SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UMD GAMEDAY

Langster019

36 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I think I would’ve felt a smidge better had Berry expressed a little piss and vinager in his post game interview and said what so many of us have been posting tonight. 

I take it he didn't?  I would agree with you, heck I would of spouted piss and vinegar and I'm not the coach, just a fan.

Just now, sioux rube said:

I would too but I think he burned to many bridges while he was here 

How many of those bridges are actually still at UND?  Not many that I can count.

For the record, I think Eades is a good coach, but may not be in UND's best interests to rehire.

Just now, George M. Bluth said:

Get the team together and show them clips of the Omaha outdoor game, the comeback vs. the Gophers at the Final Five, the crowd turn outs for Tampa and annual Denver trips.  Show them the support they have and who they're playing for.

That's what Vegas was a month ago....they already forgot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I will say this, if we salvage a win tomorrow, and a split next weekend, a lot of this speculation will be for nothing.

You make a great point. Heck, not even thinking about what happens next week if we somehow win tomorrow night then a split is certainly a success series-wise as that's all I was hoping for.  We lay another egg tomorrow night though and yoy….. 

• Upvote 2

Problem is... this is not an anomaly.  This team has not shown that it is capable of playing at a notch higher.  I'd be surprised if they score more than 2 tomorrow, which will probably not be enough to win, given how soundly Duluth won the 50/50 matchups today, and how many screw ups our forwards committed.  Just one mistake after another.

• Downvote 1

Not sure I understand this fascination of wanting Sandelin as our head coach. 

Sandelin’s career record at UMD is barely above .500.   He has had consecutive season records of 15-17-6, 11-25-3, 13-21-5, 13-17-6.  In 18 seasons he has NEVER won a conference regular season title.  He has missed the NC$$ tourney more times than he’s made it. 

I’m not a Berry fan but I also don’t want Sandelin as our next coach either. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Sandelin’s career record at UMD is barely above .500.   He has had consecutive season records of 15-17-6, 11-25-3, 13-21-5, 13-17-6.  In 18 seasons he has NEVER won a conference regular season title.  He has missed the NC$$ tourney more times than he’s made it. 

Good points, but he is also doing what he is doing in Duluth....formerly a mediocre program that was a step-child to bigger programs.  That's going to create a rocky ride naturally.  Now he has Duluth as one of the premier programs in the country.  I wouldn't be surprised if they go through another short mediocre period in a couple years.  The point of bringing Sandy in is taking what he is capable of in Duluth and amplifying it in a known hockey factory that UND is.  Best facilities, best traditions and culture, best fans.

It's moments like this I wonder what a difference 1 player makes in the lineup.

Had Tyson Jost stayed one more year, we find a way to win 1 more lousy game last year probably get into the tournament while Duluth misses the NCAAs and likely some of its current talent on the roster opt for greener pastures in the professional ranks.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

Good points, but he is also doing what he is doing in Duluth....formerly a mediocre program that was a step-child to bigger programs.  That's going to create a rocky ride naturally.  Now he has Duluth as one of the premier programs in the country.  I wouldn't be surprised if they go through another short mediocre period in a couple years.  The point of bringing Sandy in is taking what he is capable of in Duluth and amplifying it in a known hockey factory that UND is.  Best facilities, best traditions and culture, best fans.

You hit the nail on the head. It is cyclical and UMD has just had our number lately. The ebb and flow. They can enjoy it while it lasts. 

5 minutes ago, NoDak Fan said:

It's moments like this I wonder what a difference 1 player makes in the lineup.

Had Tyson Jost stayed one more year, we find a way to win 1 more lousy game last year probably get into the tournament while Duluth misses the NCAAs and likely some of its current talent on the roster opt for greener pastures in the professional ranks.

That's good stuff, great point.  Yah, no doubt Jost would have made difference in gaining one more win (minimum) last season.

24 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Exactly. Weren’t Duluth fans just calling for him to be fired a few years ago when UND countinually beat them. A few of their recruits have panned out and they have been able to keep a few guys longer. We have lost a few players to the NHL and that is going to hurt. 

52 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Why would Sandelin give up his gig even for the chance to return to his alma mater? He’s probably going to get another contract extension and for even more money and he’s got a really good thing going right where he’s at. Duluth is among the elite in the country now going on several years in a row. I just think we’re overestimating the whole, “he’d come back because it’s UND and that’s his alma mater” sentiment. 

I don’t think anyone is saying he would. The question is what would it take ... if anything.

20 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

Both Sandelin and the previous coach (Mike Sertich) had periods where the team was pretty good. 

Overall Sertich’s win percent was .515 compared to Sandelin’s .524. 

Sertich coached for 16 seasons and won 3 conference titles and had 4 NC$$ tourney appearances (compared to 0 and 8 in 18 seasons for Sandelin).  Not sure I see much difference.  IMO, It was a bit more difficult to make the tourney when Sertich was coaching.   Sandelin has the advantages in tourney titles 2-0.  

Maybe Sandelin can keep this recent success going and improve his coaching record but for me i would not want him as our head coach.  The lack of a conference title in 18 years is a huge red flag to me.  Winning the old WCHA or the NCHC is a better indication of how good your team really is versus a single elimination series where more often than not the best team does not win the championship.

2 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Both Sandelin and the previous coach (Mike Sertich) had periods where the team was pretty good. 

Sertich coached for 16 seasons and won 3 conference titles and had 4 NC$$ tourney appearances (compared to 0 and 8 in 18 seasons for Sandelin).  Not sure I see much difference.  IMO, It was a bit more difficult to make the tourney when Sertich was coaching.   Sandelin has the advantages in tourney titles 2-0.  

Maybe Sandelin can keep this recent success going and improve his coaching record but for me i would not want him as our head coach.  The lack of a conference title in 18 years is a huge red flag to me.  Winning the old WCHA or the NCHC is a better indication of how good your team really is versus a single elimination series where more often than not the best team does not win the championship.

You can't be serious?  Since Sandelin got a decent arena in 2010 he has been lights out.  2 National Titles, a Runner Up, and on his way to a possible/likely 3rd title.  UND would take him in a heartbeat but he ain't coming  

17 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

You can't be serious?  Since Sandelin got a decent arena in 2010 he has been lights out.  2 National Titles, a Runner Up, and on his way to a possible/likely 3rd title.  UND would take him in a heartbeat but he ain't coming  

Definitely serious.

He’s had a good run recently but his overall record is average even with this good run.   His two titles are a good achievement but I feel like it is more than a bit of good luck.  The fact remains that he has never won a single conference regular season title in 18 years.   Some want to tar and feather a coach for missing one NC$$ tourney, maybe soon to be two.  Sandelin has missed it 10 times including twice during this awesome run of success.  Maybe the tide has turned and he will be a great coach from here on out.  I can only look at the history and it is mixed at best.  Right now he is having a good run, before that he wasn’t very good.  

37 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

They were very close to missing the tourney last year. And certainty wasn't lights out in their four games to the natty. We had won 5-0 in their new barn opener which is the same season they won their first natty. And we have swept them there a few seasons back. UND would not take him in a heart beat. I honestly don't see why. He was an assistant here already. He's a good coach and as a und fan I have a soft spot for him because of his contributions to this program. But that's it.

1 hour ago, rochsioux said:

Should probably be noted that in his years as a coach, he's never lead a blue blood program....just sayin.  He's either been dealing with UND/UM/UW/Denver in front of him or UND/Denver.  Blaming a dude for not having any conference titles in a period of time seems like blaming Lou Holtz for winning a grand title of one(tied) conference title between 11 years at Arkansas and Minnesota, honestly it makes a person look stupid.