SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2018-19

MoSiouxFan

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Cue all the Minnesota hockey snobs with the "That was early in the season, it would be different if the games happened now" rationalization. :silly:

Central could win the Class A tournament this year in Minnesota......and be competitive in the AA tournament.

Central would be the favorite to win 8A and have a chance to win 8AA with Moorhead, Roseau, Brainerd, and Buffalo the top 4 left there, Moorhead would probably be their biggest competition. They'd be competitive in class A and AA at the state tournament but not sure they would win either. When I've seen them their goaltending has been pretty suspect and he'd have to make some saves to win either A or AA. Don't forget about a team like Hermantown in class A as they tied one of the AA favorites Minnetonka during the regular season, St. Cloud Cathedral is a really good class A team too who is just now getting healthy. Just so much more depth in Minnesota high school hockey, very few blowouts even in the A first round of the state tournament anymore.

4 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Central would be the favorite to win 8A and have a chance to win 8AA with Moorhead, Roseau, Brainerd, and Buffalo the top 4 left there, Moorhead would probably be their biggest competition. They'd be competitive in class A and AA at the state tournament but not sure they would win either. When I've seen them their goaltending has been pretty suspect and he'd have to make some saves to win either A or AA. Don't forget about a team like Hermantown in class A as they tied one of the AA favorites Minnetonka during the regular season, St. Cloud Cathedral is a really good class A team too who is just now getting healthy. Just so much more depth in Minnesota high school hockey, very few blowouts even in the A first round of the state tournament anymore.

Is there a reason why they don’t play Moorhead during the regular season? 

4 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

When you have more total teams in Minnesota than ND has players I would hope they would have more depth. Central is pretty special this year and would be right up there with Hermantown, St Cloud Cath and Minnetonka, but we'll never know. One thing I do know is that for every elite team MN HS hockey has, it has 6 REALLY poor programs. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sioux rube said:

Is there a reason why they don’t play Moorhead during the regular season? 

If Central can start getting more 6 point games scheduled and maybe drop the Christmas tournament, that would free up 4-5 more games for them to play some 2A MN teams. This year would've been the year to do that though. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

What makes you think this? Central's goaltending doesn't get tested much, if at all, but I don't think it is "suspect".

27 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Agree regarding GFC goaltending. However, in a hypothetical situation where they were playing as a MN Section 8AA team, I assume Kaleb Johnson would have come back for his senior year. Would Caulfield still have left early? 

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What makes you think this? Central's goaltending doesn't get tested much, if at all, but I don't think it is "suspect".

Watched them against Red River, Davies, and EGF and each game their goalie gave up at least 1 very soft goal. I know he doesn't face a whole lot of action and that can kind of contribute to some soft goals when you don't get to feel the puck a whole lot.

11 hours ago, Telly33 said:

Guys, there isn't going to be a miracle this afternoon.  Mandan beating Central wouldn't be a miracle, it would be some alternate reality.  Central will likely score more goals than Mandan's shot total.  A miracle could happen later in the tournament, but trust me it's not happening today.

As for Central's zero goals allowed tournament in '04.......the stuff this year's team has done is light years beyond that.  Beating the defending MN champs 10-0, outscoring a good EGF team 13-3 on the season, obviously the undefeated season, but none of the game's even being remotely close (the RR OT game wasn't close), the depth of the team, etc.

They could easily have a shutout tournament, probably won't, depends on goaltending, but I'll wager they will allow less shots on goal over the course of the tournament than the '04 team did anyway.

Wasn’t it 03?