SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:33 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Folks do realize that UND’s NCAA consecutive appearances run was the second longest in history. What UND did is far from normal or expected. 

You make a great point, I hear you, yet a good number of folks on this board wanted Haks fired despite that achievement cus he kept coaching badly in the FF and natty final.    

10 hours ago, grinder22 said:

Bold take but this has to be one of the most inconsistent hockey teams in program history. It is almost clockwork that if we steamroll a team on Friday night we will lay an egg Saturday night or vice versa. Whether it is a leadership issue, bad luck with injuries, or just not the top tier hockey players we are accustomed to bringing in, this is the time of year where we need momentum and I don't see that happening.

What you're saying is spot on but what it means is it's essentially an average team or just slightly above average cus we have beaten some good teams on several occasions (although lost/tied some games to less than average teams), hence the #21 (?) PW ranking.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

That's why I said a Tyler Hirsch type of thing.  Tyler Hirsch wasn't disciplinary, he went bonkers.

Hope that's not the case but at this point it's clear it's not a physical injury. 

Is that the proper medical terminology for his condition?:wink:

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2019 at 4:20 AM, Cratter said:

You must have missed the part where I wrote Bubbs will miss the NCAA tournament in back to back years.

That hasn't happened at UND in over 20+ years.

Something that has happened at every other university in the last 12 years and for every school other than DU, it was this decade. 

DUs two misses were the two years immediately following their back to back titles. Did they suddenly no longer become an elite program? 

4 hours ago, southpaw said:

Something that has happened at every other university in the last 12 years and for every school other than DU, it was this decade. 

DUs two misses were the two years immediately following their back to back titles. Did they suddenly no longer become an elite program? 

So........how many consecutive missed NCAAs is too many to stop making excuses and watered down comparisons?

Asking for a former coach named Gino.

• Upvote 1

Scott Sandelin has won two banners at UMD, and he's been in the championship game two of the last three years.  He stands a good chance of going deep again this year.  Duluth is experiencing good times.  Look at his record. 

Beginning the fifth year of his career at UMD, he won 15, 11, 13, 13, and 13 games during the next 5 years.  He won 14 and 16  from '12 to '13.  UND has won 14 so far this year.  Sandelin has missed the playoffs half of his 18 years there.  Do you think the admin and fans are glad he's coaching there now?

(I think these numbers are correct)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Tin foil hat? So, it's a conspiracy to think it's irrational? LOL

The "conspiracy" is the on going excuses and enabling of a program in decline from lots of people associated with this program right now. We here about it postgame, on the radio during game coverage and in the newspaper. There was a reason UND had not missed the NCAA in years and back to back misses in even more years. Standards are in place for a reason, "culture", "history", "process", but they become hallow when the fire out of the dumpster gets higher and higher. Let's have those involved just call this program in it's current state for what it is and I think most of us can deal with it. Will the program get back to respectability and beyond and to what their loyal fans are used to....absolutely. When....who knows?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

The "conspiracy" is the on going excuses and enabling of a program in decline . There was a reason UND had not missed the NCAA in years and back to back missed in even more years. Standards are in place for a reason, "culture", "history", "process", but they become hallow when the fire out of the dumpster gets higher and higher. Let's just call all of this program in it's current state for what it is and I think most of us can deal with it. Will the program get back to respectability and what their loyal fans are used to....absolutely. When....who knows?

Those are good observations.  Culture means a great deal, and the culture under Blais and Hak was superb.   It's a little difficult to tell whether Berry cannot establish that culture after a banner and two followup years, though.  If there are identifiable reasons whey the boys are not winning, then you have to look at a change.  With Hak, the criticism was results more than reasons.  And a single result factor at that.   

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

The "conspiracy" is the on going excuses and enabling of a program in decline . There was a reason UND had not missed the NCAA in years and back to back missed in even more years. Standards are in place for a reason, "culture", "history", "process", but they become hallow when the fire out of the dumpster gets higher and higher. Let's just call all of this program in it's current state for what it is and I think most of us can deal with it. Will the program get back to respectability and what their loyal fans are used to....absolutely. When....who knows?

When your "decline" is from 17 years of making the tournament, 2 years to can a coach is irrational. 

23 minutes ago, burd said:

Scott Sandelin has won two banners at UMD, and he's been in the championship game two of the last three years.  He stands a good chance of going deep again this year.  Duluth is experiencing good times.  Look at his record. 

Beginning the fifth year of his career at UMD, he won 15, 11, 13, 13, and 13 games during the next 5 years.  He won 14 and 16  from '12 to '13.  UND has won 14 so far this year.  Sandelin has missed the playoffs half of his 18 years there.  Do you think the admin and fans are glad he's coaching there now?

(I think these numbers are correct)

I like our forward recruits coming in next year compared to Duluth's, but obviously recruits can surprise.  Luke Mylymok only has 3 goals, 8 assists in the USHL, Jake Hale had 0 points and appears to be with Minot now, and Luke Loheit has 8 goals, 16 assists in the BCHL.  If we had guys coming in with those numbers, we would be in all out panic mode.  Not sure if they have someone else coming in that wasn't on Heisenberg or not, but they definitely would have probably taken Ryder Donovan next year.  Again, as with Mark Senden, stats can sometimes be deceiving, but I like the look of our recruits going forward.  

It’s irrational to keep your head in the sand while Rome’s burning also. The last two seasons we have been in the bottom of the league in scoring and PP % but who’s keeping track of such silly unimportant things. This team can’t score consistently either 5x5 or on the power play and they play very uninspired hockey by ND standards,but hey other teams have the same issues. Those teams don’t have the history, facilities and culture as the University of North Dakota, we should expect better results and this  lands in mr. Berry’s lap.

I can see both sides,:

Do I think it's premature to fire the coach? Yes.

Do I think missing the tournament two years in a row is acceptable? No.

Do I believe they've fallen as far as some want to believe? No

Do I believe they will be back next year? Yes

What my problem is currently is nobody is asking the tough questions and putting any pressure on this coaching staff. The local media just makes excuses for why things are happening.  The latest "look where Michigan, Boston and Minnesota" spin really pissed me off. Ultimately, I fell there's no accountability being taken by the coaching staff and there's nobody that will but pressure on them.

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It's not an inference. it's a statement how I feel about it. It's seems incredibly irrational to have a panic attack bail after two years when we've been so successful for the previous 17.  

In the same token, you should see why people have concern, with numerous other things that have happened that have never happened before.  The fact that we will finish lower in the NCHC than we were projected to finish for the 3rd straight year is concerning to me, but I'm not ready to pull the plug.  Next year will be a tell tale for me, especially if none of the talented freshmen put up any numbers, because that would suggest to me there is more going on than just talent level.  

1 minute ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

It’s irrational to keep your head it the sand while Rome’s burning also. The last two seasons we have been in the bottom of the league in scoring and PP % but who’s keeping track of such silly unimportant things. This team can’t score consistently either 5x5 or on the power play and they play very uninspired hockey by ND standards but hey other teams have the same issues. Those teams don’t have the history, facilities and culture as the University of North Dakota, we should expect better results and thus lands in mr. Berry’s lap.

We missed the tourney by one game last year. One less tie. And this year is not over. All those things aren't great and I'm not ignoring them, but moving a coach based on this is absolutely irrational. Our problem the 1 and 3/4 seasons is scoring. We are bringing in 4 heralded recruits and our pipeline is incredibly highly touted. Bailing on a coach puts that pipeline at risk. So, to fix our problem of scoring, we need those players, but you want to fire the coach. Got it. 

The shortsightedness is within our fan base is incredible.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Regarding JJ: A couple weeks ago Hennessy made it sound like JJ was out due to an illness that has cost him 20-25 pounds of body mass. 

I believe Schlossman also mentioned this in an interview between periods a while back and neither have mentioned it again since. They both mentioned he had lost quite a bit of weight.