SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

2 hours ago, Maddogg1971 said:

That is the problem....lack of effort. I am the biggest Sioux fan around but i am so sick of our guys thinking they can just show up and win. Any kid in the country would love to play in this rink and have the facilities we have. If I were Berry i would make them dress over at Old memorial stadium and carry their bags to the Ralph and play. I don't care if we have blue-chippers or not. That has never been the issue with Fighting Sioux hockey. Right now the issue is who wants it more and who wants to come out of the corners with the puck with some tenacity and grit. We have lost our vision of what it means to play for the logo and North Dakota and until it changes it's going to be a long year. And don't tell me its way too early to panic. Anyone can see that the will is not there.

What I think you mean to say is that you desperately need the team to win to feel good about yourself, for some reason.   When they don't, your anger and frustration lead you to vent like this, and 90% of the time it's to say they could win if they cared enough to but don't.   

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I don't think he's the only one.  Last year was embarrassing. No one wants a repeat.

Of course not, but judging this year’s team 2 games in based on last year’s results is short sighted. 

I moved on from last season, and would recommend everyone else do the same. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Of course not, but judging this year’s team 2 games in based on last year’s results is short sighted. 

I moved on from last season, and would recommend everyone else do the same

Are you a dentist? :wink:

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I don't think he's the only one.  Last year was embarrassing. No one wants a repeat.

Sure, but people also need to remember it took multiple large upsets in conference tournaments for UND to miss the national tournament. No argument about them putting themselves in that spot, but almost every year the last decade, they make the tournament in the spot they finished in and in fact have made it finishing lower than that.

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

Haha.

I’m really just worried about everyone standing near the ledge so early in the season. 

I will always stand by the Sioux.....no matter what. But for the first time ever in my years of watching Sioux hockey, I'm really concerned about the lack of effort by the team. This is North Dakota, not Minnesota, BC, Denver or Michigan where you can get away with that. It used to be every year, opposing coaches would say about the Sioux is that "they just come in waves" no matter how much talent or lack there of. You never hear that anymore. We have won national titles with less talent. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tnt said:

I know we have high standards, but embarrassing isn't the word I would use considering we   A. had home ice for the playoffs again    B.  made the NCHC Frozen Faceoff again  C. Lost to the #1 overall seed in overtime in the faceoff &   D. beat the eventual National Champs in the frozen faceoff.     Was Duluth .0001 away from having an embarrassing year?   I know it is all perspective, but thought we were actually playing our best hockey at the end of the year. 

I wasn't using the word embarrassing to just sum up the wins and losses. There was a lot of other issues on and off the ice last year that could very easily be described as embarrassing for a program such as UND's.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I wasn't using the word embarrassing to just sum up the wins and losses. There was a lot of other issues on and off the ice last year that could very easily be described as embarrassing for a program such as UND's.

Gotcha.  Yeah, had those not been prevalent, we make the NCAA field, then who knows. 

1 hour ago, Maddogg1971 said:

It's been carried over from last year.

Pump the brakes a bit. I'm concerned as well, but Duluth started 1-2-2 last year. They beat Minnesota in OT to start the year, lost to Michigan Tech, lost 5-2 to Bemidji St, tied Bemidji 0-0 (sound familiar??), and then tied Merrimack (which finished 2nd to last in HE). I know that UMD barely made the NCAA tourney, but they also won the whole thing. UND's slow start is not uncommon or reason to panic yet. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, tnt said:

I know we have high standards, but embarrassing isn't the word I would use considering we   A. had home ice for the playoffs again    B.  made the NCHC Frozen Faceoff again  C. Lost to the #1 overall seed in overtime in the faceoff &   D. beat the eventual National Champs in the frozen faceoff.     Was Duluth .0001 away from having an embarrassing year?   I know it is all perspective, but thought we were actually playing our best hockey at the end of the year. 

This is some fantastic perspective on last year. The margin was razor thin on being national title contenders and not making the tournament.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Pump the brakes a bit. I'm concerned as well, but Duluth started 1-2-2 last year. They beat Minnesota in OT to start the year, lost to Michigan Tech, lost 5-2 to Bemidji St, tied Bemidji 0-0 (sound familiar??), and then tied Merrimack (which finished 2nd to last in HE). I know that UMD barely made the NCAA tourney, but they also won the whole thing. UND's slow start is not uncommon or reason to panic yet. 

They had severe injuries at the start of last year.  When they had everyone they won.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maddogg1971 said:

I will always stand by the Sioux.....no matter what. But for the first time ever in my years of watching Sioux hockey, I'm really concerned about the lack of effort by the team. This is North Dakota, not Minnesota, BC, Denver or Michigan where you can get away with that. It used to be every year, opposing coaches would say about the Sioux is that "they just come in waves" no matter how much talent or lack there of. You never hear that anymore. We have won national titles with less talent. 

It's been two games.