SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

Bold take but this has to be one of the most inconsistent hockey teams in program history. It is almost clockwork that if we steamroll a team on Friday night we will lay an egg Saturday night or vice versa. Whether it is a leadership issue, bad luck with injuries, or just not the top tier hockey players we are accustomed to bringing in, this is the time of year where we need momentum and I don't see that happening.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

When I see the above list I'd say "sophomore housecleaning" hasn't been happening under Berry. I don't know why. I suspect he didn't have someone ready to step in so he had to hold onto what are today highly under-performing junior and senior classes. 

Looking at the forwards in future recruits,  it looks like they are getting to the point where they are getting weighted more to the grinder/role player or ones that, based on junior experience may not be offensive impact players at the next level.  Of course that is always impossible to tell,  but if you aren't scoring in juniors you probably aren't going to go off in college.  I put, Gaber, Stratton, Costello, Schmaltz, Ness, Montgomery and Albrecht into that category.   I think Randklev and Mancinelli could be scorers in college, but wouldn't say that would be a sure thing.  Then you have guys that could become elite, with guys like Pinto, Caulfield, Rizzo, Blaisdell, Halliday, Kunz , and Bowen.  Since the four we have coming in next year have the potential to bolt after a few years, I hope we get more in the pipeline for a few years down the road.  I know that James has great potential, but that is years down the road.  I really like all of our defensive recruits, and just about all of them look like they can add some offense, but I sure don't want to get caught without high end forwards because a few of them bolted, and a few of them didn't pan out like they were projected to.  

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Since the 2000-01 roster (on FightingHawks.com) here are names that I recognize as not making past a sophomore season at UND. Most of these are Hakstol era; I do not claim the list is 100% accurate for including all names nor do I claim that there might not be a name on there that shouldn't be (meaning played at a junior). 

Nate Wright
Chris Fournier
Ryan Connelly
Derek Faul
Todd Alexander
Michael Forney
Anthony Grieco
Shea Hamilton
Landon Snider
Corey Fienhage
Graeme Harrington
Mike Cichy
Brett Bruneteau
Ryan Hill
Dan Senkbeil
Taylor Dickin
Wade Murphy
Mike Gornall
Chris Wilkie
Danys Chartrand
Matej Tomek

Brett Bruneteau also graduated and went to play with his brother as a grad-transfer. He’s not someone I’d have on this list.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

So what is the story on JJ? Why isn't he playing?

Apparently it's "undisclosed". JJ and Rhett were at the Kane Brown show last night buying beers and having a good time.  No "apparent" injury. 

34 minutes ago, sprig said:

Apparently it's "undisclosed". JJ and Rhett were at the Kane Brown show last night buying beers and having a good time.  No "apparent" injury. 

It seems to me that nobody is really talking about JJ that is involved with the team (i.e. players or Schlossman). Could it be something that isn't being talked about because nobody wants to touch the topic, or even ask about it, including the beat writer? That leads me to believe we may be dealing with a very sensitive subject here that is "off limits" for questions or comments...

7 minutes ago, GForks said:

It seems to me that nobody is really talking about JJ that is involved with the team (i.e. players or Schlossman). Could it be something that isn't being talked about because nobody wants to touch the topic, or even ask about it, including the beat writer? That leads me to believe we may be dealing with a very sensitive subject here that is "off limits" for questions or comments...

First, you're never going to get an official diagnosis on an athlete's injury. Obviously, we can see the play that knocked Mismash out of the lineup.  I also believe there are issues with the HIPAA. Maybe one of our lawyers can fill us in if they know something about that. 

In college, when players become adults, they tend to be less informed about what HIPAA is until confronted with an injury, local certified athletic trainers said.

"I think they don't understand unless they are told about it," said Purdue University Calumet certified athletic trainer Rachael Smith.

"I know I've had some athletes who are freshmen come in. We explain we can't talk to certain people about an injury, (and they say), 'Well, why not? I don't care, go talk to anyone you want about my injury.' You have to understand, we're in the medical field, if you go into a doctor's office and they have your chart, and your aunt comes in, they can't just give it to her. That's the same for us."

Though coaches don't need to cite HIPAA and can say what they'd like about injuries, "Let's face it," Emmert said, "the easiest thing is to say nothing." (nwitimes.com)

7 minutes ago, Goon said:

First, you're never going to get an official diagnosis on an athlete's injury. Obviously, we can see the play that knocked Mismash out of the lineup.  I also believe there are issues with the HIPAA. Maybe one of our lawyers can fill us in if they know something about that. 

You don't find it odd that there have been no questions or comments, or even a hint of anything, from anyone surrounding the team? Name another physical injury for UND where nobody says a word.

6 minutes ago, Goon said:

I know there are privacy issues, but it’s just a weird situation. He hasn’t played in months , but no one knows why. I just feel bad for him. Senior season, watching... 

7 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I know there are privacy issues, but it’s just a weird situation. He hasn’t played in months , but no one knows why. I just feel bad for him. Senior season, watching... 

Almost has to be grades or a Tyler Hirsch type of situation at this point.  

13 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Has he been practicing with the team ? I mean if your out drinking should at least be at practice .

Schloss could have at least mentioned this. He mentioned Thome is back at practice.

Very odd situation.........I saw JJ with his co-ed at the last home series. He was smiling from ear to ear and for good reason.

12 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Almost has to be grades or a Tyler Hirsch type of situation at this point.  

It's not disciplinary. Again, do you think Bubbs would go out of his way to call JJ the perfect player (or whatever the exact quote was) and just a few short weeks later, he's dismissed from the team? No. 

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It's not disciplinary. Again, do you think Bubbs would go out of his way to call JJ the perfect player (or whatever the exact quote was) and just a few short weeks later, he's dismissed from the team? No. 

So he's not hurt, it's not an illness, it's not disciplinary, it's not academic issues.....what's left?  I'll hang up and listen.

1 minute ago, GForks said:

"Illness" doesn't always mean physical ailment...

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Regarding JJ: A couple weeks ago Hennessy made it sound like JJ was out due to an illness that has cost him 20-25 pounds of body mass. 

Well.........I have been told I'm a little cra cra and that hasn't allowed me to lose 25 pounds!

50 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Schloss could have at least mentioned this. He mentioned Thome is back at practice.

Very odd situation.........I saw JJ with his co-ed at the last home series. He was smiling from ear to ear and for good reason.

Thought I might see the co-ed you previously mentioned. But last night appeared to be a boys' night out

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

That's why I said a Tyler Hirsch type of thing.  Tyler Hirsch wasn't disciplinary, he went bonkers.

Hope that's not the case but at this point it's clear it's not a physical injury. 

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:45 PM, Cratter said:

Suspicious JJ "injury." 

Guys on the team fighting over women.

Numerous other (practice) "injuries," so many UND needs to bring in a new goalie midseason.

Numerous underclassman players leaving the program early, and going to play for other collegiate teams.

Recruits decommitting to play for Brad Berry and some deciding to play for rival NCHC teams instead.

After never missing the tournament in a thousand years, Brad Berry misses it in 2 out of his 4 years!

What is going on with Brad Berry led hockey teams? He's only a couple years in and there is already a lot of troubling signs!

Fire Haks!