SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UMD GAMEDAY

Langster019

I struggled to watch through the end of the 2nd period and I won't be paying much attention to the 3rd and I don't think that has really ever been the case for me with Sioux hockey. Duluth has basically bullied UND the last couple of seasons physically. The lack of talent on UND's roster is absolutely unacceptable and it has become pretty clear in the last year and a half that Berry isn't close to the level of coach Hakstol was when he was here. Hak would find a way no matter what the roster looked like to have his team competing for the conference championship. The last couple years we lose 1 top player to an injury for a while and can't recover. This team looks so undisciplined, unprepared, and unfocused it is an absolute joke. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

Duluth is really good.  But even with our injuries we should be able to play with them. Recruiting has to be fixed.  No more role players, skilled players only.

You have to have role players on your hockey team. The Gophers and Terriers are a perfect example of this. 

4 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Aaaaand right on que we have the Apostle of Mediocrity chiming in...

downvotes for everybody downvotes for all... when it comes to pathetic haeks logos for all!!

When in doubt blame the little bird on the shoulder.

6 minutes ago, bcblues said:

Hak was an excellent recruiter.  I will give him that.  He was also great at getting the team ready for the second half of the season.  He just didn't have the ability to drive them to a championship.

Makes you wonder was Berry being the HC in 2016 a real difference maker to UND winning the title or would have any decent coach gotten it? To me, it looks like if Hak stuck around. He would’ve finally got one.

• Upvote 4

Just now, SiouxFanatic said:

Makes you wonder was Berry being the HC in 2016 a real difference maker to UND winning the title or would have any decent coach been there? To me it, it looks like if Hak stuck around. He would’ve finally got one.

@Godsmack could have coaches that team to a natty!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Goon said:

You have to have role players on your hockey team. The Gophers and Terriers are a perfect example of this. 

Then get role players that are skilled. Don’t pull third liners from junior teams.  We have 3/4 of them. We have multiple players that did nothing in juniors 

• Upvote 4

Just now, SiouxFanatic said:

Makes you wonder was Berry being the HC in 2016 a real difference maker to UND winning the title or would have any decent coach been there? To me it, it looks like if Hak stuck around. He would’ve finally got one.

Brad was a great assistant because he could provide the connection on a human level to the players.  At the Pro plevel, Hac is dealing with "professionals" (for the most part).  So they get it with his style.  Brad could never be a pro coach, IMHO.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Goon said:

How many role players work for you? The amount they have now that has turned this team into a non playoff contender. Is the Junior class your favorite? 5 for 5 on role player forwards! 

Then get role players that are skilled. Don’t pull third liners from junior teams.  We have 3/4 of them. We have multiple players that did nothing in juniors 

Not disagreeing, but theres only what 3-7 first round draft choices from season to season. So, you have to get the players that can fit a system. This team doesn't have it. 

Hate the smallIQ people that think it made a difference in 2016 to have berry there...  I dont see a ton of difference between the 2011 team and the 2016 team... the difference...

The team got the bounce in the semifinal....

berry coaching in 11. hak in 2016 the real difference was a bounce either going our way or not in the semifinal

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, AJS said:

How many role players work for you? The amount they have now that has turned this team into a non playoff contender. Is the Junior class your favorite? 5 for 5 on role player forwards! 

Yes, the Junior Class isn't good. This season's freshman class was highly regarded. The next two classes are as well. 

Nothing to me is more frustrating then the you need role players argument. There are players that are talented, but are also responsible (see Gardner / Jones). Those should be your role players.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Makes you wonder was Berry being the HC in 2016 a real difference maker to UND winning the title or would have any decent coach gotten it? To me, it looks like if Hak stuck around. He would’ve finally got one.

Yup he won it with Hak's players and finally UND had a little puck luck, etc., which is so prevalent in one and done games.