SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

LOL bet ya he won't be a first rounder. He's falling, consistently, in draft rankings. Good player, but he's not even close to Jost.

You also said Jonny Tychonick was a guaranteed first rounder. I take your player evaluating skills with a grain of salt.

Not that it matters Ryder, first rounder or not, would have made a difference on this upcoming hockey team. And coulda/woulda/been another example of "if we only had this one player. We would have been better."

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

You also said Jonny Tychonick was a guaranteed first rounder. I take your player evaluating skills with a grain of salt.

Not that it matters Ryder, first rounder or not, would have made a difference on this upcoming hockey team. And coulda/woulda/been another example of "if we only had this one player. We would have been better."

I did? If so, oops. Care to prove that? 

Would he have? I take your player evaluating skills with a grain of salt ;)

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

You made the comparison of Donovan to Jost. I'm saying Jost is and will be better. If I get this wrong, so be it. 

What you're saying is fine, though. I agree with you. I think he could have made this team better. 

2 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I'm just saying we should question a lot of things with this team , coaches , effort etc

You're right, my bad. I think it's certainly fine to question our team, coaches and all the things of the like. But, I feel like it's gotten extreme. 

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Because it's irrational.

Not really.  Irrational is expecting people to keep shelling out premium money ($1000+ a year for tickets.....$8 for beers.....etc) for a non-premium product.  It would be like Kansas missing the NCAA basketball tournament 2 years in a row........

• Upvote 2

Just now, TheFlop said:

Not really.  Irrational is expecting people to keep shelling out premium money ($1000+ a year for tickets.....$8 for beers.....etc) for a non-premium product.  It would be like Kansas missing the NCAA basketball tournament 2 years in a row........

You think KU would/should fire Bill Self after two missed tournaments after winning consistently for 17 years? I don't.

3 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Stop bringing the "value" part of the equation into play. It doesn't fit the narrative of the last few pages here.

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

You think KU would/should fire Bill Self after two missed tournaments after winning consistently for 17 years? I don't.

They wouldn't, but he would catch plenty of heat even with the excellent track record.....that's just how big time college sports are.  As you cited, Berry doesn't have that track record so it's not irrational, though it is unlikely, that he would be gone after 2 missed NCAA's.  

2 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

They wouldn't, but he would catch plenty of heat even with the excellent track record.....that's just how big time college sports are.  As you cited, Berry doesn't have that track record so it's not irrational, though it is unlikely, that he would be gone after 2 missed NCAA's.  

He's gotten plenty heat and rightfully so. I guess it's fair to not have Bubbs a part of that 17 year run since he wasn't the head guy for most of it. Even by standards of all college sports, it's irrational to fire a coach after 4 seasons, two of which bring a tournament and one of which brings a national championships. 

49 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He's gotten plenty heat and rightfully so. I guess it's fair to not have Bubbs a part of that 17 year run since he wasn't the head guy for most of it. Even by standards of all college sports, it's irrational to fire a coach after 4 seasons, two of which bring a tournament and one of which brings a national championships. 

I think it's because his natty feels inherited.  If he took over at a point when the team was struggling, then righted the ship and delivered a title, it would paint a different picture.

39 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

At least we are properly framing the problem.  Here is what many posters are looking at - Berry took over a program loaded with NHL talent and hard chargers.  He did a great job and led them to a much anticipated championship.  Since then it has been downhill both in wins and talent.  We are poised to miss the tournament for the second year in a row after making it 17 consecutive years.  The talent is the lowest since the last years of Gino - after 3 bad seasons then we fired a coach that had led us to 3 National Championships.  The optics for our program are horrible - absolutely no scoring punch - guys who are not developing.  Uneven play.  Can't hold leads.  Canesius.  Not playing a full 60.  Ill timed penalties.  Guys on the roster for 3 years who bring no scoring to the table.  And imagine what this season would be if we didn't have a stud goalie.  Many are concerned with the trajectory of this program even more so than missing the tournament for two years.  Tell me where I am wrong. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish said:

At least we are properly framing the problem.  Here is what many posters are looking at - Berry took over a program loaded with NHL talent and hard chargers.  He did a great job and led them to a much anticipated championship.  Since then it has been downhill both in wins and talent.  We are poised to miss the tournament for the second year in a row after making it 17 consecutive years.  The talent is the lowest since the last years of Gino - after 3 bad seasons then we fired a coach that had led us to 3 National Championships.  The optics for our program are horrible - absolutely no scoring punch - guys who are not developing.  Uneven play.  Can't hold leads.  Canesius.  Not playing a full 60.  Ill timed penalties.  Guys on the roster for 3 years who bring no scoring to the table.  And imagine what this season would be if we didn't have a stud goalie.  Many are concerned with the trajectory of this program even more so than missing the tournament for two years.  Tell me where I am wrong. 

The roster was already the roster since the title season, so bold point one, you're squaring that only on Bubbs? Seems unfair since he wasn't the HC. Ok, so does Bubbs get one more year? Ok, cool. Moving on. Next bold point, and many are not.... I've already noted this, but, our problem is forward scoring, correct? Well, we have a pipeline of scoring coming in starting next season.... (Bubbs' second primary HC recruiting class) ... getting rid of the coach puts this at risk and hinders us getting back. You willing to put that at risk? 

8 minutes ago, Irish said:

Did you mention the "what if Jost stayed" angle. Think you missed that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

The roster was already the roster since the title season, so bold point one, you're squaring that only on Bubbs? Seems unfair since he wasn't the HC. Ok, so does Bubbs get one more year? Ok, cool. Moving on. Next bold point, and many are not.... I've already noted this, but, our problem is forward scoring, correct? Well, we have a pipeline of scoring coming in starting next season.... (Bubbs' second primary HC recruiting class) ... getting rid of the coach puts this at risk and hinders us getting back. You willing to put that at risk? 

First, I am not saying Fire Berry after this season.  I am saying that we should be concerned and as of now no one is convinced that Berry "gets it".  It is so hard to tell through all of the coachspeak and lack of any questions from the press.  At a minimum Shaw should be gone.  Our power play is an embarrassment to hockey.  I think changes need to be made - maybe Berry is willing to make them but who knows.   As to the roster being set, quite often in addition to early recruits we bring in the finishing touches.  See the championship season with the additions of Boesser and Schmaltz.  Now we are losing good players to the very team we got these two studs from. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Irish said:

First, I am not saying Fire Berry after this season.  I am saying that we should be concerned and as of now no one is convinced that Berry "gets it".  It is so hard to tell through all of the coachspeak and lack of any questions from the press.  At a minimum Shaw should be gone.  Our power play is an embarrassment to hockey.  I think changes need to be made - maybe Berry is willing to make them but who knows.   As to the roster being set, quite often in addition to early recruits we bring in the finishing touches.  See the championship season with the additions of Boesser and Schmaltz.  Now we are losing good players to the very team we got these two studs from. 

Not singling you out, Irish! It's all good, man. I think it's fair to be concerned. Coach speak is hockey. Hockey is the sport of cliches. I don't think it's constructive or helps to improve our program or overall standing for a coach to rip his players in the media. I think part of the lack of questions from the press is perspective. Two down years with loads of success previous to that and a loaded pipeline... I feel the fans are doing what fans do and overreacting. The media is keeping perspective, correctly, I believe. Boeser and Schmaltz were heavily recruited by UND before they landed. We lost one good player and he's a recruit. And I don't think we should be comparing Donovan to either of those or Jost. He's not that kind of a player. What if he's the next Chris Wilkie?

• Upvote 1