SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2018-19

MoSiouxFan

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Just interviewed the Davies AD.  Izzo asked him if they were going to open the coaching job.  

Now correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't he just have the parents coach the team next year?

Asking for a friend....

Sadly, the operative word here is Izzo - a totally gutless yes man.  Expecting a tough interview from him is futile.

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Just interviewed the Davies AD.  Izzo asked him if they were going to open the coaching job.  

Now correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't he just have the parents coach the team next year?

Asking for a friend....

Who’s the AD? Is it Todd Olson? 

10 hours ago, UND1983 said:

2 out of 3 grand forks teams lose at state hockey.  Yah, about that whole tournament being in grand forks isnt an advantage for them.......

Let's see, Red River lost to Bismarck Century earlier in Grand Forks.  They were actually closer this time around, and not having two difference makers that will be playing at UND kind of levels the playing field.  I have a feeling that Kunz and Montgomery would be two of the top scorers in the state again had they returned, and Davies would be a step up with Kleven as well. 

11 hours ago, UND1983 said:

2 out of 3 grand forks teams lose at state hockey.  Yah, about that whole tournament being in grand forks isnt an advantage for them.......

Grand Forks only has 2 teams.  GFC won 14-0.....not sure they would have won by anymore in the Ralph so your logic = wrong.

Once again, ND High School hockey has one loaded team this year....a team that would be great during any historically time period.....that arena played in doesn't matter.  The gap between one and the rest is magnified even greater with the rest of the state consisting of some nice teams but not particularly strong teams. 

They could play the tournament in Brazil this year and it wouldn't matter with GFC.

To say it isnt an advantage to play any state tournament (basketball, volleyball, hockey, etc.) in your home town is just wrong.  I've been on both ends of the spectrum and in my opinion it's not close. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Grand Forks only has 2 teams.  GFC won 14-0.....not sure they would have won by anymore in the Ralph so your logic = wrong.

Once again, ND High School hockey has one loaded team this year....a team that would be great during any historically time period.....that arena played in doesn't matter.  The gap between one and the rest is magnified even greater with the rest of the state consisting of some nice teams but not particularly strong teams. 

Sexist much?

also what does central have to do with anything at wrote? Of course they were going to win it was mandan.

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Asking for a friend....

Wilber ... off the top rope ... down goes Davies! 

200.gif

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

They could play the tournament in Brazil this year and it wouldn't matter with GFC.

To say it isnt an advantage to play any state tournament (basketball, volleyball, hockey, etc.) in your home town is just wrong.  I've been on both ends of the spectrum and in my opinion it's not close. 

It is an advantage, but nowhere near the advantage of a normal home ice game because you aren't playing on the ice you always play on, and the crowd advantage is mitigated a bit because there are teams from all over, and frankly most of those teams wouldn't be cheering for Central.  Like you said, that is the same for all the other sports as well. 

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Sexist much?

also what does central have to do with anything at wrote? Of course they were going to win it was mandan.

Ignorant much?  The Grand Forks girls team has never won a state championship yet you are somehow trying to argue they've enjoyed the benefit of home ice?  If home ice matters that much shouldn't they at least have won one title based on it being such an advantage?

The best teams tend to win regardless of the location.  

5 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Ignorant much?  The Grand Forks girls team has never won a state championship yet you are somehow trying to argue they've enjoyed the benefit of home ice?  If home ice matters that much shouldn't they at least have won one title based on it being such an advantage?

The best teams tend to win regardless of the location.  

Why do you hate girls hockey so much?  hate on hata

34 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Maybe the Red River parents and administrators should take a hard look at why that is.  I wouldn't send my kid to that school either.  

Boy have times changed.  When I went to HS central was the school you didn’t want to go to.

23 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Why do you hate girls hockey so much?  hate on hata

Never said I hate it, just not interested in it.  Judging by the talk in this thread (or lack of it about girls hockey) I'm not alone in that sentiment.  Don't be mad at me that you are stuck watching girls hockey.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

LAWLZ, Brazil 

23 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Hockey is getting better all over the country.  ND is no exception.  USA Hockey's approach is working.  It might not win you hockey games, but it is definitely upping the skill level.

I attribute the rise in level of play to the internet.  Player development is dependent on having good coaching from the youngest ages on up.  Years ago, the traditional hockey playing states, the 3 M's, had the coaching because dad and grandpa knew the game and knew what to teach their kids.  In non-traditional hockey markets there were dad coaches who didn't know how to skate and had no clue how to run a practice.  I grew up in Iowa and was fortunate that we had a semi-pro USHL team and the kids I grew up playing with were the kids of those players who were originally from Toronto.  They knew hockey and knew how to teach us to play.  Other areas didn't have that.  Today you can go online and pull up a thousand different lesson plans or videos.  There is so much information available.  That sharing of information has elevated the level of play in no-traditional markets.

• Upvote 1