SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

8 hours ago, Big A HG said:

Ryder Donovan is the epitome of what the Brad Berry era has become.  Berry isn't just a coach/recruiter....he's essentially the General Manager of the program.  HIs management of the program is so poor to this point there might be irreparable damage done by the time this is all figured out.  Berry can coach.  He's a softy that the players could talk to.  But, that can only work so long before it becomes a problem.

Not trying to be rude, but these are just straight up ad hominem attacks on Bubbs. We get it, you don't like that the team isn't winning. But, you saying his management of the program is poor is not founded in any truth. 

He isn't the "rah, rah" guy or the steely-eyed glare guy, so you don't like him. Or, we're not winning, so you don't like him. Just speak it like it is instead of making stuff up.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Taz Boy said:

Hey SS Dipshits:

This thread clearly needs some adult thinking and perspective, so Taz is happy to oblige.  Many of you creampuffs appear to be personally offended by UND's recent struggles, somehow expecting to be assuaged your strife as the most noble of professions:  the disappointed, untalented fan.  Yes.  Tough to sit and watch others work, try, and at times fail at a high competitive level while you shart your undies from too much Juul fruit medley and creme brulee vape.  Why not work on improving your own self-esteem rather than expecting a college athlete to do it for you?

Of course, I'm a big Hakstol fan, and Blais before that, and Gasparini...  you get the picture.  But, I also dig me some coach Brad Berry big time.  Let's just remind ourselves what the relatively short Berry Era has produced:

• 2016:  Natty #8.  The Frozen Four performance solidifies he can coach at a high level, big games, big talent.  He also showed such caring and humility afterwards to members of his fan base back home that sadly many will never know just how nice and genuine a person he is.
  • 2016:  UND 4, BC 3 at Madison Square Garden:  Epic awesomeness--  big stage, big exposure.  Equals 1 National Title in Taz' book of sweet-ass Sioux memories.  Thank you, Sir.  May we have another?
  • 2018:  UND 3, UofM 1.  Berry and his team say "Yes, you may have another!" and it was so, so delicious .  What a great time for those who actually nutted up and traveled there.  A coaching and execution performance well deserving of our respect.  Not quite Natty level, but pretty darn close.

So, spew away into your keyboards.  I'm going to continue to enjoy all of this epic winning with all of my true Sioux faithful traveling to exotic locale, draining local bars of their inventory, and furthering the greatness that is North Dakota.  Go Sioux!!

taz

You forgot to mention these:
16-17: Knocked out of the first round NCAA

17-18: Missed the NCAA, first non 20 win season

18-19: Lost and Tied to Bemidji State, Swept by Canisius and first and second loss to an Atlantic Hockey program, potentially missing  the Frozen Faceoff, potentially missing the NCAA again.

I am afraid that this program is going down the path of the LATE LATE 80's and early 90's programs. However, this is what people on this site wanted, ONE national championship and mediocrity for a few years. I don't think this is a Berry coaching problem but it's his team and he better fix it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, siouxkid12 said:

I am afraid that this program is going down the path of the LATE LATE 80's and early 90's programs.

Based on UND missing the playoffs by one game and a rough 1/2 of this season? I just don't understand where this is coming from. 

Look at the pipeline. Look at the current roster (other than some of juniors). We aren't a talentless group that's failing to recruit. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Based on UND missing the playoffs by one game and a rough 1/2 of this season? I just don't understand where this is coming from. 

Look at the pipeline. Look at the current roster (other than some of juniors). We aren't a talentless group that's failing to recruit. 

Those early 90's teams were not talentless either. I am not saying we are getting out recruited either but whatever is not working needs to be fixed. Also, its not just their play either that upsets me. When the captain of the team says: “We’re struggling to find goals and it sucks, but I couldn’t be more proud of our guys. I’m more proud to be a Sioux tonight than some other nights when we win, because that was one of the most complete games I’ve seen us play.” That really grinds my gears!

5 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Those early 90's teams were not talentless either. I am not saying we are getting out recruited either but whatever is not working needs to be fixed. Also, its not just their play either that upsets me. When the captain of the team says: “We’re struggling to find goals and it sucks, but I couldn’t be more proud of our guys. I’m more proud to be a Sioux tonight than some other nights when we win, because that was one of the most complete games I’ve seen us play.” That really grinds my gears!

So, because you don't like Pooly's style, we're sinking into some sort of abyss. See what I'm saying?

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

So, because you don't like Pooly's style, we're sinking into some sort of abyss. See what I'm saying?

Your proud of when they lose? C'mon! 

I'll meet you at frenchman's pub or tailgate sports cafe and we can discuss it more.

5 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

The funny thing is this.  My guess is the coaching staff was maybe caught off guard by Jost's departure after one year.  It happens and you have to deal with it, but they probably had a reasonable expectation he'd be here at least two years.  If he stays, we probably end up a 2-3 seed in the NCAA's last year.  Do we make the Frozen Four?  Hard to say, but the season probably wouldn't have caused anyone to jump off a bridge, or even give it a second glance.

We're .500 this year.  We're not 2-16, coming off a 3-31 season from the year before.  The team has shown that on any given night they can beat the best teams in the country and on any given night they can lose to the worst teams in the country?  What does that say about this team?  Not sure, but things could be a heck of a lot worse.

I love sports fans.  We're sitting here evaluating the performance of a person who holds an elite level coaching position in the sport of hockey.  It's a position where if you do it very well, you get a chance to get hired to fill one of the 31 most important coaching positions on the planet in that particular sport.  That's what's being done by our fan base that posts here, a group that is likely qualified to coach a mites team, or maybe a high school JV team.   It's like we're discussing the ability of someone to be the head of cardiac surgery at Johns Hopkins just because we had an ekg done once.

No one here should take this criticism personally.  It's done by every fan base in every sport.  But we really do need to think about the rationality of our behavior.

WARNING!  Rational thinking above, high risk of creampuff triggers!  Read only while under supervision by your Safe Space Facilitator and with stuffed teddy firmly in clutch.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

The funny thing is this.  My guess is the coaching staff was maybe caught off guard by Jost's departure after one year.  It happens and you have to deal with it, but they probably had a reasonable expectation he'd be here at least two years.  If he stays, we probably end up a 2-3 seed in the NCAA's last year.  Do we make the Frozen Four?  Hard to say, but the season probably wouldn't have caused anyone to jump off a bridge, or even give it a second glance.

We're .500 this year.  We're not 2-16, coming off a 3-31 season from the year before.  The team has shown that on any given night they can beat the best teams in the country and on any given night they can lose to the worst teams in the country?  What does that say about this team?  Not sure, but things could be a heck of a lot worse.

I love sports fans.  We're sitting here evaluating the performance of a person who holds an elite level coaching position in the sport of hockey.  It's a position where if you do it very well, you get a chance to get hired to fill one of the 31 most important coaching positions on the planet in that particular sport.  That's what's being done by our fan base that posts here, a group that is likely qualified to coach a mites team, or maybe a high school JV team.   It's like we're discussing the ability of someone to be the head of cardiac surgery at Johns Hopkins just because we had an ekg done once.

No one here should take this criticism personally.  It's done by every fan base in every sport.  But we really do need to think about the rationality of our behavior.

Hold on now...you gave some great analogies regarding qualifications, but not once did you give any credit for staying at a Holiday Inn Express.   

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Taz Boy said:

Of course, I'm a big Hakstol fan, and Blais before that, and Gasparini...  you get the picture.  But, I also dig me some coach Brad Berry big time.  Let's just remind ourselves what the relatively short Berry Era has produced:

• 2016:  Natty #8.  The Frozen Four performance solidifies he can coach at a high level, big games, big talent.  He also showed such caring and humility afterwards to members of his fan base back home that sadly many will never know just how nice and genuine a person he is.
  • 2016:  UND 4, BC 3 at Madison Square Garden:  Epic awesomeness--  big stage, big exposure.  Equals 1 National Title in Taz' book of sweet-ass Sioux memories.  Thank you, Sir.  May we have another?
  • 2018:  UND 3, UofM 1.  Berry and his team say "Yes, you may have another!" and it was so, so delicious .  What a great time for those who actually nutted up and traveled there.  A coaching and execution performance well deserving of our respect.  Not quite Natty level, but pretty darn close.

Taz Boy, I love your input to death when I read it, but calling an October game between two 2018-2019 also-ran's "not quite Natty level" might be the mother of all hot takes I've seen so far this season.  

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Taz Boy, I love your input to death when I read it, but calling an October game between two 2018-2019 also-ran's "not quite Natty level" might be the mother of all hot takes I've seen so far this season.  

I'm thinking he was referring to our level of play that night? I mean, I'd say it was up to a national title level. 

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

It's that type of insight that really sets him apart from all the rest of us experts on here. :)

• Upvote 2

That some fans still point to one single player leaving early as an excuse for where this team is at is sad.  It's a bunch of crap.  The current players were all highly regarded players which is how they got here in the first place .  When someone comes to UND on an academic scholarship and doesn't produce, they can stay but they aren't guaranteed grant/scholarship money.....preferred research projects....etc....so not sure why the same isn't fair when it comes to athletes on athletic scholarships.  Berry needs to make it clear to 5-6 of these guys that yes you can stay but don't plan on getting any scholarship money or playing time and the problem will resolve itself.  

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm thinking he was referring to our level of play that night? I mean, I'd say it was up to a national title level. 

Well... not so sure about that...  ;)

It was a must win game for a young team playing in front of an aged, rodent-hating, hyper-partisan, liquored-up crowd who had just shelled out gobs of dough to take their family on an extended weekend at an expensive locale all because of an October game between two "also-rans".   Coach:  "No pressure, boys, but I'm told they just ran out of beer before puck drop."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

That some fans still point to one single player leaving early as an excuse for where this team is at is sad.  It's a bunch of crap.  The current players were all highly regarded players which is how they got here in the first place .  When someone comes to UND on an academic scholarship and doesn't produce, they can stay but they aren't guaranteed grant/scholarship money.....preferred research projects....etc....so not sure why the same isn't fair when it comes to athletes on athletic scholarships.  Berry needs to make it clear to 5-6 of these guys that yes you can stay but don't plan on getting any scholarship money or playing time and the problem will resolve itself.  

So, you're honestly saying that Tyson Jost, a player who showed he can consistently score goals on a team that struggled to score goals last year and is now playing in the NHL, leaving a year earlier than likely expected had no bearing on the team last season? Honestly? 

33 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So, you're honestly saying that Tyson Jost leaving a year earlier than likely expected had no bearing on the team last season? Honestly? 

Are you honestly saying that a premier college hockey team should fail to make the playoffs when they lose only 1 player earlier than expected........honestly?  Keeping in mind that making the playoffs only requires you to be in the top 16 of 60 teams, in a division littered with such juggernauts as Robert Morris, Canisius, Alabama Huntsville, etc.  In a sport like basketball where one player can dominate almost every minute of the game, sure, but in hockey that is ridiculous.  

22 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Are you honestly saying that a premier college hockey team should fail to make the playoffs when they lose only 1 player earlier than expected........honestly?  Keeping in mind that making the playoffs only requires you to be in the top 16 of 60 teams, in a division littered with such juggernauts as Robert Morris, Canisius, Alabama Huntsville, etc.  In a sport like basketball where one player can dominate almost every minute of the game, sure, but in hockey that is ridiculous.  

In a season that required us to win one more game, yes, I am honestly saying that. He wasn't some throw away. He was a Top 10 overall draft pick. 

I'll ask again... Do you not think Tyson Jost gets that team into the playoffs? 16 goals, 19 assists as a freshmen.