SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UMD GAMEDAY

Langster019

1 minute ago, Big A HG said:

I would love Hak back....never was on the bandwagon of disliking him.  If not Hak, there's a proven Sioux alum with coaching and recruiting ability.  He was on the other bench tonight.  You pay him to come home.  If a coach can do what he's been doing in Duluth, imagine what he could do with REA and its facilities and tradition.

Completely agree. I always liked Hak and never understood the hate. Anyone remember what it was like to have a competitive team year in and year out?

The question is, would Sandelin even want to come over to GF at this point? On the one hand, he may be comfortable and feel settled living where he is and coaching a very elite team. On the other hand, he has a kid leaving for college and may be ready for a change. Who knows.

Sadly, UND has no track record of making appropriate, timely coaching changes.  Bubba is still wandering around here, although a recent epiphany came to him that he should look a bit at the offense.  If this is allowed to go on much longer I will be really worried about our return to relevance.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

I would love Hak back....never was on the bandwagon of disliking him.  If not Hak, there's a proven Sioux alum with coaching and recruiting ability.  He was on the other bench tonight.  You pay him to come home.  If a coach can do what he's been doing in Duluth, imagine what he could do with REA and its facilities and tradition.

Grant Potulney. That would make for an interesting story.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, omahasioux1 said:

Wife was going to take a uber from the airport, told her I had time to get her.

Pretty crazy, but I'd honestly rather watch reruns of a mediocre sitcom than sit through the trash that was tonights game. Started  fine ... one team adjusted .... the other team fell asleep.

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

Grant Potulney. That would make for an interesting story.

It would be interesting for sure. I could care less that he played for MN ... so did Deano. I just want to win ... unless it means hiring Lucia ... then I'm good with losing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

THIS!..... Serious concern, its already happened.  Very very close to a slipping under into a very terrible long term issue.

Early 70s to mid 70s and early 90s to mid 90s, likely coming real soon to a location near you!  Hopefully just a 3 - 4 year swoon but TBD...

1 minute ago, Irish said:

Sadly, UND has no track record of making appropriate, timely coaching changes.  Bubba is still wandering around here, although a recent epiphany came to him that he should look a bit at the offense.  If this is allowed to go on much longer I will be really worried about our return to relevance.  

Not to make this thread about football, but Bubba was a mistake, IMO.   Why did we go with the homer guy, when a nation-wide search was supposedly done?  The record is in - several disappointing seasons in a row should have been enough to clean house.

Back to hockey - I can't remember the last time I stopped closely watching a game after 2 periods.  This one was so obviously over, it was not even worth paying attention.  Rock Bottom.

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Pretty crazy, but I'd honestly rather watch reruns of a mediocre sitcom than sit through the trash that was tonights game. Started  fine ... one team adjusted .... the other team fell asleep.

You can catch reruns of Friends just about any time you like on TBS. :)

3 minutes ago, Irish said:

I maintain Bubba is making all of his staffing changes a year too late. I would have supported all of his changes a year ago. He stuck by his guys, and should have went with them. 

That being said, I'm excited to see what Freund can do with the tools that he has on roster.

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Completely agree. I always liked Hak and never understood the hate. Anyone remember what it was like to have a competitive team year in and year out?

The question is, would Sandelin even want to come over to GF at this point? On the one hand, he may be comfortable and feel settled living where he is and coaching a very elite team. On the other hand, he has a kid leaving for college and may be ready for a change. Who knows.

Hard to say, of course, if Sandy would leave.  He certainly does have a good thing going and would have quite the roster mess to clean up in Grand Forks.  Money talks.  You either pay the man what he needs (within reason) and carry that expense....or watch money get pissed down the drain with the soon to be half-empty Ralph.  If you don't think a half-empty REA is possible, I think you're mistaken.

Just now, Godsmack said:

You can catch reruns of Friends just about any time you like on TBS. :)

FRIENDS is far above mediocre! and how dare you suggest otherwise. In fact, FRIENDS would have beat this team tonight.

Thank goodness for Hulu and whiskey, or tonight would have really sucked.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Oldguy said:

Not to make this thread about football, but Bubba was a mistake, IMO.   Why did we go with the homer guy, when a nation-wide search was supposedly done?  The record is in - several disappointing seasons in a row should have been enough to clean house.

Back to hockey - I can't remember the last time I stopped closely watching a game after 2 periods.  This one was so obviously over, it was not even worth paying attention.  Rock Bottom.

Sadly, this may actually not be rock bottom.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Big A HG said:

Hard to say, of course, if Sandy would leave.  He certainly does have a good thing going and would have quite the roster mess to clean up in Grand Forks.  Money talks.  You either pay the man what he needs (within reason) and carry that expense....or watch money get pissed down the drain with the soon to be half-empty Ralph.  If you don't think a half-empty REA is possible, I think you're mistaken.

Does anyone know what the UND vs UMD salaries are?

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Does anyone know what the UND vs UMD salaries are?

Sandy's will max out at $350k in a couple years plus bonuses I'm sure.  Berry is at $400k plus bonuses.

I don't see a problem with going $450-500 for Sandy with his proven track record and alum ties.

Why would Sandelin give up his gig even for the chance to return to his alma mater? He’s probably going to get another contract extension and for even more money and he’s got a really good thing going right where he’s at. Duluth is among the elite in the country now going on several years in a row. I just think we’re overestimating the whole, “he’d come back because it’s UND and that’s his alma mater” sentiment. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Godsmack said:

Why would Sandelin give up his gig even for the chance to return to his alma mater? He’s probably going to get another contract extension and for even more money and he’s got a really good thing going right where he’s at. Duluth is among the elite in the country now going on several years in a row. I just think we’re overestimating the whole, “he’d come back because it’s UND and that’s his alma mater” sentiment. 

I don't disagree.  It's not even close to being a done deal.  You just never know if you don't ask (with a lot of money held out in your hands).

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Predictable softballs from Hennessy to Berry in the post game interview.

I expected nothing less but he is in reality a UND employee,  correct (like the men's hoops play by play guy who a few years ago was suspended for describing UND's game ending play in a late close loss as "choke job")?  Isn't Hennessy under the same employment scenario?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GDPritch said:

I expected nothing less but he is in reality a UND employee,  correct (like the men's hoops play by play guy who a few years ago was suspended for describing UND's game ending play in a late close loss as "choke job")?  Isn't Hennessy under the same employment scenario?

Yah, you’re probably right. Hennessy’s gotta toe the company line or else..he’ll receive a contract extension and raise for mediocre performance.

Just now, GDPritch said:

Paul Ralston!  :lol: Yes, we need him to do the post-game...if nothing else for comedic relief.  Paul doesn't know when to stop talking sometimes, so it would be a perfect fit this season.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

I vaguely remember some kid losing a foot out on the fifth hole or so of Ray Dicks who could still find a way to score.

Spot on!  I believe his first goal after that was his in his first game back following that in the Final 5 in St Paul and didn't he score a goal like on his first shift if I recall correctly?!

Just now, GDPritch said:

Spot on!  I believe his first goal after that was his in his first game back following that in the Final 5 in St Paul and didn't he score a goal like on his first shift if I recall correctly?!

I shouldn't have even mentioned Kristo and his one foot.  Next thing we know Berry will start trying to bring more one-footed kids in. 

• Upvote 1