SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The receiver position has not been great. I don’t buy that. How many all conference performers in his 5 seasons? How many complaints about depth and speed this season alone?

No need to boast this guy up more than deserved. He’s a great guy and former UND QB with great pride in UND but that’s all we know relating to being a division I OC. 

Lastly, anyone hired will have new ideas relative to Rudolph. 

Not Freunds fault that Rudy didn't put more speed guys in. Had Izzy (when healthy), McKinney, and Greibel. And not to mention putting Santiago out in the slot....

I do agree with you though on getting someone from the outside with more experience as a D1 coach. Could Freund do it? Idk. I hope Bubba isn't ready to gamble on that in the position that he's in. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is my major concern about Freund. Obviously a great guy and the kids love him, but, if he is such a great recruiter and coach why does our wr group look like a church basketball league team?

I don’t think our WRs are bad.  Could be a deeper and also could use some creativity on offense to get them the ball in different positions   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Whoever gets this job will be whoever Bubba trusts the most with HIS job. This a 100% a make or break move for Bubba's time at UND football. I think Bubba is a great HC because I truly believe that the HC doesn't make near as much to do with the actual game prep and play calling as the OC and DC. Yep, from time to time he might override something, but look at any program in the country. It is all about who you get in to coach with you and help you be successful. This is why guys like Synder and Paterno can coach until they should be in retirement homes. They were great at finding guys they trusted and in Paterno's case he trusted one dude a little too long hahaha However, you get my point

The head coach is the guy who decides to turtle on every 4th and 1 situation though.

• Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is my major concern about Freund. Obviously a great guy and the kids love him, but, if he is such a great recruiter and coach why does our wr group look like a church basketball league team?

You must play in one hell of a church basketball league!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

FYP

True, but he had a long history of turtling practice that lead to this final big game performance.  I really wish we had a media person with guts enough to question him hard on this continued behavior.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Irish said:

True, but he had a long history of turtling practice that lead to this final big game performance.  I really wish we had a media person with guts enough to question him hard on this continued behavior.  

Agree on all points. 4th and short........started the season with the punt vs. U Dub in a game that wasn't winnable and ended with a punt in a game that was potentially winnable.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Wanzek catches everything and is a stud and Maag might be too.  Have a couple of speed guys in Adeoti and McKinney but need to figure out how to get them the ball in space.   Santiago in the slot would have changed the complexion too.  More of a usage thing in my eyes vs talent level.

ran into McKinney's dad in Flagstaff and he told me Cam runs a 4.34.  Not sure how accurate that is if true it should be fast enough.

The big knock on Studsrud is that he didn't have the arm and focused only on his primary receiver. Kett developed "happy feet" and focused on his primary receiver.  When faced with long yardage situations the opposing d-backs knew exactly where the play was going.

How is this the fault of the WR's? And their Coach.

Edited by LH Golfer
additional thought

I’m not against hiring somebody from the outside but I just don’t think people are being realistic about what we can get. If we get a great applicant, chances are, we are just a transition for him and he’s gone in a year. Of course what can our staff pick up from him in a year? That may be worth it as well. So many different scenarios for any of us to know what or who is the right choice. Not knowing jack about who the candidates are I’d say Freund is the best choice. Am I right? Probably not. 

1 hour ago, homer said:

I don’t think our WRs are bad.  Could be a deeper and also could use some creativity on offense to get them the ball in different positions   

They can’t separate. That’s job number one of a wr, get open. I’m tired of watching DBs guard our WRs with zero fear, jogging with them stride for stride. Jump balls and back shoulders are fine but you can’t rely on that all the time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Wanzek catches everything and is a stud and Maag might be too.  Have a couple of speed guys in Adeoti and McKinney but need to figure out how to get them the ball in space.   Santiago in the slot would have changed the complexion too.  More of a usage thing in my eyes vs talent level.

ran into McKinney's dad in Flagstaff and he told me Cam runs a 4.34.  Not sure how accurate that is if true it should be fast enough.

Love Wanzek and Maag but then we have a poor mans version of them about 4 times over on our roster. How does that help us win? How will that make opposing DCs stay up at night? We need more guys who can really run and are quick and can catch that are preferably around 6’.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Love Wanzek and Maag but then we have a poor mans version of them about 4 times over on our roster. How does that help us win? How will that make opposing DCs stay up at night? We need more guys who can really run and are quick and can catch that are preferably around 6’.

I think scheme and play-calling is incredibly important in the "perceived performance" and "danger-level" of our receivers.  It will probably be a long time before we have a back/slot? with the potential play-making ability of Santiago and we did very little with it.  NAU(Butler) had probably as athletic and dangerous a receiver as can exist in FCS and he had 2 catches against us for 65 yards.  

My point is having a dynamic offense takes many pieces, IMO with the guy we had in charge of assembling the puzzle it really didn't matter who the pieces were.

• Upvote 1

Something that doesn't help our receivers is the defense knowing that the routes UND runs are between 5-20 yards in general. There's very little deep threat that we posed late in the season. When Adeoti went down, the deep passing game mostly died out. Maag gave a bit of that and then hurt himself going deep. We never tried pushing downfield with McKinney, he was mostly utilized on jet sweeps. 

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

They can’t separate. That’s job number one of a wr, get open. I’m tired of watching DBs guard our WRs with zero fear, jogging with them stride for stride. Jump balls and back shoulders are fine but you can’t rely on that all the time.

Back to the problem of our entire offense.  It’s predictable.  I don’t know many WRs that would have had success when the defense consistently knew what was coming and the OL was not good enough to force attention on the run game.  

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, homer said:

Back to the problem of our entire offense.  It’s predictable.  I don’t know many WRs that would have had success when the defense consistently knew what was coming and the OL was not good enough to force attention on the run game.  

Sample of one but I will point to a healthy Clive Georges.

5 hours ago, Irish said:

The head coach is the guy who decides to turtle on every 4th and 1 situation though.

Of the plethora of poor coaching attributes you could hang on Bubba, you continually bring up the dumbest one, why? It's so easily debunked with stats. 

4th down conversions rate.

NDSU 5/6

Alabama 4/9

UND 5/14

We aren't where we need to be as a football program because we have failed to recruit, retain and develop dominant OL,WR's and QB's. We failed to put our best weapons in positions to succeed. All of these things are on the head coach. That's why we are in this position, not because we don't GO FOR IT on fourth down...Oh and Hawaii Is 19/35. When I think of great coaches, I think of what's his name from Hawaii, screw Nick Saban, he's a pussy....

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Sample of one but I will point to a healthy Clive Georges.

So is it the coordinator or the players?

I have gotten raked over the coals on this board in he past when i used the final few games of that season to say this offense can work.  

One could argue Izzy was on that path this season until injury. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

Of the plethora of poor coaching attributes you could hang on Bubba, you continually bring up the dumbest one, why? It's so easily debunked with stats. 

NDSU 5/6

Alabama 4/9

UND 5/14

Good teams get first downs on 3 plays. Thus don't need to go for it as much as UND (SDSU only had to go for it 6 times on the year).

Half those 4th downs are when UND has no choice but to go for it down 8 with 2 minutes left. :whistling:

Highly flying EWU is 8 of 21 on the year.

1 hour ago, Tangolou said:

NDSU 5/6

Alabama 4/9

UND 5/14

We aren't where we need to be as a football program because we have failed to recruit, retain and develop dominant OL,WR's and QB's. We failed to put our best weapons in positions to succeed. All of these things are on the head coach. That's why we are in this position, not because we don't GO FOR IT on fourth down...Oh and Hawaii Is 19/35. When I think of great coaches, I think of what's his name from Hawaii, screw Nick Saban, he's a pussy....

So you think it was a great decision in the first game against Washington - we're playing a ranked FBS school, down only 10-0 and we're moving the ball and decide to punt on their 40.  Or the last game punting on 4th down behind by 8 and never getting the ball back.  I stand by my criticism.  I am certainly not the only one here who thinks those decisions were wrong on many levels including team confidence - I may be among the most frustrated though.   And those "statistics" are meaningless unless you factor in the game situation.  Saban doesn't find himself in desperation having to go for a last minute 4th down Hail Mary very often - certainly not as often as we do.  Pulling out numbers without game situations attached is meaningless.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Good teams get first downs on 3 plays. Thus don't need to go for it as much as UND (SDSU only had to go for it 6 times on the year).

Half those 4th downs are when UND has no choice but to go for it down 8 with 2 minutes left. :whistling:

Highly flying EWU is 8 of 21 on the year.

That is exactly my point. The reason to criticize a coach is because you actually get to fourth down.

10 minutes ago, Irish said:

So you think it was a great decision in the first game against Washington - we're playing a ranked FBS school, down only 10-0 and we're moving the ball and decide to punt on their 40.  Or the last game punting on 4th down behind by 8 and never getting the ball back.  I stand by my criticism.  I am certainly not the only one here who thinks those decisions were wrong on many levels including team confidence - I may be among the most frustrated though.   

I guess my point is that I have never met a coach who isn't trying to win. I believe that every decision by Bubba to go for it or not is based on what HE believes is the best chance to win. The criticism should be that he lacks proper judgement not guts. Les Miles had guts and he got fired for it. It goes both ways.