SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

What's Berry's contract situation like? You let this year play out and the miss the tournament for the second year in a row. Before Berry they missed the tournament once (02') since 1997. Should that be enough to lose his job? For sure, but is there any chance that happens? 

I do think the recruiting pipeline is stacked, but although things will probably get better next year (at least more hopeful / exciting with that freshman class), I wouldn't be surprised if they missed again with that anchor of that Senior class (no Junior) around this programs neck. 

Simplified question. How many years of missing the tournament until Berry loses his job?

As far as pairwise goes, we have heard every year at this time that this or that loss is a killer.   It doesn’t help, but playing in the NCHC helps boost you up pretty fast, and this team has shown when they want to play against decent teams, they do.  Problem is they need to have that passion against all the teams.  Absolutely need to win the next five now, which is possible if they come to play, but they should send a few messages starting tomorrow. Mismash should have sat before Weatherby.

I was at the game tonight and while we had long stretches of zone time, we didn’t do anything with it. The shots we did put on net were either logo busters or the goalie had a clear view of them for easy saves. We don’t seem to have any creativity in the offensive zone and no finishers.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Some in these parts seemed to be happy UND ended their season with a win last year so there's that. Maybe we can all hope for at least that?

For this team to finish the season with a win would mean they would win the third place game at the Xcel.  I have serious doubt they will even make it to St. Paul this year.  Good chance they will be on the road for the first round (another streak broken). 

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Play Rieger and Yon from here on out. At least they will give you an honest night's effort. Sit any two of the ten forwards tonight who played like they didn't give a sh**!

I couldn't agree more and this is not something I would have agreed with prior to this game. There's not a single difference maker forward on this team, so the coaching staff should just play the guys who will try hard. Does it truly matter if Mismash / Jones / Kawaguchi are out there or Yon / Rieger / Johnson? I mean neither line is going to score regularly anyways.

3 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

I lived through the early nineties..... I hope this doesn't last half as long....and I hope I live through this, too.

Oh man, I hear you.  Real late 80s to mid 90s nothing special/not good (?), just like late 60/early 70s to mid 70s (?), until Gasparini was put in charge to right the ship. Even though he nabbed a natty in 1st season with Hak's players, starting to look like Berry might be in same arena with Bjorkman although I have some optimism for next season (not this one) pending if the soph class can get it going.   

How long does this crap have to go on before we do something - look at football as a cautionary tale.  This is the least amount of talent I have seen up front in many years - perhaps ever - and I have been a fan since before the Bjorkman years.  Time for some passengers to go - and that may include coaches. 

7 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Stick a fork in them , turn out the lights the parties over and the fat lady is singing. It’s pretty obvious that Berry can’t motivate this team or make tough decisions to make this team perform, time to move on with Jackson for the rest of the year and find a new head coach.

Seems to me that you said similar things about Hakstol when he didn’t win a National Championship.  I think this is Karma for all the people that expressed they would be ok with several “off” seasons if we would win a Championship.  It seems to be happening now, but then again people have said stick a fork in them many years at this time, so you never know.

3 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Oh man, I hear you.  Real late 80s to mid 90s nothing special/not good (?), just like late 60/early 70s to mid 70s (?), until Gasparini was put in charge to right the ship. Even though he nabbed a natty in 1st season with Hak's players, starting to look like Berry might be in same arena with Bjorkman although I have some optimism for next season (not this one) pending if the soph class can get it going.   

Have you seen any forwards improve their play from year to year under Berry? 

8 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I was at the game tonight and while we had long stretches of zone time, we didn’t do anything with it. The shots we did put on net were either logo busters or the goalie had a clear view of them for easy saves. We don’t seem to have any creativity in the offensive zone and no finishers.

"don't seem to have any creativity in the offensive zone and no finishers" nails it.  With the recruits we get (unless we sorely misevaluate potential talent to make it at/progress at the the college level?), coaching has to be lacking.  Plain and simple, it's one or the other or a little of both.