SiouxSports.com Forum

Sam Houston

Nodak78

2 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Welcome.

Care to explain why it is a "kat" instead of "cat"?

Excited to see how our team stacks up against yours.

Source:  https://www.shsu.edu/dept/student-activities/tradition.html

Early references to "Bearkats" spelled the name either "Bearcats", "Bear Cats" or "Bearkats". A bearcat actually is a kinkajou, a carnivorous mammal native to South America 10 to 12 inches in length with whiskers like a cat that sits up on its hind haunches like a bear. A nocturnal creature, it is known to be ferocious if provoked. 

It is doubtful those who coined the "Bearkat" nickname had a kinkajou in mind, however. More likely, the name came from a popular local saying of the time, "tough as a Bearkat!" 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, The Pod said:

Source:  https://www.shsu.edu/dept/student-activities/tradition.html

Early references to "Bearkats" spelled the name either "Bearcats", "Bear Cats" or "Bearkats". A bearcat actually is a kinkajou, a carnivorous mammal native to South America 10 to 12 inches in length with whiskers like a cat that sits up on its hind haunches like a bear. A nocturnal creature, it is known to be ferocious if provoked. 

It is doubtful those who coined the "Bearkat" nickname had a kinkajou in mind, however. More likely, the name came from a popular local saying of the time, "tough as a Bearkat!" 

We better finish this game before nightfall.:D

2 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Welcome to the board! Watched the video (wow for speed), talented WR. Excited to see what UND can do against a talented SHSU team.

Big concern, as in the case with all of our deep playoff runs, is how our Defense stacks up against the run.   Our run defense has been horrible over the years

4 minutes ago, The Pod said:

Big concern, as in the case with all of our deep playoff runs, is how our Defense stacks up against the run.   Our run defense has been horrible over the years

Well its no surprise that UND is going to want to run the ball. Im worried about our secondary with SHSU speedy WR and our offense with well our Offensive Coordinator.....

9 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Well its no surprise that UND is going to want to run the ball. Im worried about our secondary with SHSU speedy WR and our offense with well our Offensive Coordinator.....

If this plays out, UND rushing the ball at will and Kats throwing the ball at will, then it turn out to be a very high scoring game.    

1 minute ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Sam Houston fans:  we have more in common than you think.  UND fans have watched your team (and if they are like me, cheered HEAVILY) against NDSU in the playoffs.  You let us down a few times!!!  ;)

Believe me when I say, our Coach is designing a team to beat NDSU and win a natty.   Will it be there year?  Who knows.   But I feel we are getting closer with the talent he has been able to bring to Huntsville, Tx.    KC Keeler has been recruiting nationally over the past 3 years, which will help in making this team better in the long term.   

1 hour ago, The Pod said:

Hello folks.  Bearkat (yes, bearkat with a K) fan here.   I look forward to seeing a good game between our beloved schools and hope each team comes away without any serious injuries.    Here is a link to video clip of the Kats' game last week.   You will encounter a lot of speed on both defense and offense.   It will be an entertaining game I am sure.

link:

http://vod.cdn.xosnetwork.com/video104/IGMVDLDJTQPQTTS.20180909223131.mp4?e=1536847420&h=1d584e7667052e8be79d9dc5d1d48cba&uid=0000&oem_id=19900&event=5897367_vod_FBHighlightsvsPVU

Same “The Pod” as on AGS?

1 hour ago, GoHawks said:

This means we will have to get to their QB early and often and not give him enough time to find open receivers.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Watched part of their last game and they have a ton of speed on both sides of the ball. We’re going to struggle to cover their WR group. Misdirection plays could kill them though, get the speed flyin in the wrong direction.

I hope Brady is healthy for this game.  If we can't out run them, Brady might just have to run right over them.  I'm hoping there is good news about the dings with our OL and they can play.  

2 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Sam Houston fans:  we have more in common than you think.  UND fans have watched your team (and if they are like me, cheered HEAVILY for SHSU) against NDSU in the playoffs.  You let us down a few times!!!  ;)

I agree with the a lot in common as far as fan bases.  I think SHSU is probably the only other team that gets ripped on more on the FCS Fans Nation page on FB than UND.  Both of our teams and fan bases are very eager to stick it to some of those other teams and fan bases, I know I am! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ND1 said:

Last week vs P5 FBS Washington, we held their hyped up  Heisman QB and potential NFL receivers in check for 3 quarters and stopped their rushing game.  We picked off 2 passes and had  great pressure on Jake Browning for 3 quarters... which lead to the fans booing at halftime!

SH is fast, but not a P5 FBS playoff contender fast.  We held our own last week and shall again this week!

Agreed. I may be wrong here but I do not ever recall John being caught from behind like that. #7 for Washington can fly!