SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Not singling you out, Irish! It's all good, man. I think it's fair to be concerned. Coach speak is hockey. Hockey is the sport of cliches. I don't think it's constructive or helps to improve our program or overall standing for a coach to rip his players in the media. I think part of the lack of questions from the press is perspective. Two down years with loads of success previous to that and a loaded pipeline... I feel the fans are doing what fans do and overreacting. The media is keeping perspective, correctly, I believe. Boeser and Schmaltz were heavily recruited by UND before they landed. We lost one good player and he's a recruit. He could easily be the next Chris Wilkie.

And as frustrated as I am we need your perspective on this board too - we are nothing if not reactive.  I just hope things change soon.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Irish said:

And as frustrated as I am we need your perspective on this board too - we are nothing if not reactive.  I just hope things change soon.

I appreciate that! I think they will. I'm completely fine being called a homer and I'll admit when I am wrong. However, the toxicity around here has been awful. This team isn't where we want it to be, no doubt. The coaches know that and the players know this, too. But, we are absolutely close, IMO. There are some pretty incredible pieces on this team and more coming.

37 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

And I don't think we should be comparing Donovan to either of those or Jost. He's not that kind of a player. What if he's the next Chris Wilkie?

Well if he's the next Chris Wilkie he'd currently be tied for 2nd on this year's UND team in scoring (15 points) and leading the team in points per game since he has those 15 points in only 17 games.  There's a sobering stat for you to spin Stoney!

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

The coaches know that and the players know this, too.

Then why in almost every game this year minus what, 2 games? Has this team just came out completely flat in the 2nd. It's embarrassing and right after lack of scoring is the next thing on the list as to why we can't put up wins. They obviously aren't getting something or the first intermission locker speech needs a serious change

8 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Well if he's the next Chris Wilkie he'd currently be tied for 2nd on this year's UND team in scoring (15 points) and leading the team in points per game since he has those 15 points in only 17 games.  There's a sobering stat for you to spin Stoney!

I'll do no such spinning. Aka, he'd be a player who'd leave after two years because he couldn't score. Good try, though.

12 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'll do no such spinning. Aka, he'd be a player who'd leave after two years because he couldn't score. Good try, though.

He left cause he didn't get along with the coach.

How many others are on the team feel the same but decided to stick around, go through the motions, and are waiting to go to the next level, instead of transferring and sitting a year?

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

He left cause he didn't get along with the coach.

How many others are on the team feel the same but decided to stick around, go through the motions, and are waiting to go to the next level, instead of transferring and sitting a year?

Ok. This has nothing to do with the overall point of why I brought up Wilkie. 

Just now, Cratter said:

Hakstol never had a player jump to the NHL after one year.

Berry, only on year two, already had one.

C'mon, man. What are you trying to prove with this?? Jost has said nothing but good things since he left. Has also said he wanted to help his single mother who raised him his entire life. Cripes, can we stop this?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, burd said:

Scott Sandelin has won two banners at UMD, and he's been in the championship game two of the last three years.  He stands a good chance of going deep again this year.  Duluth is experiencing good times.  Look at his record. 

Beginning the fifth year of his career at UMD, he won 15, 11, 13, 13, and 13 games during the next 5 years.  He won 14 and 16  from '12 to '13.  UND has won 14 so far this year.  Sandelin has missed the playoffs half of his 18 years there.  Do you think the admin and fans are glad he's coaching there now?

(I think these numbers are correct)

Look at the program he took over....not a great comparison with our program.  Bubs inherited a gem.  Don’t want to get into the fire Bubs argument however I simply wanted to point out the error in the comparison. 

41 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Still pissed he left.

1 minute ago, 90siouxfan said:

I wonder if Wilkie left because emphasis on player development is skewed toward defensively responsible forward as a path to the NHL vs creative fun play?

Maybe stone will weigh in, surely the sight could use the hits?

Wow... you're really cool, buddy. Feel free to direct message me if you need to get something off your chest. Haven't been able to blog in a while, unfortunately. 

Enjoy being sad about the state of the program.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Sorry, I was just clarifying if you meant you were upset he left or were implying TheFlop was. 

I think his offensive skills would have helped us last year and definitely this year. I think he is one who takes a while to feel comfortable when moving to new levels.  I noticed he struggled his first year in the ushl and had a much better second year.