SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

42 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You are the most negative person on here.  Wtf?

Apparently that ain't so, based on your previous comments and my comments. I’ve never accepted the title of “most negative person on here”. I expanded on this "WTF?" situation detailing how strength of schedule is nearly impossible to predict this far out plus potential positive changes are coming to UND football. 

There is no way to know the exact difficulty of the schedule now. Some of those 2019 opponents could have surprisingly down years. You never know. Remember the 2017 UND football season?

I hate, absolutely HATE, when people limit a team's expectations before a single game is even played. It's my biggest pet peeve in football. Give UND a chance first to fill out it's 2019 roster and hire an offensive coordinator first my goodness. As of now, UND should plan to go 11-0. Why not? No reason we should be "planning to lose" already. 

Perceiving me as "the most negative person on here" is a bit misconceived. I have always said it as it is; I have no ulterior motive to purposely spew unsubstantiated negativity at UND football. In fact, it is quite the opposite. If you really want to waste time, go through the entirety of my posts detailing the UND football program. 

Ultimately, you can form whatever opinion you want, I suppose. But at this early juncture, I expect UND football to go 11-0. We'll see how it goes against Drake on 8/31/19 and then I'll reassess. 

I think you both:

1) still have catheters, or

2) are severely constipated, or

3) have an issue a good woman( or not so good woman) could take care of in 10 minutes.

chill out some of us have not had our morning coffee yet..

GO SIOUX and good hunting for replacement coaches!!

• Upvote 1

No FBS games but NDSU kindly slides in to provide the automatic loss.  After that who really knows.  However, make no mistake about it the only real difference between Mussman and Bubba at this point in their tenures is that Bubba is a likable guy that is good at shaking hands and slapping people on the backs.  Bubba is benefitting from the theory that you can get by for quite awhile focusing on the sizzle and not on the steak.  Problem is even the sizzle eventually turns to fizzle once people realize the underlying product is lacking.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

No FBS games but NDSU kindly slides in to provide the automatic loss.  After that who really knows.  However, make no mistake about it the only real difference between Mussman and Bubba at this point in their tenures is that Bubba is a likable guy that is good at shaking hands and slapping people on the backs.  Bubba is benefitting from the theory that you can get by for quite awhile focusing on the sizzle and not on the steak.  Problem is even the sizzle eventually turns to fizzle once people realize the underlying product is lacking.

This is so true.

40 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Fo shizzle. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Tangolou said:

This^^^^. I hate it when I hear coaches say after giving up a big return, "well our kick placement wasn't quite where we wanted it." Just kick the damn ball as far as you can, run down and tackle the guy with the ball. (i.e. with you shoulder AND your arms). It's not that complicated. If you need more than one page to show your kick coverage and punt block formations, you're overthinking it. There are plenty of all pro special teams players in the NFL that can't even read. "Hit the guy in front of you, ready.. GO!"

Why do we have to punt the ball down the middle?   Is our punter not able to angle their punts? 

A 60 yard punt with a 20 yard return = net of 40 yards.  Why not angle the punt to the sideline and out of bounds at 40 yards?   Out of bounds = no chance of a return for a touchdown.  Wouldn't that make more sense?

Well, we're here. And here is off-season and looking for an OC and a O line coach (so far). Do I expect other responsibility shuffles? Yes.

That said, here's what I see as homework for the off-season heading into 2019. 

1. Relook at strength and conditioning. I'm tired of the injuries; that is S&C related. 

2. The offensive line needs to be rebuilt. If you're not sure why the O line is important just look at the NAU game where the NAU D line spent the afternoon in the UND backfield. I don't put that game on Ketteringham or the RBs: You can't be effective when you have no O line blocking. 

3. A simplified, effective offense needs to be implemented. It's true so I'll say it: the model is 80 miles south. 

4. Ketteringham needs someone new in his ear. At the start of the year he went through receiver progressions and had some designed runs for him. By season end he was locking on and never taking off even when he should've. What changed? I'd say not the QB but what he was being told. 

5. Next season's schedule is ugly (@NDSU, @EWU, @Weber, host UCDavis). That said, if those teams don't drop off and UND picks off one or two of them and finishes 6-5 they'll be considered playoff worthy under the "UNI" (tough schedule) rule. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Note to DC Schmidt:

The focus now turns to you and the defense. Why? Any new OC gets a little first-year margin to get their stuff implemented which puts the magnifying glass on the defense. 

Yes.  While statistically the defense was average to good, perception is that they had a hard time getting off the field.  Get off the field, and let the offense go to work in its new scheme.

Just now, Dustin said:

Yes.  While statistically the defense was average to good, perception is that they had a hard time getting off the field.  Get off the field, and let the offense go to work in its new scheme.

The D was way better than average. This year's offense didn't do them any favors...nor did the special teams.

• Upvote 1

I still don't see them hiring from outside for the OC job. Bubba is the type of guy to recognize how long Fruend has been there and everything he has done for the program and give him the bump up. It is going to be a WR coach we are looking for, which would probably be the new OC's choice. 

1 minute ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I still don't see them hiring from outside for the OC job. Bubba is the type of guy to recognize how long Fruend has been there and everything he has done for the program and give him the bump up. It is going to be a WR coach we are looking for, which would probably be the new OC's choice. 

I have the same feeling but don't agree with it. Don't get me wrong I like Fruend and think he's done an amazing job with the WR's but he just doesn't have enough experience to get the job. What would have been nice is Rudy getting fired during the season and then Fruend getting interim OC. Then we could have seen what Freund is capable of. (Yeah I know that never would happen) UND needs to find someone with experience as an OC and also someone who as had SUCCESS! Not some NAIA coach or D2 coach that hasn't had much success...

5 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I'd be fine with that. Young, energetic, open to new concepts and not stuck in a certain way. Also understands the QB position very well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

So true - we've seen Backslapping Bubba, Rah Rah Bubba, and Sincere Bubba, but have not had a sighting of Take Charge of the Game Bubba or Flexible Bubba.  With him in charge we will always be the guys who won't go for it on 4th to give our team a chance to win.  The only changes he will make are the ones he is forced to make.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

I'd be fine with that. Young, energetic, open to new concepts and not stuck in a certain way. Also understands the QB position very well.

This is definitely one the things Fruend has going for him. But is it enough to gamble on especially in the position that bubba is in? Also have to take in consideration if Fruend leaves? Could he take a job as a coach at a D2 school somewhere? 

Just now, Irish said:

So true - we've seen Backslapping Bubba, Rah Rah Bubba, and Sincere Bubba, but have not had a sighting of Take Charge of the Game Bubba or Flexible Bubba.  With him in charge we will always be the guys who won't go for it on 4th to give our team a chance to win.  The only changes he will make are the ones he is forced to make.

I don't disagree with your characterization of Bubba. We also have to remember the team was 6-5(6-4 vs FCS) with an offense that was somewhere between bad and terrible, especially as the season was nearing its end.  With an average offense we are 8-3 and with a GOOD offense we are 10-1?  

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I don't disagree with your characterization of Bubba. We also have to remember the team was 6-5(6-4 vs FCS) with an offense that was somewhere between bad and terrible, especially as the season was nearing its end.  With an average offense we are 8-3 and with a GOOD offense we are 10-1?  

IMO the talent on the offensive side of the ball wasn't the main issue with this offense being "between bad and terrible". Schemes and play calling magnified our weaknesses offensively....it should have magnified the strengths. Can't coach, play call or scheme to what you don't do well  yet that was the case most of the year. The roster is what you have to deal with. Have to coach to the strengths of the players you have. John and Brady, one could argue, were one of the best RB tandems in the FCS (throw in JJ too) and there was no scheming or play calling for good chunks of the season to utilize their strengths.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, F'nHawks said:

Even if Freund isn't promoted to OC, would it make sense for him to take on QB coaching responsibilities as part of re-shuffling positions on the coaching staff?

"Promote" him to QBs and Special Teams Coordinator.  Kostich to WRs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

IMO the talent on the offensive side of the ball wasn't the main issue with this offense being "between bad and terrible". Schemes and play calling magnified our weaknesses offensively....it should have magnified the strengths. Can't coach, play call or scheme to what you don't do well  yet that was the case most of the year. The roster is what you have to deal with. Have to coach to the strengths of the players you have. John and Brady, one could argue, were one of the best RB tandems in the FCS (throw in JJ too) and there was no scheming or play calling for good chunks of the season to utilize their strengths.

Agree, it was schemes and play-calling and I would add in QB development.  We refused to use #5, #22, and #33 the way they should have been used and we managed to turn Kett into a disaster at QB by the final game.  Just refused to use TE's and to use the above RB's to their strengths consistently.  What OC would not have been up all night trying to figure out ways to get #22 the ball in space 10 times a game.  Do the KC Chiefs run Tyreek Hill into the line 5-10 times a game and then wonder why they can't score?

9 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Why is that?  Despite having great talent at running back, our offense was still mediocre at best.  We should have an older, bigger, and better OL next year, and we still have JJ.  Wanzek will be back, as will Izzy and Cam.  Our QB's will all have another year of experience.

On D we basically only lose Tank and Cieslak, but Ott will be back opposite mason bennett.  Nose is the only hole on the roster I'm really seeing.

Every team has some seniors that they have to replace, but most of our talent will be back, and there are always young guys that step in and surprise.

WR is a hole. As is qb until proven otherwise. Same with safety.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GoHawks said:

I have the same feeling but don't agree with it. Don't get me wrong I like Fruend and think he's done an amazing job with the WR's but he just doesn't have enough experience to get the job. What would have been nice is Rudy getting fired during the season and then Fruend getting interim OC. Then we could have seen what Freund is capable of. (Yeah I know that never would happen) UND needs to find someone with experience as an OC and also someone who as had SUCCESS! Not some NAIA coach or D2 coach that hasn't had much success...

really?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Pretty tough to pass on Fruend I am thinking, too.  Or at the very least, we have to find someone 'more qualified' than the guy in our back pocket.  There are many good reasons why high caliber former QB's make great coordinators.