SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

Just now, tnt said:

In the same token, you should see why people have concern, with numerous other things that have happened that have never happened before.  The fact that we will finish lower in the NCHC than we were projected to finish for the 3rd straight year is concerning to me, but I'm not ready to pull the plug.  Next year will be a tell tale for me, especially if none of the talented freshmen put up any numbers, because that would suggest to me there is more going on than just talent level.  

I absolutely see the cause for concern. It's the START of a trend that, if continued, would be concerning. 

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We missed the tourney by one game last year. One less tie. And this year is not over. All those things aren't great and I'm not ignoring them, but moving a coach based on this is absolutely irrational. Our problem the 1 and 3/4 seasons is scoring. We are bringing in 4 heralded recruits and our pipeline is incredibly highly touted. Bailing on a coach puts that pipeline at risk. So, to fix our problem of scoring, we need those players, but you want to fire the coach. Got it. 

The shortsightedness is within our fan base is incredible.

#ifonlyJoststuckaround

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

I can see both sides,:

Do I think it's premature to fire the coach? Yes.

Do I think missing the tournament two years in a row is acceptable? No.

Do I believe they've fallen as far as some want to believe? No

Do I believe they will be back next year? Yes

What my problem is currently is nobody is asking the tough questions and putting any pressure on this coaching staff. The local media just makes excuses for why things are happening.  The latest "look where Michigan, Boston and Minnesota" spin really pissed me off. Ultimately, I fell there's no accountability being taken by the coaching staff and there's nobody that will but pressure on them.

I agree, I agree, I agree, I agree hahaha. 

I disagree on the accountability. The town and this board are great examples. If we continue to struggle, the pressure will continue to amp up.

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We missed the tourney by one game last year. One less tie. And this year is not over. All those things aren't great and I'm not ignoring them, but moving a coach based on this is absolutely irrational. Our problem the 1 and 3/4 seasons is scoring. We are bringing in 4 heralded recruits and our pipeline is incredibly highly touted. Bailing on a coach puts that pipeline at risk. So, to fix our problem of scoring, we need those players, but you want to fire the coach. Got it. 

The shortsightedness is within our fan base is incredible.

No, Stoney, I'm not saying fire Berry.  It's too soon.   Right now, people are disappointed, but we don't have broad enough experience to identify problems with any confidence.  We know he can game coach a banner.  Whether he can establish and maintain a consistent winning culture, we do not know.  We also do not know that he can't.   I tend to have confidence in him.   They have been very close both these last two years.  

5 minutes ago, AJS said:

I can see both sides,:

Do I think it's premature to fire the coach? Yes.

Do I think missing the tournament two years in a row is acceptable? No.

Do I believe they've fallen as far as some want to believe? No

Do I believe they will be back next year? Yes

What my problem is currently is nobody is asking the tough questions and putting any pressure on this coaching staff. The local media just makes excuses for why things are happening.  The latest "look where Michigan, Boston and Minnesota" spin really pissed me off. Ultimately, I fell there's no accountability being taken by the coaching staff and there's nobody that will but pressure on them.

The article talking about older recruits seems a little odd, considering a great number of our current players have played a year or two of juniors and came in with a lot of junior experience. 

Just now, burd said:

No, Stoney, I'm not saying fire Berry.  It's too soon.   Right now, people are disappointed, but we don't have broad enough experience to identify problems with any confidence.  We know he can game coach a banner.  Whether he can establish and maintain a consistent winning culture, we do not know.  We also do not know that he can't.   I tend to have confidence in him.   They have been very close both these last two years.  

I'm glad you're not, but so many are and I just don't understand it. He's gotta prove it, again, it seems. And I'm all for that. The past two years have been very frustrating, but it's just two years (and this one isn't even finished) and we're close. We're not talking about a 10 win team here. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Schloss tweeted last night no word on Scheel yet. Still undergoing tests and waiting on results.

A few days out from the injury and that's the response indicates not so good new coming. 

Or are they waiting for the swelling to go down? 

The one thing that has impressed me is that Berry doesn't seem to have lost this team.  Yes, we lost Saturday against Western Michigan, but what I saw last weekend had me thinking we could really make a run, as the players seemed all in.  The Scheel injury has really put a damper on that for me though.  Here's hoping for the best possible news. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, tnt said:

The one thing that has impressed me is that Berry doesn't seem to have lost this team.  Yes, we lost Saturday against Western Michigan, but what I saw last weekend had me thinking we could really make a run, as the players seemed all in.  The Scheel injury has really put a damper on that for me though.  Here's hoping for the best possible news. 

The loss of Scheel felt a lot bigger than the loss to WMU as he skated off the ice. I have confidence that Thome can get it done, but Scheel has just been awesome this year. So impressive.

I don't think there's a question with effort level. Sadly, they didn't show up in the two most killer games this season. 

42 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So a .500 record in making the NCAA tourney is the new norm?

i guess home playoffs every other year will be ok also.

The big worry isn't UND is going to miss the NCAA tournament back to back years. It's Bubba is going to miss the NCAA tournament in back to back years in only his 4th year as head coach at UND.

18 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We missed the tourney by one game last year.

To your point, they finished in the exact same spot in the Pairwise that they had in previous years and made the tournament during the streak, the chips just didn't fall in their favor last year, yet somehow we need to jump off a ledge. Not to mention #14 in the Pairwise had made the tournament every year since 2008. No one is excited about it, but to pretend they hadn't been in the same spot before and got a bounce or two go their way to get into the tournament is just putting your head in the sand.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

To your point, they finished in the exact same spot in the Pairwise that they had in previous years and made the tournament during the streak, the chips just didn't fall in their favor last year, yet somehow we need to jump off a ledge. Not to mention #14 in the Pairwise had made the tournament every year since 2008. No one is excited about it, but to pretend they hadn't been in the same spot before and got a bounce or two go their way to get into the tournament is just putting your head in the sand.

Nope. Bubbs' fault. Traditions are breaking down :)

12 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So there’s no question but they didn’t show up for two games? It’s ok fellas we can’t skate hard for two gsmes m, you gave it all yesterday, come on man!!!!

Ok, fine. Go ahead and question their effort level. Your call. I certainly won't. They had a bad weekend at the worst possible time, no doubt. But, this team works hard night in and night out. 

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Nope. Bubbs' fault. Traditions are breaking down :)

At least (potentially) finishing in the 20s Pairwise will let all the air out fo the "what if" balloon for this season so there's that.

Just now, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So we shouldn’t question the effort when they get swept by the 54th place in the country, hmmmmm.

Who is saying this?! I JUST said they laid an egg on that weekend at the worst time.

You can certainly question them on this weekend. All yours. I'm telling you I think it's silly to question their effort level based on this.