SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

Evidence points to Freund as OC:

1. Bubba in press release said they want to "move as quickly as possible" - points to a candidate he has in mind. Repeated this on radio Monday evening as well.

2. If any "new blood" comes to UND, they will know Bubba is on thin ice --> hard to get a decent candidate from outside UND

3. If Freund is passed up for this job, he is likely gone, you can argue if that's good or not

I think he is a young, smart, energetic coach, who will likely bring his own ideas to the drawing board.

6 hours ago, Go Hawks said:

Evidence points to Freund as OC:

1. Bubba in press release said they want to "move as quickly as possible" - points to a candidate he has in mind. Repeated this on radio Monday evening as well.

2. If any "new blood" comes to UND, they will know Bubba is on thin ice --> hard to get a decent candidate from outside UND

3. If Freund is passed up for this job, he is likely gone, you can argue if that's good or not

I think he is a young, smart, energetic coach, who will likely bring his own ideas to the drawing board.

Why was the UND offense so poor despite Freund being on the offensive staff the past 5 seasons? If he had the answers, we would have seen it on the field.

And, of course, we certainly did not see those answers ever materialize; UND was never a consistent, competent offense - only isolated good games here and there.

39 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Why was the UND offense so poor despite Freund being on the offensive staff the past 5 seasons? If he had the answers, we would have seen it on the field.

And, of course, we certainly did not see those answers ever materialize; UND was never a consistent, competent offense - only isolated good games here and there.

Sometimes, in any organization, a person in a lesser position could do the boss's job, but plays the role of good soldier even as he sees the errors the boss is making. 

I see NO reason to lay any offensive issues on Freund. Of all the positions, WR's have developed nicely over the past few years. Wanzek is the best O player coming back and Maag will be a stud. They need to use the little guys more, but maybe he will if hired.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is just pure nonsense logic right here. You’re kidding right? 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Remember the OC was a man who had been a head coach for 15+ seasons before coming to UND. He was probably not to open to taking ideas from some young "kid". Also, as the WR coach I'm sure he knew where he stood and not to step on toes. That is his job. I would see the offense changing quite a bit if Fruend took over to involve the QB more as a game changer rather than a game manager

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

I must have missed the offensive coordinator title you seem to think Freund has had at UND the past 5 seasons. 

Should Agnew be fired because the QB and OLine sucked? Or should he instead be fired because his boss refused to get creative or use the assets correctly? 

1) Is Agnew being considered for the OC position?

2) Was Agnew on staff for all 5 seasons?

Answer to both: NO

56 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is just pure nonsense logic right here. You’re kidding right? 

No it needs to be considered. Of course Rudolph could have been so closed-minded that he didn’t listen to his staff around him, but my point still should be openely considered and not just ridiculed as the simpler thing to do. 

I guess I’m still somewhat scarred from the last major in-house promotion that occurred for UND football: Mussman to head coach in 2008 and Luke Schleusner to OC in 2013.

12 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Remember the OC was a man who had been a head coach for 15+ seasons before coming to UND. He was probably not to open to taking ideas from some young "kid". Also, as the WR coach I'm sure he knew where he stood and not to step on toes. That is his job. I would see the offense changing quite a bit if Fruend took over to involve the QB more as a game changer rather than a game manager

Now this is a reasonable response and is certainly possible. 

A lot will obviously be based on the other candidates who apply. 

My prediction is that whoever it is, won't be near good enough.  If they improve greatly, it will be a play here or a play there that he screwed up calling that cost them a game, a playoff spot, a playoff win or so on. 

Whoever gets this job will be whoever Bubba trusts the most with HIS job. This a 100% a make or break move for Bubba's time at UND football. I think Bubba is a great HC because I truly believe that the HC doesn't make near as much to do with the actual game prep and play calling as the OC and DC. Yep, from time to time he might override something, but look at any program in the country. It is all about who you get in to coach with you and help you be successful. This is why guys like Synder and Paterno can coach until they should be in retirement homes. They were great at finding guys they trusted and in Paterno's case he trusted one dude a little too long hahaha However, you get my point

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Whoever gets this job will be whoever Bubba trusts the most with HIS job. This a 100% a make or break move for Bubba's time at UND football.

Exactly. He has 3 years left on his contract, which means he probably 2 years to show some tangible, consistent success or he's out of a job. I don't think he's taking this hire lightly.

So, if someone is capable from within the program, (or any other business) isn't it logical to promote from within?  Let's take a look at Danny for a second.  Great enthusiasm, players like him (may play harder for him), relates well to players, his position group has been one of the better groups performance wise, great recruiter, and loves UND and GF.  I get that "new blood" would be fine too, but maybe Danny has some new ideas to bring to the table?  I wouldn't be surprised if new blood is hired, but wouldn't feel bad about Danny getting a shot at it.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

A position coach is going to have very little to say about overall scheme and virtually nothing to say about play-calling.  I am not necessarily a fan of moving Freund to OC, but not for these reasons.

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Exactly. He has 3 years left on his contract, which means he probably 2 years to show some tangible, consistent success or he's out of a job. I don't think he's taking this hire lightly.

Agree but I'd bet gfhockey's 401K that this program will looking for a new HC for the 2022 season.

1 hour ago, Nodak61 said:

So, if someone is capable from within the program, (or any other business) isn't it logical to promote from within?  Let's take a look at Danny for a second.  Great enthusiasm, players like him (may play harder for him), relates well to players, his position group has been one of the better groups performance wise, great recruiter, and loves UND and GF.  I get that "new blood" would be fine too, but maybe Danny has some new ideas to bring to the table?  I wouldn't be surprised if new blood is hired, but wouldn't feel bad about Danny getting a shot at it.  

The receiver position has not been great. I don’t buy that. How many all conference performers in his 5 seasons? How many complaints about depth and speed this season alone?

No need to boast this guy up more than deserved. He’s a great guy and former UND QB with great pride in UND but that’s all we know relating to being a division I OC. 

Lastly, anyone hired will have new ideas relative to Rudolph. 

1 hour ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Whoever gets this job will be whoever Bubba trusts the most with HIS job. This a 100% a make or break move for Bubba's time at UND football. I think Bubba is a great HC because I truly believe that the HC doesn't make near as much to do with the actual game prep and play calling as the OC and DC. Yep, from time to time he might override something, but look at any program in the country. It is all about who you get in to coach with you and help you be successful. This is why guys like Synder and Paterno can coach until they should be in retirement homes. They were great at finding guys they trusted and in Paterno's case he trusted one dude a little too long hahaha However, you get my point

So you must feel every HC that coaches at the collegiate level is a great HC or only those that are hands off and delegate? I guess I'm not following this reasoning. To the latter point of your reasoning being able to trust someone has nothing to do with competency. That's been validated for the past 5 years.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The receiver position has not been great. I don’t buy that. How many all conference performers in his 5 seasons? How many complaints about depth and speed this season alone?

No need to boast this guy up more than deserved. He’s a great guy and former UND QB with great pride in UND but that’s all we know relating to being a division I OC. 

Lastly, anyone hired will have new ideas relative to lowly Rudolph. 

This is my major concern about Freund. Obviously a great guy and the kids love him, but, if he is such a great recruiter and coach why does our wr group look like a church basketball league team?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is my major concern about Freund. Obviously a great guy and the kids love him, but, if he is such a great recruiter and coach why does our wr group look like a church basketball league team?

It's a tough to sell WR recruits on playing for a run-first offense?

Wanzek was a diamond in the rough and I'm pretty confident Maag was an absolute steal is and is going to be an absolute monster the next few years, you know, assuming they can get him the ball.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It's a tough to sell WR recruits on playing for a run-first offense?

Wanzek was a diamond in the rough and I'm pretty confident Maag was an absolute steal is and is going to be an absolute monster the next few years, you know, assuming they can get him the ball.

This is what gets me. How could you sell Rudy's offense to WR's or QB's? You're behind the grain. Then the scheme further hurts our ability. We pass on obvious passing downs, we pass into double and triple coverage, and we don't use schemes to put coverage into disadvantage. 

• Upvote 1