SiouxSports.com Forum

Sam Houston

Nodak78

On 9/2/2018 at 12:01 AM, nodak651 said:

The band should sing/play this after it happens

Man you are on to something here... I do costumes and would gladly sew up a few for a danceline / cheerleader routine! Love playing that theme song and a little dancing with a kick every time they have a 4th down kick!

Who will measure the girls and send me the measurements? I have enough fabric and patterns in the basement... I am good at designing costumes.... hats with some fruit too?

• Upvote 3

I am looking at the Sam Houston game as an opportunity for the program as a whole to prove that the 2016 season was no fluke.  I've always been in the camp that Bubba has had had this program on the right track overall.  He made this team better each season since he got there until the injury filled season of 2017.  I felt that despite the team's improvement from 2014-16, the depth just still wasn't there to overcome what happened last season.  Hopefully I'm proven right this Saturday.

Sam Houston is a quality team, and honestly a poor matchup for UND.  But they are also a typical "soft" and "finesse" team that are so common in today's day and age of spread offenses.  This is the type of team we should be able to beat any time of year, but it needs to happen on the field.

North Dakota 37

SHSU 31

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

This is the issue here. Und is going to need to score 25+ points to have a chance in this one. Not sure a Rudy O can accomplish that against a half-decent defense. 

You know they are going to stack the box and make us score throwing the football.  Can we do it?

• Like 1

Just now, SiouxFan100 said:

I think we are capable of having a passing attack. We are supposed to be deep at the quarterback position. With time to throw I think we can be successful 

I really like the QB.  I like our WR.  Next week is their chance to win us a game. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I think we are capable of having a passing attack. We are supposed to be deep at the quarterback position. With time to throw I think we can be successful 

The receivers are the issue in my opinion; no ability to separate, at least with the primary 3 players that Rudolph and Freund play consistently.

56 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

This is the issue here. Und is going to need to score 25+ points to have a chance in this one. Not sure a Rudy O can accomplish that against a half-decent defense. 

I agree the offense is still an unknown commodity at this point.   But again I say that we are on track to have a season more similar to 2016 than 2017.   This team showed the ability to score some points from time to time in '16.  It will take all cogs of the machine working together of course.  

I'm really encouraged by 7 sacks against MVSU and forcing two turnovers against a Top 10 FBS program.  We run the type of offense that benefits from a defense that puts the O in good positions.  After two games I've seen enough to feel that we have a defense that is capable of doing that..........

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I agree the offense is still an unknown commodity at this point.   But again I say that we are on track to have a season more similar to 2016 than 2017.   This team showed the ability to score some points from time to time in '16.  It will take all cogs of the machine working together of course.  

I'm really encouraged by 7 sacks against MVSU and forcing two turnovers against a Top 10 FBS program.  We run the type of offense that benefits from a defense that puts the O in good positions.  After two games I've seen enough to feel that we have a defense that is capable of doing that..........

Yes, in 2016 the offense put up just enough to win games (nearly all close wins), but the defense was definitely the primary driver of success with turnovers and defensive touchdowns. The offense, with the current arrangement, will be a liability against Sam Houston State, not a strength. UND wins only if the defense gets key stops including huge turnovers; fortunatley this is possible.

Honestly, the defense is the primary driver of success for every team that contends for a championship, regardless of the level of play.  Aside from the injury plagued 2017 season, I've seen mostly quality play on the defensive side of the ball during Bubbas regime, and that includes the limited sample size of the current season.  

I never coached high school football, but I'm not sure what I've seen from the offense two games into this season constitutes a "liabality" yet.  We are averaging over 200 yds a game on the ground so far, and one of the opponents we did it against is in the conversation to make the FBS playoff.  I really doubt my favorite squad has as bad of a showing offensively against any opponent the rest of the season as they did this past weekend against a team that may very will be playing on New Years Days ............

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Honestly, the defense is the primary driver of success for every team that contends for a championship, regardless of the level of play.  

Although true to a degree, the balance of power between the two sides of the ball falls on a spectrum; it is not black and white. UND under Bubba has always relied far more on their defense than they should; thus, the “punt is not a bad play” and “we like to play close games” mentality. It’s obvious Bubba embraces a philosophy of super conservatism on offense. 

Sam Houston is on a 21 game home winning streak.  Just a little flavor from their fan forum.

By The Numbers: Comparing the Fritz Home Win Streak and the Keeler Home Win Streak

So with last nights win we push our current home winning streak to 21 games, 2 shy of the record 23 game streak of the Fritz era. I was asked about how many of those wins were against playoff caliber teams and top 25 teams so it inspired me to take a look at some basic numbers that I actually have been tracking on a spread sheet for just this kinda situation.

I think for Keeler's streak to be the more impressive streak it would have to either go well beyond 23 wins by a large margin or, the wins would have to be as, or more dominant than the Fritz wins were from a defensive stand point

Sooooo  is it time for Sammy to begin thinking of another home winning streak after Sat's game.  Yep I think so.
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Although true to a degree, the balance of power between the two sides of the ball falls on a spectrum; it is not black and white. UND under Bubba has always relied far more on their defense than they should; thus, the “punt is not a bad play” and “we like to play close games” mentality. It’s obvious Bubba embraces a philosophy of super conservatism on offense. 

Agreed. I think defense is the key, but the offense still has to be capable and put points on the board. There should have never even been a doubt about going for it on 4th and 1 (the first time) especially against Washington. I'm not saying you always go for it in that scenario, but when you are playing a superior team, and you finally have a little offensive momentum, and you NEED to score, you absolutely go for it. 

Game 1: Outplayed our opponent the entire way, though not to the degree I was looking for. This could be because we had to knock some rust off, we had some players coming back from injury and need to re-acclimate, new players altogether, or maybe we just aren't as good as we hoped (time will tell).

Game 2: Truly hung in there longer than most expected, though we had opportunities to make it much closer. Can't fumble in our own end, that handed them points. Can't hesitate on 4th and 1 when we are driving, that again turned into points for them. Can't continue to miss FGs; those should be hit regardless of the opponent. By the end of the game, our defense had just been on the field too long, and were completely wore out.

Game 3: As everyone has been saying for a while .. this is your measuring stick. The talent and matchups make this game extremely winnable, BUT the coaches also need to call it right. If the Prairie View RB can run for 250 against SH, we should have no problem putting up some big numbers. That is not all on John, but the running back group should have a big day. See Prairie View, see the Bison last you. You CAN run against this team. Need to mix some passes in and be smart, but that should be easier against SH corners compared to Washington corners.

I liked how some of the players stepped up in the Washington game. Saw some flashes from Blubaugh, especially on special teams. Saw some flashes from Canady at safety. and Harris and Holm looked better, which I expect to see continued improvement as they bounce back from injury. 

As UND-FB-FAN previously, everything is not summed up by W or L, but everything cannot be summed up by the score either. This game was not a blowout until late in the game. UND hung tough with a superior opponent for a good chunk of the game. Now, I'm not into moral victories, but if you watch the game holistically there are some very encouraging aspects to this team. Reading Washington's message board; they were pretty ticked and frustrated until the 4th. They expected the game to be over by the end of the 1st and to be watching back ups play. Instead they saw us limit their star RB, and they had to watch their star QB play until the 4th.

I'm really pumped for next weekends game, and really do expect us to come away with a W. Bubba needs to make better decisions, and Rudy needs to make smarter decisions too (Rudy showed why he is not a coordinator as the FBS level, but he needs to seriously proved he even belongs at the FCS level). All that being said, players need to execute when their number is called. I would personally like to see a little less Toivenen and a little more Adeoti.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

We scored more than 25 in 4 games last year and won 3 of them. Sam scored more than 30 in all but 2 games last year, our offensive better put it in the end zone since we can’t kick and defense needs a lot of 3 and outs or it will be a long day.

Very winnable game if UND plays up to par 

Even with 9 in the box und should be able to run on them.  They have a stud longhorn transfer OLB that was the top LB in Texas coming out of high school.  He might cause some issues ..........nevertheless....Rudy is content to get back into his comfort zone using page one and only page one of his playbook for this game.  Will und have to play catch up ball?....and if so, can they keep up? 

sam will pass all over the field on und 

home cookin in favor of Sam 

UNDs D needs be to in Sams QB face all day long.  

Even if und wins the TOP by 20 mins, Sam needs only 2 mins to score.    Should be an interesting game  

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.  I really like the direction the OL is going, which was one of my biggest concerns going into this year.  My other biggest concern, the defensive backfield, is still a bit of a question mark.  I think we can pull together a full game and dominate in the trenches, and if we can get a balanced offensive attack and limit mistakes in the defensive backfield, we should have a great shot to win this one.  

I think my main concern with this game is special teams, and I think that if our FG kicking stays as is it could cost us a game, and this might be the one.  I haven't seen how anything in practice is, but if Leach is capable and he's just not confident, he needs to find that fast.

• Upvote 1