SiouxSports.com Forum

Sam Houston

Nodak78

24 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Those polls are garbage. No way UNI should be ranked and UC David not even cracking the top 25.

They are definitely garbage at the beginning of the year.  They shouldn't even do a poll until at least 3-4 games in.  Some teams play D2 teams or FBS teams in the first game or two, it's really hard to tell much of anything.  And if you are lucky enough to get ranked high before the season starts, you can still remain in the rankings with a loss.  While if you don't start ranked, it's an uphill battle to get in.  And when it comes to playoff time sometimes perception is reality, if you are ranked....you are more likely to get in.  I am hoping that after this year we will start future seasons already in the rankings, like we did last year, and be able to use that to our advantage.  IMO we should always be in the rankings to start the year and of course the goal is to consistently be a Top 10 team or better.  

I have real good feelings about this game. If we can shut down UW then I’m not worried at all about any FCS team. The UW QB is way more talented than the Sam H QB so that should give our secondary more of an advantage. Their QB was also interception prone so I expect the return of the ball hawks in this game! If we can pick UW 2 times I expect us to be able to do that against any team in the FCS. I think we will be able to shut their run game down and I have a feeling our secondary will step up and do a great job against the pass.

As for the other side of the ball we know we can run the ball and prefer to. Their defense was very poor against the run and I expect us to exploit this weakness to its full extent. They know we are going to run the ball but that won’t stop us. If we can get some key passing plays we can make this a long game for Sam Houston.

the only thing that can derail us is more injuries, we need to get healthy and stay healthy because I have much confidence in our two deep.

34-21 UND wins 

3 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I have real good feelings about this game. If we can shut down UW then I’m not worried at all about any FCS team. The UW QB is way more talented than the Sam H QB so that should give our secondary more of an advantage. Their QB was also interception prone so I expect the return of the ball hawks in this game! If we can pick UW 2 times I expect us to be able to do that against any team in the FCS. I think we will be able to shut their run game down and I have a feeling our secondary will step up and do a great job against the pass.

As for the other side of the ball we know we can run the ball and prefer to. Their defense was very poor against the run and I expect us to exploit this weakness to its full extent. They know we are going to run the ball but that won’t stop us. If we can get some key passing plays we can make this a long game for Sam Houston.

the only thing that can derail us is more injuries, we need to get healthy and stay healthy because I have much confidence in our two deep.

34-21 UND wins 

I’m not sure the UW qb is WAY better then sams qb.  Sams qb was one of the top qbs in the east coast out of high school that started his career at Rutgers. I would say Sams starting WRs are on par with UW starting WRs talent wise.  I will say more speed with Sams 

Saying that und “shutdown” UW is a optimist view.  They looked very good and kept UW in-check for nearly 3qtrs but they still gave up 24 points at that point and had some nice offensive plays.  Very impressed with und D just not sure they shut them down.  

Unds run D will take care of business vs Sam.  Noah and Tanks injuries are unfortunate.   Having them in the middle is a definite plus so if they miss this game that will hurt....but there is comfortable  depth at those positions.  

Unds offense on the other hand ...... they can make a porous D look dang good.  Simple tactic ....they stack the box against und like every other opposing D.   CBs man up on the slow WRs, safeties drop down and worry about Santiago at the line.  

Santiago’s pure talent makes up for Rudy’s offensive deficiencies...... some of the time.  See if he can in this game.  If he can ....und stands a chance to keep pace if the score warrants it.   Brady still might be banged up . Big loss with Tobin possibly out.    

Und cannot comfortably rely on its ST units.  That’s the major eye watcher in this game.  That would mean that Rudy would have decisions to make.....ugh....

Und definitely can win but will take an all around effort. 

My gut tells me that there will be a score or two by the D or a combination of D /ST return  

Und 35-34. 

15 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

I’m not sure the UW qb is WAY better then sams qb.  Sams qb was one of the top qbs in the east coast out of high school that started his career at Rutgers. I would say Sams starting WRs are on par with UW starting WRs talent wise.  I will say more speed with Sams 

Saying that und “shutdown” UW is a optimist view.  They looked very good and kept UW in-check for nearly 3qtrs but they still gave up 24 points at that point and had some nice offensive plays.  Very impressed with und D just not sure they shut them down.  

Unds run D will take care of business vs Sam.  Noah and Tanks injuries are unfortunate.   Having them in the middle is a definite plus so if they miss this game that will hurt....but there is comfortable  depth at those positions.  

Unds offense on the other hand ...... they can make a porous D look dang good.  Simple tactic ....they stack the box against und like every other opposing D.   CBs man up on the slow WRs, safeties drop down and worry about Santiago at the line.  

Santiago’s pure talent makes up for Rudy’s offensive deficiencies...... some of the time.  See if he can in this game.  If he can ....und stands a chance to keep pace if the score warrants it.   Brady still might be banged up . Big loss with Tobin possibly out.    

Und cannot comfortably rely on its ST units.  That’s the major eye watcher in this game.  That would mean that Rudy would have decisions to make.....ugh....

Und definitely can win but will take an all around effort. 

My gut tells me that there will be a score or two by the D or a combination of D /ST return  

Und 35-34. 

Jake Browning has been a Heisman finalist... 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Hambone said:

I'm typically not one to go over to other fan message boards, but surprised no other UND fans have chimed in over there (although I see lakes and TAB have hit the thread in expected fashion).......

I hope the answer is no and I'm sure nobody knows, but there's not UND fans that go on NDSU opponents boards and spam them with comments, right? I can't get over that those two are on a SHSU board this week. 

• Upvote 2

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=211771650

Some interesting notes from Sam Houston's 42-32 victory in week one.

• Sam Houston took full advantage of the Panthers’ mistakes on Saturday, forcing 3 turnovers and having 4 drives start inside Prairie View territory. The Kats converted each of those 4 drives into points, scoring touchdowns three times and kicking a field goal on the final play of the first half after a botched PV punt gave the Kats the ball on the 2-yard line with only 2 seconds left in the half.
  • The Kats held the Panthers to just 1 of 14 conversions on third down. That is in line with last year when SHSU was ranked in the top 20 of the FCS, allowing just 32.9 percent of its opponents’ third-down tries to be converted.

Easier said than done obviously, but if UND can (1) Keep turnovers limited (2) Convert on 3rd down, that will go a long way on Saturday. Based on those two notes above, it's pretty shocking it was only a 10 point game. 

Edit: Just watched the breakdown video they have on their site and 2 of the turnovers were caused by terrible special teams plays by Prarie View. The first one, the snap sailed over the punters head which gave the Kats the ball at the five yard line (scored TD). The second the punter didn't field the ball and fumbled it giving the Kats the ball inside the 5 with 2 seconds left in the half (FG). 

27 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Watched part of their last game and they have a ton of speed on both sides of the ball. We’re going to struggle to cover their WR group. Misdirection plays could kill them though, get the speed flyin in the wrong direction.

How Prairie View look for speed in comparison to them/us?

Hello folks.  Bearkat (yes, bearkat with a K) fan here.   I look forward to seeing a good game between our beloved schools and hope each team comes away without any serious injuries.    Here is a link to video clip of the Kats' game last week.   You will encounter a lot of speed on both defense and offense.   It will be an entertaining game I am sure.

link:

http://vod.cdn.xosnetwork.com/video104/IGMVDLDJTQPQTTS.20180909223131.mp4?e=1536847420&h=1d584e7667052e8be79d9dc5d1d48cba&uid=0000&oem_id=19900&event=5897367_vod_FBHighlightsvsPVU

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, The Pod said:

Hello folks.  Bearkat (yes, bearkat with a K) fan here.   I look forward to seeing a good game between our beloved schools and hope each team comes away without any serious injuries.    Here is a link to video clip of the Kats' game last week.   You will encounter a lot of speed on both defense and offense.   It will be an entertaining game I am sure.

link:

http://vod.cdn.xosnetwork.com/video104/IGMVDLDJTQPQTTS.20180909223131.mp4?e=1536847420&h=1d584e7667052e8be79d9dc5d1d48cba&uid=0000&oem_id=19900&event=5897367_vod_FBHighlightsvsPVU

Welcome.

Care to explain why it is a "kat" instead of "cat"?

Excited to see how our team stacks up against yours.

5 minutes ago, The Pod said:

link:

Should be a fun game. Saturday can't get here soon enough!

4 minutes ago, The Pod said:

link:

Welcome to the board! Watched the video (wow for speed), talented WR. Excited to see what UND can do against a talented SHSU team.