SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 minute ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

No home playoffs, when was the last time we missed that?

probably no Nchc final four

no ncaas for second straight year

but every thing is ok nothing to see here.

All of those things suck. If they all happen. 

By gosh, I'm sold. This sold me! Fire Bubbs!! 

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Suspicious JJ "injury." 

Guys on the team fighting over women.

Numerous other (practice) "injuries," so many UND needs to bring in a new goalie midseason.

Numerous underclassman players leaving the program early, and going to play for other collegiate teams.

Recruits decommitting to play for Brad Berry and some deciding to play for rival NCHC teams instead.

After never missing the tournament in a thousand years, Brad Berry misses it in 2 out of his 4 years!

What is going on with Brad Berry led hockey teams? He's only a couple years in and there is already a lot of troubling signs!

The two I have in bold are what people are questioning. Donovan (we'll see how he ends up), is the only player / recruit that has a chance to make any kind of impact. Not a single underclassman that left early under Berry or Hakstol who transferred was a loss for the team. Outside of Donovan, guys that decommitted would fall into the "pushed out" category, for the lack of a better term. Those are guys that didn't materialize and wouldn't have been impact players. 

Onto your other stuff, the only thing of substance is it's looking like Berry will miss the tournament two years in a row, that's a big deal. He deserves blame, but the points you are making are either non-issues when discussing why, or out of his control. Look elsewhere. If you want to talk special teams, the way the roster is structured (i.e. Junior class), I think those are more valid points. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AJS said:

The two I have in bold are what people are questioning. Donovan (we'll see how he ends up), is the only player / recruit that has a chance to make any kind of impact. Not a single underclassman that left early under Berry or Hakstol who transferred was a loss for the team. Outside of Donovan, guys that decommitted would fall into the "pushed out" category, for the lack of a better term. Those are guys that didn't materialize and wouldn't have been impact players. 

Onto your other stuff, the only thing of substance is it's looking like Berry will miss the tournament two years in a row, that's a big deal. He deserves blame, but the points you are making are either non-issues when discussing why, or out of his control. Look elsewhere. If you want to talk special teams, the way the roster is structured (i.e. Junior class), I think those are more valid points. 

Spot on. Exactly my sentiment.

5 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

No home playoffs, when was the last time we missed that?

probably no Nchc final four

no ncaas for second straight year

but every thing is ok nothing to see here.

I think this sums it up.......

tenor.gif

21 minutes ago, AJS said:

Your whole first paragraph is one big guess, wish, hope, and/or dream. You don't know if the players that decomitted from UND would have or haven't been impact players.

Lots of guessing just like the posts  "What happened to JJ"?

Same as the previous years "What's up with the Tomek situation?" If you followed the team closely, people noticed something didn't pass the smell test.

Team will miss back to back tournaments. UND won't even have home ice in the first round of the NCHC playoffs. Some people will look at the Herald and think "oh its must be cause UND doesn't have the right roster structure this year."  I know its hard for some people to see the bigger picture.

Just now, Cratter said:

Point is everyone is guessing. Just like "What happened to JJ."

Same as the previous years "What's up with the Tomek situation?" If you followed the team closely, people noticed something didn't pass the smell test.

Team will miss back to back tournaments. UND won't even have home ice in the first round of the NCHC playoffs. I know its hard for some people to try and look at a bigger picture.

It's hard to argue the bigger picture really being a problem when you make the points you did.

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Since we’re all so smart, everyone who had Keane skating top six in February and Senden arguably the MVP turn in your winning tickets now. 

Senden blew me away this year. So impressed. Knew the kid would work hard, but man, he's been great. Keane wouldn't be playing top 6 if JJ and Mash were healthy.

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Point is everyone is guessing. Just like "What happened to JJ."

Team will miss back to back tournaments. UND won't even have home ice in the first round of the NCHC playoffs. Some people will look at the Herald and think "oh its must be cause UND doesn't have the right roster structure this year."  I know its hard for some people to see the bigger picture.

I like to think I follow this team pretty closely, I'm not really following the JJ / Tomek angle. I'm genuinely interested when you talk about the bigger picture. Where I might disagree with some is although I'm in complete agreement that these two past years have been unacceptable for UND's standards, I also don't think that they are that far off. If your bigger picture is the wheels completely coming off (by that I mean they drop into the bottom half of the NCHC for years to come / continue to miss tournaments), then I disagree. Only time will tell, but like I mentioned, with the goaltending / defense this team has currently and the incoming talent (along with some guys that have potential currently on the roster), a turn around next year is likely. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

I like to think I follow this team pretty closely, I'm not really following the JJ / Tomek angle. I'm genuinely interested when you talk about the bigger picture. Where I might disagree with some is although I'm in complete agreement that these two past years have been unacceptable for UND's standards, I also don't think that they are that far off. If your bigger picture is the wheels completely coming off (by that I mean they drop into the bottom half of the NCHC for years to come / continue to miss tournaments), then I disagree. Only time will tell, but like I mentioned, with the goaltending / defense this team has currently and the incoming talent (along with some guys that have potential currently on the roster), a turn around next year is likely. 

I, too, want to hear more about the bigger picture from his angle. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

And if my aunt had ... 

Why aren’t Hoff, Bowen, Yon playing there over Keane.

Like the comedic relief. This forward group in general is a mess, I've been pleasantly surprised by Keane, but him playing in the Top 6 is a coaching decision more than anything else. Bowen or Hoff easily could and Keane could be on the 4th line, not really sure what your point is. Weatherby went from the 4th line two weeks ago to the 1st line last week. In all reality right now they have 4 guys who are Top 6 guaranteed, a third line which won't be broken up (or should they), everyone else in interchangeable (which isn't a good thing). 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

You should have followed the JJ/Tomek angle more. It could turn into a microcosm of the Berry UND tenure (or maybe not).

I don't pretend to see the future. I don't know if UND will finish in the bottom half of the NCHC next year or win a national championship.

People like to project their own feelings on posts.

If one writes all true statements, one can easily project their own feeling onto that post and think that person is immediately calling for that coach to be fired. Even if said post said no such thing.

Lots of people thought a turn around "next year is likely" too last year.

25 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Your whole first paragraph is one big guess, wish, hope, and/or dream. You don't know if the players that decomitted from UND would have or haven't been impact players.

It's a pretty educated guess when the list is Gornall, Huber, Chartrand, Tomek, Wilkie and Mattson.