SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

34 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I don’t know, I mean I wanted a natty pretty dang bad too.  I spent a ton of dough traveling to regional and FF sites over the past decade. But....this programs slide into mediocracy has me pretty concerned.  Just because folks are concerned right now doesn’t make them clueless.  I do know a ton about college hockey.

We all have spent a lot of money traveling the past decade. I never said anyone was clueless or that they do not know a ton about college hockey (not sure where that came from) but I am pointing out that this is exactly what some people wanted.

Don't worry though, at this rate you nor I will have to spend that much money on regionals or FF for a long time.

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Beat me to it hahaha :D

But seriously, I don't like that "other team is trying, too" agrument, either. We are better than Canisius. We should beat them every game. But, that's hockey. Getting a little annoying to say that as much as we have, this year.

You can say apples to oranges, but the one thing you can't ignore is that if anyone should get big heads and get beat because of overconfidence it should be NDSU.  How many time has UND not been ready to play against teams they should beat?  

I said before the season I figured this team would be "offensively challenged" at best. 

What scares me is I was at the GB/Fargo USHL game Saturday and Mancinelli and Costello really didn't do anything that stood out offensively. At least Frisch had a sound defensive game. 

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

You can say apples to oranges, but the one thing you can't ignore is that if anyone should get big heads and get beat because of overconfidence it should be NDSU.  How many time has UND not been ready to play against teams they should beat?  

Hockey is different, but alright. 

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

What the hell does Tim expect? I’m not gonna lie I was pissed after the game ended. But I was enraged when Tim had a butt sniffing contest with Berry after that terrible weekend of hockey. I wonder if he realizes that guys like him play a part in this whole process too. I’m just sick of the mentality (and it’s everywhere nowadays) that you can’t criticize anyone. 

Just now, tnt said:

Hockey is different, but the point is being ready to play consistently.  

I don't personally think this team wasn't ready to play, this weekend. Winning a game is different than being prepared/ready to play. From what I saw/heard this weekend, we played fine, but didn't score. It's the unfortunate MO of this team.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't personally think this team wasn't ready to play, this weekend. Winning a game is different than being prepared/ready to play. From what I saw/heard this weekend, we played fine, but didn't score. It's the unfortunate MO of this team.

Friday, first period they weren't on it, and that is even according to Berry.  So now, instead of possibly taking the lead and play from in front, they allow the other team to think they are able to compete.  My biggest pet peeve is where UND comes out disinterested then play super hard the last period or two to show they can dominate.  Same scenario with Anchorage the second night, only they were lucky to turn that one around.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, tnt said:

Friday, first period they weren't on it, and that is even according to Berry.  So now, instead of possibly taking the lead and play from in front, they allow the other team to think they are able to compete.  My biggest pet peeve is where UND comes out disinterested then play super hard the last period or two to show they can dominate.  Same scenario with Anchorage the second night, only they were lucky to turn that one around.  

That's fair. I do feel like the team works hard, however. 

7 minutes ago, Hockeygirl97 said:

You have to get people in front of the net, blocking the goalie's line of sight. . . I wouldn't have thought that was that hard to figure out after Friday night's debacle. 

To quote Jake Brandt........"soft".

This team has almost no one that will go to the hard areas to make a play.

1 minute ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Absolutely not. I never want a coach or any player to lose their media etiquette and for sure NEVER want to see them throw anyone under the bus. In this current situation I was hoping for both the coach and the captain to take blame for this horrible showing and act and sound like it was completely unacceptable and that they were pissed about it. But they were not at all in any way.

I was expecting and hoping for them to be so emotional and mad that you could tell they were barely holding onto their composure of not cursing and smacking microphones out of their face. I wanted Berry to mention that this week in practice was going to be hell and that the boys better be prepared to get the sioux hockey beat back into them. But instead I heard ho hum and I'm proud of this team, which made me want to see that C ripped off his jersey and Berry kicked out the door. Their attitudes during those interviews matches up perfectly with how they play. Okay with losing as long as no ones feelings get hurt. Good ole boys club 

I didn't really get the impression that they made it sound acceptable. To each, their own. 

Pooly is NOT a "rah-rah" guy. If you want anything other than cliches or "proud" talk, he's not the captain for you. 

41 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Beat me to it hahaha :D

But seriously, I don't like that "other team is trying, too" agrument, either. We are better than Canisius. We should beat them every game. But, that's hockey. Getting a little annoying to say that as much as we have, this year.

...bud

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

I haven't seen it.  That's good though.  This team needs a kick in the rear.

I don't think Brad is going to ever provide that kind of a kick, nor should he. But, he didn't make excuses in the least bit.

From his Weekend Rewind:

"UND seemingly has to labor and labor and labor and labor and pile up 35 shots just to get a puck to go in the net. And when it does go in, it feels like the team just climbed Mt. Everest. Then, the other team gets one good look — and sometimes not even a good look — and it goes in. Could there be a better example of that than Saturday night’s first period when UND outshot Canisius 23-2 and didn’t have a lead to show for it? And the telling part is that period didn’t feel strange. It seemed normal.

It’s fairly obvious by now that UND lacks high-end finishers this season. This has happened in too many games now to just chalk it up to bad luck or running into goalies who are playing out of their minds. Every team is going to run into a hot goalie a few times a year, but not every week. UND has been held to 1 or 0 goals in more than a third of the games now. That’s a trend."

35 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

We all have spent a lot of money traveling the past decade. I never said anyone was clueless or that they do not know a ton about college hockey (not sure where that came from) but I am pointing out that this is exactly what some people wanted.

Don't worry though, at this rate you nor I will have to spend that much money on regionals or FF for a long time.

It was in response to a ton of other folks...not you at all.  Thought-spewing

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Haha it's true! Hockey is a game like no other where a goalie or a bad bounce can erase a 40-20 shot advantage.

No... I know the game.  I get how it works.  But after an embarrassing weekend like that (coupled with the 2-3 previous years)….thats way too early.

Just now, scpa0305 said:

No... I know the game.  I get how it works.  But after an embarrassing weekend like that (coupled with the 2-3 previous years)….that way too early.

Lol I wasn't saying that to imply that you don't, whatsoever. Over simplifying it, I guess. Oh well... it is, what it is. We're not very good offensively. That's the long and short of it. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Why can't we get those goalies?  My biggest pet peeve/gripe is the "we'll learn from this" (I believe Rhett Gardner was quoted saying that this wknd) but I've heard that exact same line now like 11 times in the past two seasons following bad losses/series'.  Learn from it after the first time, whether it happens at UND, in the minors/juniors, or even in high school.  God, that quote gets old.

The point is that those goalies aren't as good as we make them look. Canisius had a save percentage well below .900 before our series. We should have pumped in 3 goals per night minimum.

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The point is that those goalies aren't as good as we make them look. Canisius had a save percentage well below .900 before our series. We should have pumped in 3 goals per night minimum.

It's shot selection.  There is zero creativity.  They are firing a ton of rubber on net but it's all from the perimeter with no screens.  The fact we have great possession metrics shows that we are (on most nights) much better than the team's we play.  Now it's offensive creativity.  I'm fully convinced it has something to do with the system they are running. Using a Dman as an outlet is great...one of my favorite strategies and I think many teams can do it more.  The problem is that we only use the dmen when in the ozone.  They use their "outlets" as option A, B, and C.  It's like running a play action every play in football.  As soon as our forwards are allowed to play hockey in the ozone, using the dmen as "outlets" will be astronomically more effective (especially on the PP).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2