SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

3 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

What is it about this offense in the last 5 seasons that makes an internal promotion such a no-brainer?  Is there some green notebook of plays we don't know about?  

Nothing in the last five years make me think i want to have someone else call plays in that offense. Ever talk to Danny? Or anyone that knows him well?  Offense wouldn’t look anything like the same scheme, design, or personnel. I just think he’s capable and deserving of a shot. 

8 minutes ago, BIGSIOUX said:

Nothing in the last five years make me think i want to have someone else call plays in that offense. Ever talk to Danny? Or anyone that knows him well?  Offense wouldn’t look anything like the same scheme, design, or personnel. I just think he’s capable and deserving of a shot. 

I have no reason to doubt any of that, which is encouraging. I’d have a tough time sticking around for five years if what your saying is true, but maybe that’s just me. 

23 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

I have no reason to doubt any of that, which is encouraging. I’d have a tough time sticking around for five years if what your saying is true, but maybe that’s just me. 

I'm sure meeting and then marrying a native Grand Forks girl along with coaching at your alma mater plays a part in having a bit more patience than one would normally have. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, BIGSIOUX said:

Yeah, I don't know how good he would be but just because he is a position coach on the same staff doesn't indicate what he would do if given control of the offense.  A lot of coaches would do things differently than coaches they work with but they need to show a united front publicly even if they don't agree with how things are being done.   

9 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Pretty tough to pass on Fruend I am thinking, too.  Or at the very least, we have to find someone 'more qualified' than the guy in our back pocket.  There are many good reasons why high caliber former QB's make great coordinators.  

Rudolph was also a former college QB...

While we’re at it, after switching Freund from receiver coach to quarterbacks coach/offensive coordinator, why don’t we switch Kostich to offensive line?

I absolutely hate this notion that internal reassignments are a good idea. I just don’t care how great of people they are or how great of former players they were at UND. 

UND football needs to new blood and outside ideas. It’s the only way this stale culture is cured. It is so important to recognize the culture here is apart of the issue, with of course the offensive scheme improving also. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

While we’re at it, after switching Freund from receiver coach to quarterbacks coach/offensive coordinator, why don’t we switch Kostich to offensive line?

I absolutely hate this notion that internal reassignments are a good idea. I just don’t care how great of people they are or how great of former players they were at UND. 

UND football needs to new blood and outside ideas. It’s the only way this stale culture is cured. It is so important to recognize the culture here is apart of the issue, with of course the offensive scheme improving also. 

Too inbred right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

"Promote" him to QBs and Special Teams Coordinator.  Kostich to WRs.

God this would be pathetic. Hope you’re joking. I’m missing the old arrangement already just thinking about this potential cluster f*ck of reassignments. The offensive guys on this staff are a apart of the issue and need outside ideas and culture to right the ship. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Rudolph was new blood. Bringing someone from the outside just because they are from the outside doesn't guarantee anything. 

2 hours ago, BigGame said:

Yeah, I don't know how good he would be but just because he is a position coach on the same staff doesn't indicate what he would do if given control of the offense.  A lot of coaches would do things differently than coaches they work with but they need to show a united front publicly even if they don't agree with how things are being done.   

Gino Gasparini was an assistant under Rube Bjorkman who was fired, and he turned out alright, and Dean Blais spent time under Gino, but not when he was fired.  It can work, as the outcry when Ned Harkness wasn't hired was deafening, and you didn't hear much about him after.

54 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

God this would be pathetic. Hope you’re joking. I’m missing the old arrangement already just thinking about this potential cluster f*ck of reassignments. The offensive guys on this staff are a apart of the issue and need outside ideas and culture to right the ship. 

Currently it's looking like Kostich will remain ST Coord. "Promoting" Freund to take over that role and QBs gives him a new job while being a promotion really in name only. More of a reassignment. And it gets ST out of Kostich's incapable hands. 

OC and OL would still be "fresh," the same as it appeared would happen yesterday afternoon when you were giving off the appearance of happiness for the first time in 18 months. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Single bar face masks were around, too. (Rudy in college, Mr. New Blood himself)

I thought my post mentioned either find someone more 'qualified' or go with a known commodity.  Qualified being subjective, but I am sure we'll figure it out on SiouxSports!!

As some have speculated, Fruend has a shot and if passed up he probably goes elsewhere to start calling plays.  If this happens I think he crushes it and we look like a bunch of dumbasses.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Currently it's looking like Kostich will remain ST Coord. "Promoting" Freund to take over that role and QBs gives him a new job while being a promotion really in name only. More of a reassignment. And it gets ST out of Kostich's incapable hands. 

OC and OL would still be "fresh," the same as it appeared would happen yesterday afternoon when you were giving off the appearance of happiness for the first time in 18 months. 

Well, I’m happy you think I was happy, I guess.

In the past 18 months, how has the quality of UND football been? I stand by my past comments and sentiments as UND football has been very poor over the past two seasons. It should be unacceptable relative to UND’s standards.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BIGSIOUX said:

I agree with this or I wouldn't be open to it.

59 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Obviously they need to have a successful track record. Rudolph clearly did not have that when hired in 2014. 

Disagree. He was a successful OC at St. Cloud and in fact that was part of what led Bubba to selecting him (it didn't translate, no need to hash that out). He was average as a head coach but came with 20+ years experience as a HC and OC. So he had experience, success calling plays and was new blood. Sounds like he'd check off a lot of boxes that people are clamoring for. 

Which makes my point that these "requirements" people are throwing out are pointless, there is going to be examples of success and failure with every requirement. Find the best person for the job, even if that means an internal promotion. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Disagree. He was a successful OC at St. Cloud and in fact that was part of what led Bubba to selecting him. He was average as a head coach but came with 20+ years experience as a HC and OC. So he had experience, success calling plays and was nee blood. Sounds like he'd check off a lot of boxes that people are clamoring for. 

Which makes my point that these "requirements" people are throwing out are pointless, there is going to be examples of success and failure with every requirement. Find the best person for the job, even if that means an internal promotion. 

Rudolph prior to Bubba hiring him: 

No DI experience.

No DII national championships as offensive coordinator or head coach.

Limited playoff experience as St. Cloud State offensive coordinator 

His past accomplishments were not and are not overly impressive. 

Also, I don’t agree on your “requirements” point. I hope you’re just trying to play devils advocate because you really seem quite off on this. UND needs to find someone who will come in with a new sense of excitement and expectation for the offense. So important after the previous 5 seasons of poor offense. Also, asking for previous success at the program the new OC and OL coach come from is not asking for too much. 

On 11/19/2018 at 8:55 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

I could be more disappointed - Bubba could've kept Rudolph and Knauf. 

I agree it would be ideal to have an entire new coaching staff led by a head coach with a great track record; however, considering Bubba wasn't going anywhere, this is the best scenario possible. Of course, we have to hope the next offensive coordinator is actually a major improvement. 

What happened between this post and now to make a reassignment of current staff duties (not OC or OL) a pathetic move? 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

What happened between this post and now to make a reassignment of current staff duties (not OC or OL) a pathetic move? 

Okay, I’ll play. Who coaches the WRs then? The new OC? Freund then at QB coach? I am fine with Freund going to QB coach as long as he and the new OC are on the same page. 

There’s a lot of ways to spin it. 

Minor concern is that Freund was on this staff the last 5 seasons but yet the offense was still horrific.

I’m going to just wait for the outside hires and/or internal promotions to actually happen and then I’ll give my opinion from there. UND needs a couple quality hires to ADD to the staff already in place.

All this talk of internal promotion amongst a staff that has shown incapability has been alarming to me. UND needs to use this opportunity to get better and more ambitious. 

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND needs to find someone who will come in with a new sense of excitement and expectation for the offense. So important after the previous 5 seasons of poor offense. 

Agree here, could be Fruend, could be 'new blood'.