SiouxSports.com Forum

Sam Houston

Nodak78

3 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Any updates on the injury list? 

This is the only tidbit from UND360 today.

• There is a chance that Matt Waletzko gets his first start this weekend at RT.  We will have the full Who’s In/Who’s Out on the Tailgate Show starting at 4pm on Saturday.

Waletzko was one of the players listed on the Sept. 11th update. Not sure if Helgren is knicked up or if Waletzko has passed him on the depth chart. Miller said that Oliviera practiced yesterday so I'm sure he'll be ready to go (along with him testing it a few plays against Washington). 

Right now, I think we have questions on the following:

• Offensively:
    • Questionsable:
      • Tobin
    • Unlikely:
      • Nyuon, Greibel (both haven't played a game yet)
  • Defensively:
    • Questionable:
      • Larson, Tank, Lawrence, Nelson, Ommerman (final 3 haven't played yet this year)
    • Unlikely:
      • Gordon (Hasn't played this year)

If you look at the Washington game, I believe the only two that played last week that are questionable this week are Tobin / Larson. Tank played week 1, but not week 2. Those three are such key pieces, but given the others haven't played this year and it sounds like Nelson, Lawrence & possibly Ommerman could be ready to go, although not ideal, the injury situation isn't really that bad. 

Sept 11th report:

• No major injuries to report from the Washington game that we know of. However, knicks and bruises have piled up a bit. Concerned about Ryan Tobin’s availability at LG this week. Matt Waletzko injured his hand as well. Might be some shuffling this week up front. On defense, hoping to get Lenny Nelson back this week. Tank Harris is still a question mark at this point. Our biggest concern is the availability of LB Noah Larson, who played extremely well until he left the game in the 3rd quarter and did not return. We believe his is a leg injury.
  • We have heard there is a chance that safety Chivaldo Van Ommeren will be cleared this week and could travel to SHSU.

11 hours ago, ND1 said:

Last week vs P5 FBS Washington, we held their hyped up  Heisman QB and potential NFL receivers in check for 3 quarters and stopped their rushing game.  We picked off 2 passes and had  great pressure on Jake Browning for 3 quarters... which lead to the fans booing at halftime!

SH is fast, but not a P5 FBS playoff contender fast.  We held our own last week and shall again this week!

Same ol song and dance.   In bubba years ...the D looks fantastic to began the game.  They are well prepared and execute accordingly.  The offense does zero.  Because the offense does absolutely nothing the D succumbs to minutes. Game after game. They didn’t save this for just Washington ....it’s every &$^%@& game. Five years!! The D held it together for 3 qtrs this game.  

Does rushing for 202 yards at a 5.7 ave qualify as stopping their run game?? Could of been much better if the offense would do something to relieve the D.    But that will never be.  Game after game    

Two INTs were great as was the pressure  

Browning is the same kind of  heisman candidate that Ryan leaf was.   It’s all the system.  

Sam’s WR are faster/quicker then Washington WR.    Btw ...who’s the potential nfl receivers for Washington?  

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Sam’s WR are faster/quicker then Washington WR.    Btw ...who’s the potential nfl receivers for Washington?  

Is this seriously something people think? Sam Houston has better receivers than Washington?

Not a knock on SHSU's players, their numbers speak for themselves (albeit at the FCS level, playing an uptempo spread offense in a weaker conference) but Chico McClatcher is a more explosive player than anyone SHSU has.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Same ol song and dance.   In bubba years ...the D looks fantastic to began the game.  They are well prepared and execute accordingly.  The offense does zero.  Because the offense does absolutely nothing the D succumbs to minutes. Game after game. They didn’t save this for just Washington ....it’s every &$^%@& game. Five years!! The D held it together for 3 qtrs this game.  

Does rushing for 202 yards at a 5.7 ave qualify as stopping their run game?? Could of been much better if the offense would do something to relieve the D.    But that will never be.  Game after game    

Two INTs were great as was the pressure  

Browning is the same kind of  heisman candidate that Ryan leaf was.   It’s all the system.  

Washington’s players are better than Sam Houston State’s players at every level.

But I do agree with you on UND’s deficiencies and philosophical issues under Bubba. Defense consistently has played great, but they do wear out a lot with the offense doing absolutely nothing. More reason for the offense to try and be aggressive in the first quarter: deep shots, counters, trick plays, etc. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Is this seriously something people think? Sam Houston has better receivers than Washington?

Not a knock on SHSU's players, their numbers speak for themselves (albeit at the FCS level, playing an uptempo spread offense in a weaker conference) but Chico McClatcher is a more explosive player than anyone SHSU has.

We have two All Americans at WR.    UND will be very surprised at how talented these WRs, perhaps realizing they are better than a mid tier PAC 12 team UND played last weekend.  

9 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Better....not sure.  Faster/ quicker....yes.  I believe that Sams starting WRs are quicker/faster then Washington’s starting WRs 

Just because they are “fcs level”, as you mentioned, doesn’t excuse them from being talented (Wentz, David Johnson....etc).  I would say the fcs combo of Hardin and Galloday would of rivaled a few fbs teams starters.  

Unds secondary will have its hands full with Sams WRs. Need the front 7 to get push and constantly disrupt their qb to help out the guys in the backend. Their HC is trying to rope und into thinking they will run the ball much more then in the past.  Don’t buy it.  He knows unds strength is against the run and have been suspect vs the pass. Weather permitting ....they will be flinging the ball all over.  Und needs  to be in Sams backfield all day.  Have zero confidence in the offense ....but they should be able (hoping) to do enough to move the ball to rest up the D.  We shall see 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Better....not sure.  Faster/ quicker....yes.  I believe that Sams starting WRs are quicker/faster then Washington’s starting WRs 

Just because they are “fcs level”, as you mentioned, doesn’t excuse them from being talented (Wentz, David Johnson....etc).  I would say the fcs combo of Hardin and Galloday would of rivaled a few fbs teams starters.  

Unds secondary will have its hands full with Sams WRs. Need the front 7 to get push and constantly disrupt their qb to help out the guys in the backend. Their HC is trying to rope und into thinking they will run the ball much more then in the past.  Don’t buy it.  He knows unds strength is against the run and have been suspect vs the pass. Weather permitting ....they will be flinging the ball all over.  Und needs  to be in Sams backfield all day.  Have zero confidence in the offense but they should be able to move the ball.  We shall see 

I know our HC, KC Keeler, is very concerned about UND's rushing attack, so I would not be surprised if he puts 8 in the box on Saturday and dares UND to throw the ball.   This is a very intriguing matchup that I am excited to see!

7 minutes ago, The Pod said:

We have two All Americans at WR.    UND will be very surprised at how talented these WRs, perhaps realizing they are better than a mid tier PAC 12 team UND played last weekend.  

https://pac-12.com/article/2018/07/25/washington-picked-pac-12-favorite-media-preseason-poll

WASHINGTON was chosen the favorite to win the 2018 Pac-12 Conference football title in a vote of 42 media members who cover Pac-12 football. The Huskies received 37 votes to earn the preseason nod over defending Pac-12 Champion USC.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, The Pod said:

I’ve seen enough film on them to say they will be the best set of WRs und will face.  Very quick and great route runners.  Any open space and they’re gone.  It’s just up to the qb to get them the ball 

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not quite the powerhouse conferVence like the almighty Southland, but its alright!! :wink:

very true, but same source of recruits is what my point is.    Many of our KATS have received offers to play in the powerful SEC conference, but for reasons such as grades, etc, they ended up at SHSU.

12 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Unds secondary will have its hands full with Sams WRs. Need the front 7 to get push and constantly disrupt their qb to help out the guys in the backend. Their HC is trying to rope und into thinking they will run the ball much more then in the past.  Don’t buy it.  He knows unds strength is against the run and have been suspect vs the pass. Weather permitting ....they will be flinging the ball all over.  Und needs  to be in Sams backfield all day.  Have zero confidence in the offense but they should be able to move the ball.  We shall see 

9 minutes ago, The Pod said:

I know our HC, KC Keeler, is very concerned about UND's rushing attack, so I would not be surprised if he puts 8 in the box on Saturday and dares UND to throw the ball.   This is a very intriguing matchup that I am excited to see!

And this is the ball game.  Sam H. will not have a balanced attack against us, expect an air raid.  And I am guessing Sam H. has zero respect for our passing attack.  When Santiago is in the backfield, expect heavy run blitze.  If we are not anticipating or countering we lose by 3 TDs.  Can't wait for game time.  Big game, big impact on our program.  Many that are on the fence right now, UND football fans, will be watching closely!!

• Like 1

Saturday
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 90. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Saturday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 74. Calm wind.

From the NWS Houston office. 

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

And this is the ball game.  Sam H. will not have a balanced attack against us, expect an air raid.  And I am guessing Sam H. has zero respect for our passing attack.  When Santiago is in the backfield, expect heavy run blitze.  If we are not anticipating or countering we lose by 3 TDs.  Can't wait for game time.  Big game, big impact on our program.  Many that are on the fence right now, UND football fans, will be watching closely!!

Und SHOULD shut down their run game and make them one dimensional.   It’s that one dimensional factor (pass D)that  und needs to win. 

Und needs to be aggressive from the get go, not only defensively but more importantly offensively.  Will or can they be aggressive offensively?   Cmon Rudy!! 

Many different angles or intangibles involved with this game.  

Cant wait for the game either. 

47 minutes ago, The Pod said:

I don't think anyone is going to be surprised on how talented they are. They are very good receivers, their numbers and accolades are out there and no doubt they could be the determining factor in the game if UND's secondary struggles. Just stating that we need to pump the brakes a bit before stating they are better than UW's WR, which is just a bit better than a "mid tier Pac 12" team.

• Upvote 1