone. They should’ve been more scared to lose Saturday night than anything in the world and should be dreading practice on Monday but they obviously weren’t and they’re not. They got a pat on the back from their buddy berry and will “dig in” by running the same drills and apparently ineffective PP schemes. They’ll be running around bonzers and Joe blacks just like any other week. Win or lose we hit the booze. This team will finish below .500, mark my words. The attitude made that prediction clear as day for me. No urgency no panic...no anything. Those are the emotions that bring change. Mellow disappointment and being proud of each other isn’t

Again, what do you want them to say in the media? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I was going back and forth with someone on here about our journalist's role. I noted he was more of a marketing tool (which I still fully believe).  They just went out to Can. and got swept and they are in a pretty bad two year funk (in comparison to expectations).  Curious where some of those tougher questions were?  Who's asking what's going on?  The only thing I read immediately after the game was how bad we outshot them (20-30 ft unscreened perimeter shots).  

Brad has a great story about it this weekend. He wasn't even remotely kind to the team. 

The thing that bothers me most is the Tim Hennessey line "the other team is trying too".   Well, that also means the past 26 games against Atlantic Hockey foes were trying as well, but being North Dakota we found ways to win those games, and now all of a sudden get swept?   I understand that fans get crazy thinking their team should always win, but the quality of hockey the past couple years has made many fans apathetic, as is witnessed that many cheap tickets go unsold on the forum.  All of this comes on the heels of NDSU winning another championship, so I'll bite, are no teams trying in FCS football?   We get swept by Canisius and nothing to see here according to Tim Hennessey, and to go one further, we probably have more losses this year than NDSU has had in 8 years.  I know, I know, apples to oranges. 

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

The thing that bothers me most is the Tim Hennessey line "the other team is trying too".   Well, that also means the past 26 games against Atlantic Hockey foes were trying as well, but being North Dakota we found ways to win those games, and now all of a sudden get swept?   I understand that fans get crazy thinking their team should always win, but the quality of hockey the past couple years has made many fans apathetic, as is witnessed that many cheap tickets go unsold on the forum.  All of this comes on the heels of NDSU winning another championship, so I'll bite, are no teams trying in FCS football?   We get swept by Canisius and nothing to see here according to Tim Hennessey, and to go one further, we probably have more losses this year than NDSU has had in 8 years.  I know, I know, apples to oranges. 

Beat me to it hahaha :D

But seriously, I don't like that "other team is trying, too" agrument, either. We are better than Canisius. We should beat them every game. But, that's hockey. Getting a little annoying to say that as much as we have, this year.