Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Finn flick

Huskies Game & Negativity

Recommended Posts

Our UND team is going on a 3 hour flight to Wash with nothing to think about except losing the game by a huge margin and rehearsing all the negative comments of some of the fans. Would any of you naysayers want to go on a military mission with little or no backing from home? How sad and disheartening. An Army Ranger was undecided if he should tryout for the Rangers but his Mother encouraged (no I am not a mother of a team member) him. There were 60 guys trying out for 6 positions. He didn’t make it and told the other guys, “The Sgt does not know my mother”. The 6th guy picked had to drop out and so he made #6 after all. We can be that positive force and back our team and give them hope that anything is possible if we only believe. Every pass caught, every tackle and block perfectly executed, every field goal made. Let’s cheer them on and let them know we believe in them and just tell them, “You can do it, we are behind you, go Hawks!” If I lived there I would be at the Airport waving them on.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some people were just a bit underwhelmed in our opener, particularly by the defense in the first half.  That said, it gave the team a lot of things to work and focus on this week.  Also even though Washington is a tall task, we will all be rooting on our players and the team and watching.  Realistically us as fans are not expecting a win, but I know I'm expecting them to compete each and every play.  As a team you and coaching staff you do have to go into it with a mindset of winning and pulling of a big upset. Take it one play at a time, try and beat the man across from you, and don't ever quit.  They all lace up their shoes the same way, just play sound fundamental football and lay it all out there is all we ask, and is what I'm sure they will do.  I'm hoping some of our playmakers like Santiago, Brady and others make a few nice plays and we compete and put up a better performance than Montana did last year. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Bill the Dog said:

I'm guessing the final score will be similar to last year's Montana/Washington game.  Going with Washington 60-6.

Good to hear the bisonville opinion. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Finn flick said:

Our UND team is going on a 3 hour flight to Wash with nothing to think about except losing the game by a huge margin and rehearsing all the negative comments of some of the fans. Would any of you naysayers want to go on a military mission with little or no backing from home? How sad and disheartening. An Army Ranger was undecided if he should tryout for the Rangers but his Mother encouraged (no I am not a mother of a team member) him. There were 60 guys trying out for 6 positions. He didn’t make it and told the other guys, “The Sgt does not know my mother”. The 6th guy picked had to drop out and so he made #6 after all. We can be that positive force and back our team and give them hope that anything is possible if we only believe. Every pass caught, every tackle and block perfectly executed, every field goal made. Let’s cheer them on and let them know we believe in them and just tell them, “You can do it, we are behind you, go Hawks!” If I lived there I would be at the Airport waving them on.

Don't mistake an honest critique for lack of support/faith. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Don't mistake an honest critique for lack of support/faith. 

I know the difference; but when someone starts stating ridiculous scores even tho it could be reality it dos not bode well for the team to see or hear this stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the game of football, there’s alway a chance. As a UND fan, I’m sticking with UND, even if they are big underdogs. As I’ve said before, I expect effort-filled football for 60 minutes from UND and to then see what the results may be. I’ll be hoping for a win and living with whatever the results end up being. The team needs to approach it the same way.

Win or lose, get better from the opportunity and use it the rest of the season. 

All “UND fans” on here should be speaking more towards their hopes for a win rather than playing Nostradamus by trying to predict scores.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a staff and as a player, this is an ideal game. Playing on the road against a top-ranked FBS opponent. We are playing with house money. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. This is the game to let the dice roll, let your nuts hang and just go play football. For any kid on the team that aspired to play under the bright lights at the FBS level, on a Saturday in a rabid environment, this is your chance to make a name for your university, your family and yourself. This game will set the tone for the 2018 season, win or lose.

This is the game you knock the dog crap out of someone, score a TD or get your name in the stat sheet for sacks, forcing turnovers, etc. You remember why you play the game of football. Its about the spirit of competition. Bubba should show football related movies all week to inspire the guys. Studying UW film is waste of time. We should run our stuff, talk smack and smack the first person we see soon as we get off the bus with a smile on our faces. The goal should be to make UW say, damn those are some tough SOBs and we had to pay them $500K for them to come in our house and act like they own the place. Now if we manage to shock the world and get  win, that's cool too.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what score hawks fans would guess if valley city state played us this year. Would we expect to win by 50? I hope so. Is this a fair comparison? Heck, many thought we would win our first game by that much. 

We are big underdogs and to say so isn’t putting us down - my humble opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Don't mistake an honest critique for lack of support/faith. 

For sure.

Just as we played down a little to our week #1 opponent we will play up to our week #2 opponent.  It might sound odd, you should play your hardest all the time, right?  But it is undeniably different playing Morningside one week, then No. Colorado the next.  (Back in the day when UNC was really good)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

As a staff and as a player, this is an ideal game. Playing on the road against a top-ranked FBS opponent. We are playing with house money. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. This is the game to let the dice roll, let your nuts hang and just go play football. For any kid on the team that aspired to play under the bright lights at the FBS level, on a Saturday in a rabid environment, this is your chance to make a name for your university, your family and yourself. This game will set the tone for the 2018 season, win or lose.

This is the game you knock the dog crap out of someone, score a TD or get your name in the stat sheet for sacks, forcing turnovers, etc. You remember why you play the game of football. Its about the spirit of competition. Bubba should show football related movies all week to inspire the guys. Studying UW film is waste of time. We should run our stuff, talk smack and smack the first person we see soon as we get off the bus with a smile on our faces. The goal should be to make UW say, damn those are some tough SOBs and we had to pay them $500K for them to come in our house and act like they own the place. Now if we manage to shock the world and get  win, that's cool too.

Believe me, we will watch a lot of film, looking for small advantages to create.  Other than that, good speech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Believe me, we will watch a lot of film, looking for small advantages to create.  Other than that, good speech.

I know we will watch film no matter what I say on here. What they will do is no big secret. After watching the Auburn game, they will want to do what they did last week (in their mind) against a lesser opponent to build faith and trust with their players and to get them to trust their system. That's football 101.My post was more about the attitude that we should have going into a game like this. I read talk about folks being negative on the board earlier. There is nothing to be negative about in my opinion and the players should be pumped for this game no matter what posters say on the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I know we will watch film no matter what I say on here. What they will do is no big secret. After watching the Auburn game, they will want to do what they did last week (in their mind) against a lesser opponent to build faith and trust with their players and to get them to trust their system. That's football 101.My post was more about the attitude that we should have going into a game like this. I read talk about folks being negative on the board earlier. There is nothing to be negative about in my opinion and the players should be pumped for this game no matter what posters say on the forum.

I hear ya!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only hope is that the players and coaching staff is preparing with the plan to go there and bring home the W.   Too many times the team is defeated before they get off the bus.  I'm sure Washington will be over looking us to some extent.

As a fan I want to see them play hard tell the end and put a scare in them.  I want the their fans to be disappointed at the end of the game.

They will not play a better team or in a louder stadium than this weekend., both in regular season and hopefully playoffs.  Need to use to our advantage starting next week.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Big Green said:

My only hope is that the players and coaching staff is preparing with the plan to go there and bring home the W.   Too many times the team is defeated before they get off the bus.  I'm sure Washington will be over looking us to some extent.

As a fan I want to see them play hard tell the end and put a scare in them.  I want the their fans to be disappointed at the end of the game.

They will not play a better team or in a louder stadium than this weekend., both in regular season and hopefully playoffs.  Need to use to our advantage starting next week.

 

After the Auburn results I don't think this will be the case.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

As a staff and as a player, this is an ideal game. Playing on the road against a top-ranked FBS opponent. We are playing with house money. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. This is the game to let the dice roll, let your nuts hang and just go play football. For any kid on the team that aspired to play under the bright lights at the FBS level, on a Saturday in a rabid environment, this is your chance to make a name for your university, your family and yourself. This game will set the tone for the 2018 season, win or lose.

This is the game you knock the dog crap out of someone, score a TD or get your name in the stat sheet for sacks, forcing turnovers, etc. You remember why you play the game of football. Its about the spirit of competition. Bubba should show football related movies all week to inspire the guys. Studying UW film is waste of time. We should run our stuff, talk smack and smack the first person we see soon as we get off the bus with a smile on our faces. The goal should be to make UW say, damn those are some tough SOBs and we had to pay them $500K for them to come in our house and act like they own the place. Now if we manage to shock the world and get  win, that's cool too.

Love your comments.... could you apply for the next AD opening? President? Old guy comments putvys on track just like an old woman comment....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Don't mistake an honest critique for lack of support/faith. 

Also, the opposite of love is not hate.....it's apathy. The fact our fans are disappointed in what happened last year and how we looked last week against an over-matched opponent tells you that we have a fan base that cares about the program and it's success.

If people didn't care, that would be a problem.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

After the Auburn results I don't think this will be the case.  

I disagree. UND is FCS. Washington is top 10 FBS and hung with a top 10 Auburn team in basically a road game; Washington is expecting to blow UND out by 50+.

With that said, UND still needs to play a very smart, physical football game to prevent a blowout from happening. Washington, with the homefield advantage, is definitely talented enough to get away with overlooking UND if UND doesn’t play a clean game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Irish said:

This - To be brutally honest our program has been wandering in the wilderness for quite a long time while the knuckleheads to the south have had unprecedented success.  We are desperately wanting to compete again.  That's why a sloppy win isn't satisfying.  We really want to see an assignment sharp, hard hitting, crisp football team with schemes to match our personnel.  That's why fans have been so hard on the team.  It's time (and I'm not saying that can't be the rest of this season) - starting with this week.  

 

Boom, nailed it!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×